View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Local Deathmatch Gamemode 

Post Local Deathmatch Gamemode
Alright, now if you are thinking that Cortex Command is just one clusterf*** of skull smashing deathmatch, I'm sure you're right.

HOWEVER.

This idea I had adds limitation. (It's not always a bad thing.)

Imagine a campaign map that determines how many active players there will be, (Similar to Brain Wrestling) and if there are only two, or three active players, the last, unused player is removed from the game. Once that is all said and done, the remaining players choose a basic light bodied actor, presumably a robot, or something of equal proportion from another downloaded mod. Once that is said and done, the game starts, one player kills another with a weapon they found laying around somewhere. (There could be weapon spawns around the map that spawn different weapons based on what they are, (i.e. Machine Guns, Pistols, High Explosive Cannons, etc.))

There could be an .ini file that decides how long each round lasts, max kills, weapon restrictions, etc.

I suppose there could also be an alternate map for gungame type gameplay (Gungame: Counterstrike: Source mod where once you kill a player, often after a certain amount of kills, you receive a new or better weapon, until you get the last weapon and win the game.) Below is a better description of it.

"Gun Guname is a leveling mod for Counter Strike:Source. Everyone starts with a glock. You must get a kill with it to level up to level 2. You get better weapons the higher level you are, until the end. The last two levels are the hardest: hegrenade, then knife. It adds a new twist to how you play CS, and also helps clans to train with weapons they don't normally use." -http://www.cagemonkey.org/

The .ini file idea could also support a list of weapons for every level, how many levels there are and so on.

So yeah, it's just my idea, you don't have to listen to anything I say, tl;dr all you want. Just wondering what you all thought.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:41 pm

Post Re: Local Deathmatch Gamemode
Why would this need to be an engine thing? You can already make this with Lua.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:55 pm
Profile WWW

We've had these limited gamemodes in the past, pretty sure lua was involved. Look up clone soccer it might be an excellent start to what you're looking for. As you scored you had better weapons and could only work with the clones that were spawned. (Sorry but I can't copy/paste links for you on the psp)

Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:15 pm

411570N3:
I'm not very fluent with LUA, I wasn't sure which would be easier.
ALSO, I've always used .ini to organize different game functions in few of my previous projects, it was simple enough.

FuzzyMelon:
Alright, but it's not exactly the same.

On a side note: It's just an idea, I don't have the answers to all of your questions.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:48 pm

Essentially, it's extra unnecessary work for Data, seeing as it's possible to do via Lua already. On Lua, you might want to spell it with only the first letter capitalised, as with a proper noun; some people get a tad ruffled over it and you can avoid confrontations in future by spelling it this way.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:41 am
Profile WWW

Well, I used to do a lot of modding with Garry's Mod and the source engine. We always used it as LUA, since I'm sure it must be an abbreviation. I also didn't realize that all of the requests in this forum were just for data *sarcasm*.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:55 pm

lua.org wrote:
"Lua" (pronounced LOO-ah) means "Moon" in Portuguese. As such, it is neither an acronym nor an abbreviation, but a noun. More specifically, "Lua" is a name, the name of the Earth's moon and the name of the language. Like most names, it should be written in lower case with an initial capital, that is, "Lua". Please do not write it as "LUA", which is both ugly and confusing, because then it becomes an acronym with different meanings for different people. So, please, write "Lua" right!

Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:04 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks Pete. Lua. 8)

EDIT: Wait, I never even mentioned Lua in my topic. How off topic.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:21 am
happy carebear mom

Somehow it was interpreted you wanted an engine change to support such a gametype, not sure how, but all of what you described is perfectly doable in Lua, which is where Lua came in.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]