View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 7:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 "The Punisher" development updates and dicussion *RELEASED* 

Post "The Punisher" development updates and dicussion *RELEASED*
RELEASED:

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=17719

A while back, LowestFormOfWit made a large dummy behemoth. It was pretty cool, it had rockets fists and a shotgun, but... it was unfinished. It was a good idea, he said he'd polish it, but he never did.

I did. I liked the idea so much that I decided to improve upon it. I made new weapons, and altered the way the actor works.

LowestFormOfWit did not want me to release it, some nerdy crap about it being his legacy or something.

Anyways, I want you guys to be able to enjoy it. Of course I would credit LFOW, he did most of the work. The reason I can't release it is because I'm no artist, I can't make my own sprites. I can't make it unique. Therefore I can't call it my own, and LFOW would cause a shitstorm if I released it without an admin's say-so first, or a large consensus among the community.

So I'll let you all decide what I do.

Here's what it is:

Dummy Behemoth with improved functionality. Improved joint strengths, all that good stuff. The actor itself works much better.

New weapons:
Improved Rocket Fist: Oh the joys of punching creatures 1/4 your size with your fist. Fire your fist at enemies, literally punching them to death. The Improved Rocket Fist does not explode. It will punch your enemies until it settles into some terrain, which usually happens fairly quickly. If for some reason it does not settle, it will self-destruct after a few seconds, causing little to no damage to it's surroundings. WARNING: In field tests, the fist has been known to turn around and fly back at the behemoth, use with caution.

Improved shotgun: Deadly at short at medium range, fires a spray of pellets preceded by two rows of barb balls. High mass balls in front, lower mass ones in back. The lower mass ones omit a shedding field, damaging anything they come in contact with, even at lower velocities. Pierce, smash, shred, that's how it works. Alternatively can be used as an area of denial weapon. Fire into the air and watch as the barb balls slowly float down to earth, effectively making an area unsafe for a few seconds.

Hands: Hands! The "Crush Fist" The dummy behemoth can now grab people and items. Pick them up by holding F. Rotate the mouse and release F to throw them at high velocities, or press fire to crush them in your massive grip. WARNING: ALMOST TOO FUN TO USE!

Flamethrower: Nicknamed "The Purger", it's more or less a basic flamethrower, but bigger. Useful for cleaning up evidence, removing light terrain, and of course killing clones. Due to it's size, it produces an invisible massive heatwave. This heatwave combined with the smoke the gun produces can effectively push rockets and dropships out of the way, should they be on a collision course with the behemoth. It's also capable of disarming your enemies without killing them by using the pressure produced from the heat. Disarm them so they are helpless and pick the up with the crush fist :D

Laser gun: Nicknamed "Justice" because it spares the innocent. Well, it spares innocent pieces of equipment. After all, guns don't kill people, clones do. Spray the light of justice upon your enemies and watch the evaporate in it's blinding holy light. Their equipment is completely unharmed, "Justice" won't even set off grenades dropped by dead clones.

Drone Launcher: The Behemoth is big. Really big. He can't really fit in most bases. Therefore, he needs a way to get in. Thus, the drone launcher. Fire the drone launcher to propel a coalition drone out of the business end of the gun. The drone will automatically brain hunt in some cases, in other cases it will attempt to return to the Behemoth to protect it. They have a mind of their own, and require some caution when being used. However, you can take control of them to override their minds, putting them completely in your control.

UPDATE:
This mod is in development with new sprites, being released as a brand new work. Read the thread for more details.

Release: soon

UPDATE:

UPDATE:
I'm... not sure why this gif is way out there... it just keeps doing that for some reason, I can't get it to stop...

The barb balls, after being fired into the air. As you can see, the light mass balls burst on contact, throw tiny needles around. You can see at the end, the higher mass ball he hits with his head when he falls does not break. The bursting barb balls usually come down first, unless firing at a low angle.

This one screwed up, but whatever, you get the idea. It's late :P

As you can see, all their gear including the grenades is left unharmed(except for one grenade the guy fell on)

Dropships might be heat resistant, but not pressure resistant

I just threw these gifs together, the most fun guns are the rocket fist and crush fist. More on that later ;)

I'm sure you noticed all the weapons are the same sprite. Again, I'm no artist. I will however change their sprites for release. Actors are hard, weapons are easy enough.

*These GIFs do not necessarily represent the finished product.

