View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 1:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Removed Joined/Location user details 

Post Re: Removed Joined/Location user details
Tomaster wrote:
Why are they pointless? And, no offense Andy Jesus Weasel, but what wise decisions has he made so far?

Think about it. This is the revolution that the Bolsheviks and Communist has asked for. A classless society. Finally, everyone looks the same. No more does Grif (Blessings Be Upon Him) has a higher post count than Duh102. Everyone looks the same, everyone looks as reputable as anyone else. Except Weasel. Weasel is the grand leader, the Chairman you might say.

As for wise decisions, how about that time that he begged Agaetis to come back on the forums? This place needed more opportunities to experience new points of view from people of different backgrounds. That's a great decision if I ever heard one.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:15 am
DRLGrump

Rockefeller wrote:
Tomaster wrote:
Why are they pointless? And, no offense Andy Jesus Weasel, but what wise decisions has he made so far?

Think about it. This is the revolution that the Bolsheviks and Communist has asked for. A classless society. Finally, everyone looks the same. No more does Grif (Blessings Be Upon Him) has a higher post count than Duh102. Everyone looks the same, everyone looks as reputable as anyone else. Except Weasel. Weasel is the grand leader, the Chairman you might say.

As for wise decisions, how about that time that he begged Agaetis to come back on the forums? This place needed more opportunities to experience new points of view from people of different backgrounds. That's a great decision if I ever heard one.

I don't know how long you've been here for, but from what I've seen (and I've been here a long time), nobody really gave a damn about post count or join date, unless you joined yesterday and had 2 posts. Which, ironically enough, is almost what you have. Additionally, begging doesn't really seem like a decision to me.
Another problem being where you said "everyone looks as reputable as anyone else." That's not necessarily a good thing.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:20 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Tomaster way to prove his point by looking up his post count.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:32 am

Tomaster wrote:
I don't know how long you've been here for, but from what I've seen (and I've been here a long time), nobody really gave a damn about post count or join date, unless you joined yesterday and had 2 posts. Which, ironically enough, is almost what you have. Additionally, begging doesn't really seem like a decision to me.
Another problem being where you said "everyone looks as reputable as anyone else." That's not necessarily a good thing.

Wait, you DON'T think that this is ******* awesome? To anyone that doesn't really give a **** to look at the profiles, everyone just looks the same! Anyone can say anything they want without the fear of "credibility". We don't need to have any of that in a Communist paradise.

And trust me. The full benefit of that decision is yet to be seen. If you don't like it, you didn't have a choice anyway. These forums are for the users, but they're not run by the users. Ultimately, these forums are in the hands of Jesus. Don't you like Jesus?

You know who didn't like Jesus?

Hitler.

Are you Hitler?

Also.

Do you not get sarcasm?

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:34 am
DRLGrump

Godwin's law. My, aren't you Internet savvy? I get sarcasm, I just don't like you.
Also, grif, yes, I checked his account. You know why? Cause you don't get credibility right off the bat.
Tell me if that doesn't make sense.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:39 am

Tomaster wrote:
Godwin's law. My, aren't you Internet savvy? I get sarcasm, I just don't like you.
Also, grif, yes, I checked his account. You know why? Cause you don't get credibility right off the bat.

You know who else is internet savvy? Jesus.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:42 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Tomaster wrote:

Your avatar contains a man firing a pistol by thrusting his hips.

You want to talk to me about credibility?

Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:30 am

Someone who has 2000 posts can be trusted. If those are ALL spam posts then they would have been banned.

If someone posts a wrong solution to a problem someone will correct them.

If the tip is helpful, and not spam, then its probably good to trust.

Basically:
DONT JUDGE POSTERS, JUDGE THE POST.
YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BS SOMEONE MADE UP AND WELL-INFORMED ADVICE.

AKA don't judge a book by it's author.

I don't get why everyone is so angry about location, etc being gone.
I check them once in a blue moon myself. But right now if I really wanted to know someone's "location", join date, or post count then I can just go to their profile.

Also, congrats Grif.

Last edited by CrazyMLC on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:36 am
Profile WWW
DRLGrump

Grif wrote:
Tomaster wrote:

Your avatar contains a man firing a pistol by thrusting his hips.

You want to talk to me about credibility?

So? It's called humor. Your avatar used to be a rubiks cube. Does that make you any more credible than me? If we're going down that road, Albert Einstein looked insane, doesn't mean he wasn't credible.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:37 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Actually it was a color cube with an entire section missing. Hardly a Rubik's cube.

The point is this: discrediting someone because they have few posts makes no more sense than discrediting someone for having a silly and/or stupid avatar. Prom has less than 100 posts, scancode has less than fifty; are they now no longer credible sources?

A (senile) ninety seven year old woman and a nine year old child witness the same crime
who is the more credible witness; she with more experience, or he with more wit

Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:46 am
DRLGrump

Grif wrote:
Actually it was a color cube with an entire section missing. Hardly a Rubik's cube.

The point is this: discrediting someone because they have few posts makes no more sense than discrediting someone for having a silly and/or stupid avatar. Prom has less than 100 posts, scancode has less than fifty; are they now no longer credible sources?

A (senile) ninety seven year old woman and a nine year old child witness the same crime
who is the more credible witness; she with more experience, or he with more wit

Funny thing is, in every one of those cases, we can then fall back on join date to help us decide.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:50 am

You shouldn't have to.
Either you know the person, you know what the person is saying is bs, and so on.

If a noob asks a question, then wait for a general consensus.

Using Grif's example its best to get the senile old lady's and the child's testimony. Why just choose one?

Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:56 am
Profile WWW

Arguing about this is pointless.

At this point, if anyone cares enough to judge someone's credibility by their post count and join date, they need only to click the profile link to find out.

oh no

They're really just meaningless statistics when it comes down to it.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:00 am
Profile WWW
DRLGrump

Because there's no need. Why make the noobs wait for some sort of general consensus when they can get a semi-accurate representation of how reliable someone is through those two textfields, which don't clutter or add additional space. I'm not against change, just useless and pointless change that actually makes it harder for people.
To junkie, the point is ease of access. Why make someone do that additional step?

Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:03 am

Because honestly, I think you're placing too much stock in those fields. Most users can generally get a feel for how intelligent and useful a particular individual is in a community simply by his or her actions.

Why give them the possible inaccurate representation if they don't need it? In many communities, there are long-standing members who are basically as helpful as a pile of bricks, while some new users contribute greatly. Pre-judging an individual based on numerical stats that simply outline how long they've been in the community does more harm than good, I think.

And, once again, if someone really wants to find out what someone's post count is, then they can spend an extra 2 seconds of their life clicking on a link, reading two bits of information, then pressing the back button.

I, for one, support abolishing the post count and join date, and have for a while, so naturally my views are not neutral. If they were, I would have no reason to post in this topic. Let an individual decide for him or herself what other members are worthy to be trusted and responsible, rather than having a statistic that may mislead them.

Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:11 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next