View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 TF2 Beta mod...Need Testers 
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Post Re: TF2 Beta mod...Need Testers
Have the rpg make you fly upwards when fired downwards by adding lot's of heavy airparticles with 0 sharpness.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:17 pm

Doesn't really help with gibbing. Though you could add some scripted particles that just push people away via Lua as oppposed to actually applying force to them.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:30 pm
Profile WWW

ummmm ok. This is still a work in process. Thats why i need beta testers. Or i can just post the friggan' download and let everyone judge for themselves.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:31 pm

So wait, you toss all these modified actor templates at me to stitch together, then went off tweaking them again to throw at me or some other guy later to do the same thing again? You really should wait until the whole thing is even in a decently working condition before announcing you have a mod that needs testing. So far I've had to debug every unit you've given me for roughly the same problems even after giving you a run down on the fix. Before you upload anything for this forum to download, go check your gib.ini for all of your actors and read what you have in there for a bluntly obvious reason that part doesn't run. Then go change that "louisjump" thing to what I fixed on your sniper (you have this file. It works).

Also, prepare for complaints when you upload a dozen individual .rte's unless you've gotten someone else to redo all of your file paths and what-not (and if you did, it'd be nice to know so I can stop wasting my time).

Knowing who else is "we" on this "team" would be nicer than just thinking I'm using my nearly nonexistent knowledge of programming in this game to slap band-aids all over a mod for someone who just sent me a random PM in the middle of the night while I was browsing the forums to kill time.

tl;dr version: Your TF2 mod is currently little more than a huge pile of dysfunctional actor template .ini's. Your team doesn't realize they're on a team. Not really related to it working, but the sprites are pretty atrocious as well. Does this sound like something you want to publish even as a beta?

To the rest of the forums: Hello, nice to meet you all. I'm not typically a disgruntled ass.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:53 pm

Twwig wrote:
To the rest of the forums: Hello, nice to meet you all. I'm not typically a disgruntled ass.

Hello yourself. :) No worries. It seems you have valid reasons. :0

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:55 pm

Yay! New modder! Well, maybe anyway.

For those wanting to merge .rtes, it's always a good idea to get notepad++ or a similar program that allows mass replace, and then open every text file you want the rte name changed in.
then press ctrl+H (or get the replace dialog open somehow, depends on your program but most of them should follow standards) and type the string for the rte you need changed with the .rte on the end of it so you dont get weird things happening with presetnames and put the new string (probably "TF2.rte") into the other section, then hit replace in all files, and move the contents of the .rte AS IS into the new .rte, which will preserve the file structure.

Anyway, this is an odd turn of events, so I'm going to go get up and have a shower, go to the city for a while and then come back and see if the situation has resolved itself. A TF2 mod would make a lot of people happy if you pulled it off.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:59 pm
Profile WWW

Ok sorry twigg i geuss i got ahead of myself. Sorry bout that,but so far its me you and I think The Egotist. And some random paco guy PMed me saying hed like to help with it. So is that ok? I tryed to send you a message but the computers at school take a friggan' hour to load Datarealms up so thats why you didnt get a message or anything. Sorry ill send you a message at home next time. You couldve atleast PMed me before complaining about it. I could have fixed your problem before it was a problem. But im sorry and if you would like then lock or get someone else to and lock this thread.
Oh and the lous jump thing works for me because i have the L4D mod. I didnt think about that when creating them. But it does WORK. Its just not finished. Needs more actors,guns,skills and etc. So its not dysfunctional as you say its just too small for a mod.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:12 am

I'll knit the .rtes together if you were clueless at Geti's suggestion.

But, try to do it yourself first.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:17 am

There already in one folder and in one area to buy. Its all under Team Fortress 2. Ive already got that much done. Did that with my L4D explosives mod..HE HE fun mod...

Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:25 am

I have all the separate .rte's nestled together into one with indexes and paths on each .ini going to the right place. When they were all chopped into their own .rte's (and I mean individual as in "Blu Spy.rte", "Red Scout.rte" etc) they would load without a hitch (or at least the two I patched up did, I couldn't be bothered to dry run every single one since they were all busted the same way). However, when I put them together the Gibs.ini always has an error on its first line, which is just "AddEffect = MOPixel". I'm not really shiny with this sort of thing, but still, this tiny little glitch is just confusing me beyond wit's end. I have a nagging feeling I just missed something incredibly n00bish. If anyone wants to take a swing at it, I'll box it up and PM it to you.

Didn't mean to sound pissed off or anything. Just slightly startled.

At Geti: Hah, new modder... I figured I'd wait until I had something decent to contribute of my own before adding to the threads. Considering that prior to this week I've been milling about reading everything for a year with nothing to show... Eh. Still in "first mod", mess with pre-existing objects phase.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:37 am

Sure, send it my way.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:45 am

Well, if you're a year in and getting confident with the basics it could be time to do a few prototyping mods. Get a small, easy to pull off concept, like a weapon that fires saw blades, and go off getting that to a stage where it works as you want it to. From there, polish the living daylights out of it (effects (don't go overboard on particles, but be dramatic), scripting, sprites, the works) and once you're happy with it, release. Keep working on this, obviously, but do some side projects and get some hard practice in.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:57 am
Profile WWW

Heh, I suppose so, more on that another day when I run out of polish, though.

On topic! So the obese file size was indeed a result of eating too many sound files. Since they were all the same for each actor, I tossed them all into one sounds folder (fingers crossed I didn't kill it).
...I'll see if I have time to go and revamp all the sprites for you, Pandastar. Car pooling to college gives me a load of free time on my hands. They just don't look TF2ish without the jaws that can smash walnuts the size of your fist.

Extra sound = extra massive, I'll remember that for future reference.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:18 am

Grab Audacity if you dont already have it, and pump all the sounds out again as .ogg at a lower quality. You won't need the same level of fidelity as you will have ripped them at. (if you've already done it, ignore this post)

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:30 am
Profile WWW

okay.... this makes me sad... Alpha-stage mod...

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2