UPDATE:

Another GIF showing how the laser can't destroy items:

Comparison GIFS:

(In all the GIFs, the one on the right is his, the one on the left is mine)

LFOW:

Foogooman:

LFOW:

Foogooman:

LFOW:

Foogooman:

*these gifs do not necessarily represent the final product

UPDATE:

*this gifs does not necessarily represent the final product

Last edited by Foogooman on Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:24 am, edited 6 times in total.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:18 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: I'd like permission to release an old work of mine.
I want it! Those weapons sound incredible! If you can't release it, would it be cool if you could pm it to me?

Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:25 am

Benpasko wrote:
I want it! Those weapons sound incredible! If you can't release it, would it be cool if you could pm it to me?

Sure :wink:

Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:28 am
Profile WWW

Epic! That crush fist in particular sounds hilarious. Who's OP now, Necrons!?!?!?

Edit: Also, I just realized I can now achieve my dream of a Darkstorm Oni wrestling a Behemoth. And yes, that dream was just made up, but oh well.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:29 am
Loose Canon

Sounds awesome. You've got my vote. Could you just pm it to me too though, just in case it does fall through?

Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:06 am
Profile WWW
REAL AMERICAN HERO

You're welcome to release it in private but without the permission of the original publisher it's unethical as well as against forum rules to distribute the mod publicly.

You also cannot claim LFOW isn't active; he's logged in well within the previous month.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:06 am

Hrmm...Well, maybe if LFoW logs in soon, we can change his mind.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:15 am

Hyperkultra wrote:
Sounds awesome. You've got my vote. Could you just pm it to me too though, just in case it does fall through?

Well, I'm not PMing to anyone just yet. First of all, I still have some minor tweaking and playtesting to do. I figured I'd make this thread and work on it while the thread takes it's course. That way I would be done by the time I have an answer to whether or not I can release it. Also, I'd rather release it to everyone at the same time, should I be allowed to release at all.

Grif wrote:
You're welcome to release it in private but without the permission of the original publisher it's unethical as well as against forum rules to distribute the mod publicly.

You also cannot claim LFOW isn't active; he's logged in well within the previous month.

Well it's not so much about him never improving it, he very well might. It's about releasing my own version in which I did things that he never will. And frankly, I don't agree with your ethics and rules, but I only say that IF they have no exceptions. That's what I'm trying to find out. The rules are good for the general user because it prevents too many copies and variants of one thing being posted, cluttering the boards. Secondly it protects their intellectual property. If there was no rule about it, people would be stealing work and saying it's really theirs.

So in general, yes, they are a very good thing. But when someone like myself addresses the community and presents the situation, I believe it should be up to the admins to make exceptions or not. Don't follow the rules so blindly that it stops the community from releasing what truly is unique work, based off something someone else did.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:18 am
Profile WWW

If it's mostly his and he explicitly doesn't want you releasing it, you shouldn't.

It's kinda lame for him to do that, but he should be, and is, entitled to the ability to limit redistribution of his work.

If it were something that had a basis in his work but was entirely different and mostly your work now, my opinion on the matter would be different.

Foogooman wrote:
I can't make it unique.
Foogooman wrote:
Don't follow the rules so blindly that it stops the community from releasing what truly is unique work, based off something someone else did.

...?

Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:15 am

Azukki wrote:
If it's mostly his and he explicitly doesn't want you releasing it, you shouldn't.

It's kinda lame for him to do that, but he should be, and is, entitled to the ability to limit redistribution of his work.

If it were something that had a basis in his work but was entirely different and mostly your work now, my opinion on the matter would be different.

Foogooman wrote:
I can't make it unique.
Foogooman wrote:
Don't follow the rules so blindly that it stops the community from releasing what truly is unique work, based off something someone else did.

...?

I don't know, the actor was by LFoW, but this has so many weapons added, maybe he could release the weapons as an expansion for the behemoth rte? As in, give the files for the weapons to us, and have us graft it into the behemoth mod ourselves.

Of course, though, I would rather just get the whole file in a pm.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:33 am

Benpasko wrote:
Azukki wrote:

Foogooman wrote:
I can't make it unique.
Foogooman wrote:

...?

I don't know, the actor was by LFoW, but this has so many weapons added, maybe he could release the weapons as an expansion for the behemoth rte? As in, give the files for the weapons to us, and have us graft it into the behemoth mod ourselves.

Of course, though, I would rather just get the whole file in a pm.

What I meant the first time is "unique enough for it to pass the stolen content filter".

It's still is unique, and something LFOW wouldn't do himself.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:44 am
Profile WWW
happy carebear mom

The moderator's word: Pm release as much as you like, but get LFoW's permission before you release it publicly.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:08 am

This thing is just SO FUN. You don't even understand.

It is perhaps the first giant actor that truly works well. Doesn't destroy too much terrain when walking, doesn't get killed by small pieces of shrapnel from a dropship, doesn't buckle over and spin around like crazy when hit.

