View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 11:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 "The Punisher" development updates and dicussion *RELEASED* 

Post Re: I'd like permission to release an old work of mine.
Some more progress.

Finished leg, rocket fist and assault rifle.
Oh, and the Punisher palm.

No laser emitter showing though (Just pretend it's like Iron Man's palm laser thingies).

I think i'll have so scale the weapons down a whee bit, cause well... They're pretty much the same size as the whole guy... >________>'

Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:25 pm

The casings look a little small.

Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:44 pm

Captain Kicktar wrote:
The casings look a little small.

Not really.
They are the same size as the ejection port.

Thanks p3l :D

Last edited by MaximDude on Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:51 pm

MaximDude wrote:
Some more progress.

-Please to not be image quoting, thankee -Duh-

Finished leg, rocket fist and assault rifle.
Oh, and the Punisher palm.

No laser emitter showing though (Just pretend it's like Iron Man's palm laser thingies).

I think i'll have so scale the weapons down a whee bit, cause well... They're pretty much the same size as the whole guy... >________>'

Awesome :D

Hah, yeah, they weapons a little big :P

One problem with the hand though. I wanted to crystal showing so I could have a defined point to make the laser eject from, but I don't really need it, I can just make it come from the end of the palm and it will look fine. The only real problem is that when firing from the palm, the laser effect will go OVER the thumb. It would look a little silly, like an impossible object.

Unless you can use drawafterparents on emitted particles?

Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:03 pm
Profile WWW

now all you need is a red and gold overcoat....

Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:15 pm

Foogooman wrote:
One problem with the hand though. I wanted to crystal showing so I could have a defined point to make the laser eject from, but I don't really need it, I can just make it come from the end of the palm and it will look fine. The only real problem is that when firing from the palm, the laser effect will go OVER the thumb. It would look a little silly, like an impossible object.

Very well, i'll make something muzzle-like come out of the hand, or just move the thumb with the rest of the fingers.

Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:36 pm

I think it needs a different color other than silver.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:43 am

hax wrote:
I think it needs a different color other than silver.

The sprite has a lot of details though, and the silver is really intimidating. I'm not sure what other colors or decals you could add without compromising the style.

I suppose it is fairly plain though.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:52 am
Profile WWW

I'll admit, I'm really surprised that you're still plugging at this. I thought I swatted this fly a very long time ago, but I suppose being on a respite from modding CC opened up an opportunity for you to come in guns blazing once more.

My stance has not changed. I did this work on my own, and the code from others I did use I did so with explicit permission. It's the way things are done. If you find that you are so unoriginal that you feel you have to leech off of my sprites to get a decent release out of something, that is your problem alone.

Frankly I feel you've had plenty of time since this issue first came up to either find a spriter to sprite you something to call your own, or to take up and learn how to sprite yourself. Both options are highly favorable to "bastardizing" my work.

The most current and "fixed" version of the Behemoth has yet to be release publicly and was only spread around to a handful of people for internal testing, and is much more acceptable than the current public release is, which is why you must still find such flaw with it. However, point remains the sprites are not for you to use, regardless of how long I may or may not have been around/active.

My biggest problem is that I already held a pretty firm stance that I had a vision for this mod and your work just did not align with it at all. Honestly if you put half the effort into finding a new sprite to fit your work that you have fighting to take mine you'd have a released mod by now.

In my position of being the intellectual property owner of my Behemoth sprites, coding, weapons, etc, I hereby forbid you to release it publicly with your modifications, for the second time, and again implore you to find a spriter to move your mod along.

As an aside, the sprites posted by numgun are also not for public use, and have only been released internally to a few people whom I looked to for help regarding weapon functions, Grif, zalo, some I can't remember, and are also not to be used for other mods.

I hope that nails this coffin shut for good. With any luck the drama you've created with this thread are able to draw the attention of spriters that will provide you with the actor you finally need for an original work to complement your scripts.

~LFoW

EDIT-Thank you to zalo for bringing this to my attention, and to Duh, Grif, etc for defending my work.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:59 am

I have to agree with that hunk of text above me, If he said it once, he's probably not gonna change his mind. and anyways, the behemoth was amazing as it was, it didnt need anychanges >.< good luck on the robo-dude too. Also looking forward to the next update LFOW, and late congrats on fixing your computahmateur

Last edited by wiffles on Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:07 am

LowestFormOfWit wrote:
I'll admit, I'm really surprised that you're still plugging at this. I thought I swatted this fly a very long time ago, but I suppose being on a respite from modding CC opened up an opportunity for you to come in guns blazing once more.

My stance has not changed. I did this work on my own, and the code from others I did use I did so with explicit permission. It's the way things are done. If you find that you are so unoriginal that you feel you have to leech off of my sprites to get a decent release out of something, that is your problem alone.

Frankly I feel you've had plenty of time since this issue first came up to either find a spriter to sprite you something to call your own, or to take up and learn how to sprite yourself. Both options are highly favorable to "bastardizing" my work.

