View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 7:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Help With Scripting 

Post Help With Scripting
Hey Guys!
I am a professional programmer and just came across this game a few days ago.
It's embarrassing how much I play it now. My iPhone clients are complaining!
Anyway, there obviously isn't much doc for modding so I've just been hacking around. However, so many people on these forums
seem to know so much about modding. Are there any good sites beside the wiki that provide more documentation?
Are you guys just look at the files that come pre-packaged with the game? Could you guys post a few templates for weapons I could
study? How are you fellows figuring all this out about the game?
Thanks, and rock on!
Sam

Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:33 am

Post Re: Help With Scripting
Alright, Sam, I may not be some big city sparkle mage, but I know a bit. First off, take a look at This topic. It provides many templates and guides. Also, the language they use in the scripting is, at least for the ini files, very easy to understand. I would suggest you read that, and then take a look at some ronin.rte files, I find them the easiest to fiddle with.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:27 am

Sweet. Thanks man. However, I've already looked at those pages. I haven't seen any good tutorial on attaching a Lua script to objects and the relation between the ini files and the Lua scripts. I mainly want to do Lua scripting since I like the power it provides (and since I already know it :) )
Anyway, if anyone could suggest some good tutorials or templates for Lua scripted weapons, that would be great.
Sam

Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:47 am
Banned

You will have better luck looking at actual Lua documentation, seeing as function hooks into the game are similar to just about anything else (barring method titles).

Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:36 am
Profile YIM

Dude, are you talking about the Lua docs on this site?
If so, they're not very comprehensive. I already read the Lua docs on the lua site.
I don't quite get what you mean...

Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:38 am

I just dug into some mods that already had lua scripting, and by the glory of logical mapping learned how to implement what I wanted.
I recommend looking at the Darkstorm, the HL2 Gravity Guns, the Experimental Dummy Vehicles, and the Particle Accelerator.

Also, there is, of course, an entire section of the modding forum for lua, and most treads either ask a question (worth learning the answer) or discuss implementing something.

Don't let CC devour you, but the community could use another user fluent in game scripting in lua.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:39 am
Banned

flashpro wrote:
Dude, are you talking about the Lua docs on this site?
If so, they're not very comprehensive. I already read the Lua docs on the lua site.
I don't quite get what you mean...
Then you aren't a professional programmer.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:59 am
Profile YIM
REAL AMERICAN HERO

All content within the game is created using the variable-based .ini modding format. It's quite simplistic and extremely easy to master, but contains no logic of any kind, and is in fact extremely limited.

Lua can be attached to any object within the game, using three basic run functions: Create, Update, and Destroy, which are fairly self explanatory.

The basic structure of CC's Lua is exactly the same as any other implementation of Lua (and perfectly standard Lua, for that matter). The only differences are functions and variables. A better understanding of variables can be gained by spending more time with .ini modding, and learning what functions do and how to use them is the majority of what lua modding adds up to.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]