View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 TF2 Beta mod...Need Testers 

Post TF2 Beta mod...Need Testers
We are making a mod. Simply put. We need a few people to test the mod and give helpful criticism for the Whole mod. Please just simply post and ill post the download for a while for you to download it(the testers only)but before PM me to tell me what time to post it for you. Thanks and have a nice day. SPYS!!!

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:22 am

Post Re: TF2 Beta mod...Need Testers
If you want only your testers to have the mod then why not just send it to them in a pm?

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:30 am

Its too big of a file it says. And its hard to make it smaller and send it when you need it all together.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:33 am
happy carebear mom

A mod should not be bigger than the upload limit unless you have a good reason. You're not uploading all of Base.rte are you?

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:34 am

No i just add my mod to the archiver(Winrar) and upload it through a pm and it says the files max size is 5 mib.
Ive done tryed with sending The Egotist what ive got so far. Were a team so we need to share the mod. But i cant.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:36 am
happy carebear mom

What in your mod makes it larger than 5MB? Like really, it should not be larger, especially compressed, than 5MB unless it has a lot of stuff, like Crobotech. Crobotech is just over at 5.58MB.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:39 am

Duh102 wrote:
What in your mod makes it larger than 5MB? Like really, it should not be larger, especially compressed, than 5MB unless it has a lot of stuff, like Crobotech. Crobotech is just over at 5.58MB.

Its TF2

first of all
9 classes, thats 9 actors, possibly 18 if they are team color specific

each class has 3 standard weapons (except spy and engenier who get weird stuff)
3 turrets, 3 dispensers, the sapper, 6 teleporter parts, the spy has disguises and cloaking

not to mention most of the weapons have an alternate weapon.

Even if he only made actors, and the first, basic gun each, I can easily see this going over 5 MB
Post a list of whats included, If I like it, I might test it.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:39 am
Profile YIM WWW
REAL AMERICAN HERO

The only thing that bloats filesize is sounds, which can be most likely be safely compressed well past what you get out of a Valve game.

Ini and sprite content are miniscule; a massive text heavy mod might end up a whopping 500kB without any sounds.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:06 am

Grif wrote:
The only thing that bloats filesize is sounds, which can be most likely be safely compressed well past what you get out of a Valve game.

Ini and sprite content are miniscule; a massive text heavy mod might end up a whopping 500kB without any sounds.

I was just thinking, 9 classes, 6 weapons, and custom sounds for all of them, in reduced audio quality, can easily be that size... the original valve sizes I can see this going upwards of 10-20 mb. especially if it has all the different death sounds, weapon switching as taunts, and all the different explosions... VICTORY! you FAILED! as well as Dominating/dominated/revenge. If it both has, and USES all of these, OMFG...

DUDE! you should totally make a 2fort map! make the intel an item like the computer chip, it's perfect.

damn it... I'm just gonna go play TF2 now... you got me to excited about it.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:36 am
Profile YIM WWW

Holy crap ramble less.

For a mod that's barely at beta I doubt it uses all the sounds. I doubt it has 9 actors 6 weapons and custom sounds for all of them. Even if it did, you could ogg them and downsample them with 2 samples per required sound to probably 3MB at most. Who needs custom pain sounds for every actor?

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:41 am
Profile WWW

If it is absolutely impossible to make it smaller, host it elsewhere and put a link inside the pm.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:13 am
Profile WWW

Geti wrote:
Holy crap ramble less.

For a mod that's barely at beta I doubt it uses all the sounds. I doubt it has 9 actors 6 weapons and custom sounds for all of them. Even if it did, you could ogg them and downsample them with 2 samples per required sound to probably 3MB at most. Who needs custom pain sounds for every actor?

Geti, I strongly suggest you actually play TF2 before you say something like that.

TF2 has 40, Count them, 40 weapons, 3 turrets, 3 dispensers, 3 PAIRS of teleporter entrance and exits, and 8 tools. (i'm counting the soldier/heavy/engi/pyro shotguns as 1 gun, and the engie/scout pistol as the same)

as well as 9 unique classes, each of which would be an actor.

If none of the 40 guns use any duplicate particles, thats 40 bullets, 5 of which would be TDE or something, and have their own unique particles... Double that for crits. 40 magazines, 40 held devices, and some of them would use Lua (medigun, natasha, the sand man, etc.)

Thats just the guns, and at a minimum.

thats not counting the sapper standard cloaking, the recharging cloak and dagger, Feign death, or the disguise kit. Oh yes, and lets not forget BONK! Cola, or the Sandvich. or the banner.

Then you have actors, Scout, Spy, Sniper, Heavy, Medic, Pyro, Soldier, Demoman, Engenier, all of which look, move, act, and sound entirely different.

Quite honestly, if there are no sounds included at all this has the potential to be that big.

The only issue is, He hasn't said at all what is, or is not included, which makes most of this a moot point until he does.

-edit. I'm not claiming that he's actually creating them all, but what if all the weapons are made in a bare-bones state and actually has ALL of them, but they ALL need testing, and balanced.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:07 am
Profile YIM WWW

It's a beta. I doubt it's extensive.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:10 am
Profile WWW

Allstone kind of summed up what I have to say nicely, but still:

Yeah, I know TF2 is a big game. That much is obvious. My point is a fully sprited and coded and custom sounded device should take as much as maybe ~50kB (like, this is 2 .ogg fairly short sounds and a lua script or two plus the .ini, with 1-2 sprites then compressed) possibly up to 100kB if you need a lot of sounds or longer sounds, but that's still only 4MB maximum all up for the devices if you're playing your cards right.
Actors are more complex and unpredictable for filesize, but tl;dr unless theres like non-rle'd scenes or something in there or you're using .wav sound for some silly reason, you should be able to use the forum's attachments happily.

oh yeah and text compresses to laughably small sizes. so no, even with sounds it shouldn't be that big.

Shotgun folder of zombies'10: 2 sounds, 1 ini, 1 lua, 1 sprite (non-rle), 47.6kB uncompressed. compresses to 41kB all up. the sounds are 40.3kB by themselves. As they're ogg compressed we can assume there won't be much compression going on on their part, so a sprite, and all the code for the weapon fits in under a kB.
again, tl;dr: devices are small.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:45 pm
Profile WWW

Wow thanks for the interest. But right now i only have the:
BLU:
-Blu sniper
-Blu soldier
-Blu spy
-Blu scout
-Blu case(brain)
-Soldier's RPG

RED:
-Red sniper
-Red scout
-Red spy
-Red case(brain)

All these are nowheres near done. They still lack the jumping ability,
lose health(-10) each jump off of something. they are way smaller than normal(so i can make the heavy a normal sized character so they have size difference)

Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next