The most current and "fixed" version of the Behemoth has yet to be release publicly and was only spread around to a handful of people for internal testing, and is much more acceptable than the current public release is, which is why you must still find such flaw with it. However, point remains the sprites are not for you to use, regardless of how long I may or may not have been around/active.

My biggest problem is that I already held a pretty firm stance that I had a vision for this mod and your work just did not align with it at all. Honestly if you put half the effort into finding a new sprite to fit your work that you have fighting to take mine you'd have a released mod by now.

In my position of being the intellectual property owner of my Behemoth sprites, coding, weapons, etc, I hereby forbid you to release it publicly with your modifications, for the second time, and again implore you to find a spriter to move your mod along.

As an aside, the sprites posted by numgun are also not for public use, and have only been released internally to a few people whom I looked to for help regarding weapon functions, Grif, zalo, some I can't remember, and are also not to be used for other mods.

I hope that nails this coffin shut for good. With any luck the drama you've created with this thread are able to draw the attention of spriters that will provide you with the actor you finally need for an original work to complement your scripts.

~LFoW

EDIT-Thank you to zalo for bringing this to my attention, and to Duh, Grif, etc for defending my work.

TL;DR for everyone else: "You can't use my content."

Alright, fine. Maxim is doing the sprites so everything is good now. I tried for months before, and no one would sprite for me. So this was my next and final resort, and with all the drama I stirred up, my mod finally got attention.

So alright, I won't be using any of your content. And thank you Maxim, I couldn't do it without you.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:09 am
Profile WWW

What Maxim has done so far seems to fit what you need, however the hands (the Rocket one and the off hand that looks like it is holding something) are just recolored/gibs smashed over my own sprites, and need to go as well. The rest however looks great, and I wish you success with your endeavor.

Glad we got that cleared up.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:17 am

LowestFormOfWit wrote:
What Maxim has done so far seems to fit what you need, however the hands (the Rocket one and the off hand that looks like it is holding something) are just recolored/gibs smashed over my own sprites, and need to go as well. The rest however looks great, and I wish you success with your endeavor.

Glad we got that cleared up.

I'll need a mod to make a ruling on this, seeing as it is slightly different from the previous situation and I'd prefer not to further change the fist. Last I heard, resprites were not enough of a reason to remove a mod unless it is ONLY a resprite. The new rocket fist is a bit of a resprite, but it also functions differently.

Because of the nature of the weapon, the actual shape of the projectile matters. For example, harpoon guns. There have been quite a few versions done by different people, but all the sprites are more or less the same. They all have a long shaft and a barb on the end. This is similar to the situation with the rocket fist. The rocket fist will still need to come to somewhat of a point at the end and maintain its almost diamond-like shape, and it will still need an engine in the back.

If you inspect the rocket fist more closely, you will find that the sprite IS edited in more ways than just the color. It's just another harpoon, a little shorter than the first.

The engine is smaller, and the fist is a little less bulbous. So when taking functionality into account, I believe the recoloring and minor changes to the shape of the fist are enough to release it without your permission.

If a mod determines otherwise, then obviously some more changes will have to be made. So stand by Maxim, if you please

And thanks again Maxim, can't say it enough :)
I hope the drama isn't too much trouble

I've highlighted in red every pixel that is there on the original, but not there on the new one.

As you can see, there is just about the maximum amount of edits possible without making the over-all shape different. If there are any further edits, it is likely the weapon will not function the way I want it to.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:52 am
Profile WWW

Resprites usually don't make anybody care, because the mod makers
usually don't care, but in this case, since the Creator of the mod has
firmly stated his position on this matter you need to adhere to the mod-
maker's mandates.

Shorter:
I'm siding with LFoW on this one, because he is the primary owner
to the rights of his content.

Shortest: Do what he says. Or I will. No questions.
Basically I'll just nuke and pave it, if it comes to that.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:13 am
Profile WWW

Well then Maxim, if you would be so kind as to modify the sprite, I would appreciate it.

Still needs to have some kind of engine in back, and needs to come to SOME KIND of a point, but still be a fist. Just change the angle and put the fingers in a different configuration.

I'm sure you can do it :P

Or I can do it if you want, it's simple enough.

EDIT:

I actually just whipped up a more typical fist design, where the fist is square-ish(like a real fist at the side). Testing the effects in-game now.

EDIT AGAIN:

Alright, to apologize for all the drama, I started off the in-flight rocket fist:

So use that one from now on. It definitely needs some pretty-ing up though. I'm not very good at that :(

The size and shape are more-or-less what I want, but feel free to alter the shape or size slightly.

I'll make a new off-hand sprite too if you want me to as well. If you want me to, just keep working on the other stuff and don't worry about the off-hand.

Last edited by Foogooman on Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:51 am, edited 4 times in total.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:19 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next