View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 How to Dual Barrels? 

Post How to Dual Barrels?
There's a gun I'd like to make but I need it to alternate between two barrels
First shot from the top, then from the bottom, then back to the top, alternating
Like this:

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:09 am

Post Re: How to Dual Barrels?
Tracer rounds can be the bottom.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:13 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

what no they can't you're dumb dragonxp

gonna have to do some shenanigans with emitters, OP.

It's really probably not worth the hassle.

The older, slightly less function but looks just as good method is to just have a muzzleflash with split frames and then have the actual shots come out of a point between the two barrels. Most people don't know the difference.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:24 am

Generally you fire a TDExplosive that gibs immediately and releases the round at the appropriate offset. You have that round fire for either the tracer or main round so that one of those fires from the barrel that is not where your MuzzleOffset is. Alternatively you put the MuzzleOffset in the middle and have both tracer and round fire a TDExplosive that offsets the bullets to the respective barrel. Also, you'd have to set RTTRatio to 1.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:39 am
Profile WWW

Emitters work better because the things shot should inherit your actor as a parent (it doesn't always seem to happen though), does anyone have the example I did of this? Someone one-up'd it with that beam (I think it was solace..) but for dual barrel action it was consistent.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:41 am
Profile WWW

Hm? Emitters allow parent inheritance? I always used TDExplosives because they inherited velocity and didn't hit you when you were travelling at high speed as well as firing.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:47 am
Profile WWW

Grif wrote:
what no they can't you're dumb dragonxp

gonna have to do some shenanigans with emitters, OP.

It's really probably not worth the hassle.

The older, slightly less function but looks just as good method is to just have a muzzleflash with split frames and then have the actual shots come out of a point between the two barrels. Most people don't know the difference.

Well somebody told me they could >.>

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:52 am
happy carebear mom

You use the tracer round to hold your second barrel AEmitter. It actually need not be exactly 2 barrels, but any amount of barrels that fire in two stages. 2x2 for example.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:55 am

I have a.... 6 pixel-thick laser using the emitter trick. Doesn't work when the gun is in the terrain when it shoots though. Then it rapes you.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:31 am

dragonxp wrote:
Well somebody told me they could >.>
Don't believe everything you hear, try it out first and see if it works, or learn to use disclaimers eg "I heard somewhere that you can do this" because it makes you look less stupid than "this works hands down" when you turn out to be wrong.
rantrant.
Duh, you actually have to use 2 AEmitters from what I gathered, because you're riding on the OrientsToVel variable, which results in your offset getting flipped (usually vertically, as you'll only want to use Y axis stuff) when your guy is flipped. This means you have to put the MuzzleOffset between the barrels and have both of the AEmitters with either positive or negative Y EmissionOffsets. I know tucker had it tucked (lol) away at some point, unsure as to weather He'd keep it or not. I should really store these things, if I end up making another.

As a note, you could get around the flip with scripting, but that would require more explanation and I really can't be assed. Would be necessary if you wanted each barrel to shoot different stuff though.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:42 am
Profile WWW

Geti wrote:
you actually have to use 2 AEmitters from what I gathered, because you're riding on the OrientsToVel
You lost me
Grif wrote:
How would I go about making such a muzzle flash
The weapon is going to be very rapid fire so I don't know if that would really work, it would be pretty easy to tell it's coming from a midpoint

Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:23 am

PlusEighteen wrote:
How would I go about making such a muzzle flash
The weapon is going to be very rapid fire so I don't know if that would really work, it would be pretty easy to tell it's coming from a midpoint

It rapidfires? The better the dual muzzle flash works. Basically, what Grif was saying about the muzzleflash was, you make a muzzleflash with multiple frames, right? Make one frame's flash from the top barrel, and another from the bottom barrel. Variate a bit.

I'm also watching this thread, I am developing a twin-barrel cannon too.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:26 pm
Profile YIM WWW
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Here's what Geti's saying with the emitter method.

Your gun fires two different emitters, as the Regular Round and the Tracer Round, respectively.

Each one of those emitters has an EmissionOffset (which, as you might gather, offsets the point of emission) of either, let's say, Y = 2, or Y = -2.

The actual HDFirearm is still firing both of them out of the central point; but with OrientsToVel (which will keep the emitters lined up with the direction of the shot) the two emissions will come out of the correct points on the gun. Then you make a split muzzleflash as well, and then you're done.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:58 pm

Thanks for deciphering my gibberish Paul, I should probably stop explaining things late at night to people who are new to all of this..

Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]