It is truly a sight to behold. Hell, I even made it gib properly. It strides through the battle field, a power beyond all others. It absorbs rockets like they were pistol shots, it shrugs off the falling debris of a destroy dropship, able to literally pick up enemies and crush them with his bare hands... and yet, balanced. It is by no means indestructible, but there is no easy or cheap way to kill it. Massive bombardments is the only way. Well, there is another way... but I'll leave it to you skilled snipers out there to find the weak spot... if you live long enough to take a shot at all, not to mention hit such a small target. Even if you do hit the weak spot, it's very unlikely you'll kill it. You will make it more susceptible to other shots, however.

I am having a BLAST playtesting this, if I can't release to the public then it's going to be a real loss, for all of us.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:13 am
Profile WWW
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Your contents list includes six weapons, fully one third of which you openly admit are improved versions of the standard Behemoth weapons.

While I obviously can't prove this, the idea of having the Behemoth grab actors and throw them was proposed to me by LFOW; he wanted to know if it was possible and whether I could do it. I never actually delivered the script, and I can't even be sure whether you or he came up with the idea first, but that's fully half of your dubiously unique content that is no longer unique.

I don't doubt that you've put plenty of work into the mod, but unfortunately for you your work would be classified by any professional institution as derivative at best and outright plagiarism at worst. Once again I'd say that releasing it privately is fully allowable, but it goes against every policy set by the board to allow unpermitted redistribution of what is (on the surface) a simple duplicate of the effort of someone else.

ALSO: Damn, boy, learn some humility. I find it unlikely that you have singlehandedly invented the single most amazing thing in CC history-oh wait, you haven't, because what you have is not your code. You polished the hell out of someone else's content.

You are not allowed to take a movie, edit over the bad parts, rename it, then release it mainstream. You are similarly not allowed absolute dominion over the intellectual property of another, no matter how fun you think it is.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:15 am

Duh102 wrote:
The moderator's word: Pm release as much as you like, but get LFoW's permission before you release it publicly.

Well then we'll do things the hard way.

No one gets it until I can release it publicly. I'm not going to spend my time sending PMs to a select group of people who just so happen to use the Mod Making forum. I want everyone to have it, and I'm not willing to accept defeat on this. I want it to be a proper release.

I'll try to get him to let me release it, and I suggest that anyone who wants to use this does the same.

Alternatively, if I could change the sprites then nearly all the work would be mine. It would be as much a copy of Zalo's original giant actors as it would be LFOW's behemoth. I've been trying to find a spriter for months though, so finding one is unlikely.

Stay tuned for GIFs of exactly what it is you are missing out on. Apologies to anyone who was looking forward to getting this any time soon.

Grif wrote:
Your contents list includes six weapons, fully one third of which you openly admit are improved versions of the standard Behemoth weapons.

While I obviously can't prove this, the idea of having the Behemoth grab actors and throw them was proposed to me by LFOW; he wanted to know if it was possible and whether I could do it. I never actually delivered the script, and I can't even be sure whether you or he came up with the idea first, but that's fully half of your dubiously unique content that is no longer unique.

I don't doubt that you've put plenty of work into the mod, but unfortunately for you your work would be classified by any professional institution as derivative at best and outright plagiarism at worst. Once again I'd say that releasing it privately is fully allowable, but it goes against every policy set by the board to allow unpermitted redistribution of what is (on the surface) a simple duplicate of the effort of someone else.

ALSO: Damn, boy, learn some humility. I find it unlikely that you have singlehandedly invented the single most amazing thing in CC history-oh wait, you haven't, because what you have is not your code. You polished the hell out of someone else's content.

You are not allowed to take a movie, edit over the bad parts, rename it, then release it mainstream. You are similarly not allowed absolute dominion over the intellectual property of another, no matter how fun you think it is.

Well I CAN prove it. I first told him of the idea Saturday July 11, 2009 at 8:44 pm. So when did he tell you?

It IS derivative, and that's fine. Derivative works are allowed in an institution, as long as you cite the author. I would do that.

It's legitimately the best giant actor I've ever used, I've never before used one that didn't have some crippling weakness like a piece of shrapnel in the right place killing it, or causing it to spin around like crazy.

The code isn't any less mine than it is LFOW's, Zalo invented the giant actor template. He used Zalo's code, I used LFOW's code. LFOW just "polished the hell" out of Zalo's code, it's the same thing.

The only thing that is the exact same as his behemoth is how it looks, and of course some minor code involving certain offsets, related to the sprites. So even though a considerable portion of the behemoth code is the same as LFOW's, that's only because it has to be for the sprites to work.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:37 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 192 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next