View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 6:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Bunker System Ideas 

Post Re: Bunker System Ideas
Elevators would be cool, I like the idea of traps but the AI isn't strong enough for them yet, they could make the game boring fast.

(Here's where I shamelessly self promote) how about sandbags?
All kidding aside once the actors can see them properly, and treat them like they do a door (see it as a obstacle and shoot it), they would be a nice addition I think.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:10 pm

hover lifts, gravity springs, panic rooms, opening/closing window hatches for sniping, alarms and that sensors that sound, when a unit comes close, and a solar power station that your sensors, doors, and alarms require to work. a door based sniper tower that can be destroyed and a destructible bridge. these work by having a large pinned mosr based attachable surrounded by a thin level of terrain, and when you break the mosr, it gibs into an aemmiter version of itself so heavy it falls strait through the ground, which then spawns yet another mosr version of itself with a more believable weight, which falls to the floor.

Detonator charges not unlike the c4 we already have, but stronger that can be fired by a specialized button shaped actor who has a lua script that checks if a unit is near-by and then if the unit hits fire and a nice smexy popup menu shows and asks if would you like to detonate the charges. you click yes and your exploding bridge goes to hell, taking every enemy on it with it. anti mosr/mopixel force fields that you can stick your gun through to shoot at some dummy fodder with no risk of injury.

ill make some of these as examples.
just a few of my ideas.

OH, and personal fabricator machines that make simple weapons on the cheap.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:02 pm

Traps don't have to be simple or old fashioned. And anyway, considering there are still M16s and AK47s ingame, I don't think it's really a step back technology wise to add some traps. You could have high tech stuff like hidden ceiling tasers or pop out gun turrets.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:14 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

None said it's old fashioned, just that it won't be that fun.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:33 pm

Grif wrote:
I just don't really see the style of CC fitting with 'trap filled underground maze'

it's supposed to be scifi, and suddenly we've got indiana jones hidden arrow traps in the walls? just seems unnecessary and out of place

This. The game's premise focuses on planetary supremacy battles, and in CC that is split into small skirmishes over specific sites. I don't think traps are as feasible as land mines, barbed wire, sentries or stationary turrets, watchtowers, etc for when it comes to defense of a site.

The closest thing to a trap I could see in CC would be in a heavily fortified and secured installation. Possibly an alarm system when enemies get too near the brain chamber that when tripped triggers sentry robots or calls in reinforcements. Definitely nothing like spikes coming from the ceiling or rolling boulders. Those don't belong in vanilla content at all.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:42 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

I was at one point considering some kind of security system setup, but I never quite decided how to implement it. I was thinking different levels of security - the cheapest is a camera that warns you of intruders. Next level would be that with a pop-down turret. Then, a camera with blast doors that shut when actors enter. Maybe a gas chamber inside of that? I don't think traps would go much further than that - keep in mind that this is the future, and as Grif put it, CC isn't exactly Indiana Jones.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:15 am
Profile WWW

I think traps could be fun and have a place in vanilla content. I agree that a base full of traps shouldn't be the norm, but I think the occasional trap-ridden bunker or scarce traps in common bunkers could be very fun and fitting enough. Particularly, I'm thinking this kind of bunker defense would be fitting in Ronin Bunkers, since they would be most inclined to do that kind of makeshift stuff.

To expand on the trap door idea, a short pit with extreme extra downward force along with gravity would be a pretty cool sci-fi themed trap. The enemy wouldn't be at all intimidated by the distance of the fall, but after falling down only 5 meters they would splatter.

Faster conveyors would be great, and not just a fast velocity, but a more smooth, acceleration-based rapid rail transit system.

Being able to make a customizable-length section of conveyors/similar rail transit would be handy, since having lots of bunker systems with Lua can lag stuff up and be inconvenient to build. So one complex script could fill in for what would otherwise be 20 scripts, cutting out 19 cycles through all actors and devices per sim update.

I've been messing with those ideas recently, so I've got a well developed example here.
Attachment:
Accelotron.rte.rar [124.14 KiB]
Downloaded 201 times
Gif soon for the download-stingy.
The symbols are arrowheads and arrow... fletchings they're called? back ends.
Place them to the side of each other to make the ends of a proper arrow, and that section becomes an accelotron rail! (yes, it handles x-wrap seams just fine)
Needs more visual indication of the rail, y position link restrictions, and some kind of safer brakes than equal opposition, I know, but it's just an example, proof of concept, beta, etc, at this point.

Feel free to rip-off/copy for official content, but I'd really prefer if no one else does this/takes control of this in their own unofficial mod.

Last edited by Azukki on Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:52 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

But Ronin traps would more likely be things like IEDs and mines, and (from a practical standpoint) would only be present in empty bases.

ALTHOUGH- that could be a interesting campaign tie in. 'Deserted' bases are actually full of quite deadly traps that are cleverly concealed.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:02 am

Personally I feel that your own makeshift makeshift traps are more fun than prefabricated makeshift traps.

For example, you can put a bunch of C4 or floating charges in the top half of a door alongside one Blue Bomb (Or pineapple or whatever). When the door is opened, the door will float up, crush the grenade, and blow up the charges.
Another thing you can do is spam a bunch of C4s and cover it up with a bunker module or cement block. It's a completely hidden, easy to trigger trap.
There's lots of sneaky things you can do with teleporters and those little actor-mover spaces.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:06 am

Contrary wrote:
There's lots of sneaky things you can do with teleporters and those little actor-mover spaces.

Oh now you're making me post the Fishbowl again:

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

@contrary yeah but that's limited to explosives and very specific circumstances. Purpose-made stuff is also nice.

@grif
Well, if they knew how to make sensors that only activate traps on enemies, or knew how to avoid their own traps, they might want to have traps in bases they're actively using.

In general, traps in CC are the kind of thing that's good enough to make and have in the game, but it's not something that should be a core game play mechanic. But then once it's there, it should be put to use at least a couple times. That's how I see it, anyway.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:16 am

Upside down sliding door on enemy side on the ceiling, place lots of explosives behind it.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:23 am

Another thing that could be considered, I remember someone once described a destructible system of power lines and power sources to power dependent bunker systems.

Throughout the bunker, there would be sources of electricity eg generators and throughout the bunker, there would be lines that go along the inside of the bunker walls and bgs, and this would all make a power grid, which would provide for the various bunker systems, such as doors, conveyors, and teleporters. Throughout the grid, vulnerable points could be destroyed, affecting what gets power.

So, for example, there could be a big generator in the heart of the bunker, and lines that branch out to the doors. You might kill all the lines to the front door when it's open, so it stays open, you invade, and kill the genny to disable all other bunker systems in the bunker.

Or a bunker could be designed with a decentralized system of lesser gennys so there isn't so much of a "turn bunker off switch".

I know this would be too much on the micromanagement side to force the player to always make power grids in his bunkers, but it could be a great game mechanic for invasion scenarios where a player is on the offensive side.

Last edited by Azukki on Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:50 am

The white lines in the bunker modules could be piped carrying electrical circuits?

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:52 am

PERSONALLY i think that traps don't fit with the current modules, because this is supposed to look like a normal bunker.

now if you used the Dirt Modules that *somebody* made (♥♥♥♥ man, i'm so bad at remembering names...), those would fit

motion activated turrets and blast doors actually do fit. Darkstorm's stupid little turret was perfect.

I think that get-innable turrets/normal turrets should be next. Darkstorm (again) made the game fun with them (so long as you don't put down railguns...oh em gee...)

i got some module called mines and they were basically landmines, they seemed to work (though OP'd) and they kinda fit with vanilla... kinda...

i think that the different factions should get different bunker modules. the current ones work well with dummies, sorta okay with coalition, but i think that the ronins should be given tunnels from "Dirt Modules"

also, browncoats deserve a freeze chamber that kills actors then makes them terrain, because they look like cleansuit scientists. :)

wtf why are my posts always so long...

EDIT: yes, power grids should be implemented as opposed to lining your bunker with six millimeters of white steel...then going in some stealthy way would be profitable because the victim would be like
"why no alarms?"
then
"why no turrets shoot?"
then
"why doors open?"
then
"wtf why did my brain fall and hit the floor..."

Last edited by alphagamer774 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:52 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next