View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 11:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Permanent (Or at least not instantly gibbed) Emitters? 

Post Permanent (Or at least not instantly gibbed) Emitters?
Hi all,

I'm still working on my completely un-sprited range of weapons and actors. I'm on a Mac so that pretty much destroys any spriting I would be able to do otherwise.

Okay back on topic: I'm looking to create a weapon that fires a small device that lands on the ground, and begins to emit particles steadily upwards, creating a 'wall of death' that will destroy any actors or craft that attempt to pass through it. I've already experimented enough with negative GlobalAccScalar and low velocity particles to create the wall, I'm just stuck on the actual emitter of the particles. I thought it would be simple to create an AEmitter to do something similar, yet they always just gib when they hit the ground or anything else. I've messed with all the variables I can think of, so I'd love some input on this.

Maybe it's not possible, maybe I'll get nothing but replies from THOR (one can hope, that would make me tingly in the pants) but I think it would be a pretty nifty tool to create temporary walls and barriers.

Thanks in advance.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:03 am

Post Re: Permanent (Or at least not instantly gibbed) Emitters?
Ameefmu wrote:
I'm on a Mac so that pretty much destroys any spriting I would be able to do otherwise.
Wut? That's quite nearly non-sequiter. You've got a lot of options.

Anyway, on-topic; does this need to be an emitter? I've never had issues with emitters obliterating themselves, but I suppose you could do some simply lua to see when it's near the ground, then pin itself if absolutely necessary. But are you totally sure this is not some crazy impulse limit you have not missed?

Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:15 am

I've had the impulse limits from 1 to 50, I just seem to have set it to automatically gib itself whenever it strikes something. I even turned off the MO collision variables. I have absolutely no idea about Lua, the only Lua I've ever done has been picked apart from other peoples scripting and stuck together terribly to suit my needs.

Also, I'm interested in Mac spriting, but Photoshop doesn't work properly, nor does GIMP, Pixen or the MSPaint I tried to run through WINE -_-

Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:32 am

Ameefmu wrote:
Photoshop doesn't work properly, nor does GIMP, Pixen or the MSPaint I tried to run through WINE -_-
Sounds like your fault, not the programs, though darWINE is a pain.
Seriously though, photoshop and gimp both don't work properly? how?

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:42 am
Profile WWW

I need to import or use the particular 256 color palette from CC in order for the sprites to work properly ingame? I couldn't find a way to do this so I haven't been able to make any of my own sprites that actually work.
Like everything that gives me trouble, there's probably a very simple solution that I just can't find.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:04 am
happy carebear mom

Ameefmu wrote:
I've had the impulse limits from 1 to 50

Try not setting it. Like, when you find the line in your code, just remove it.
Also, to be educational, ImpulseLimit can go a lot higher. Impulse is defined as mass * speed (iirc my high school physics correctly), so the mass of your object multiplied by the speed it's going would be your impulse when hit by a solid unmoving object (IE, the ground). Removing the variable definition effectively removes the limit, thus making your AEmitter immune to gib by impulse (though it is not invincible, it could still be crushed).

Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:29 pm

Ameefmu wrote:
Do I need to import or use the particular 256 color palette from CC in order for the sprites to work properly ingame? I couldn't find a way to do this so I haven't been able to make any of my own sprites that actually work.
Like everything that gives me trouble, there's probably a very simple solution that I just can't find.

I have the same problem on my GIMP for windows.

I tried using paint and opening the palette, drawing directly on it made the sprite work, however when I used a non palette colour and erased it on another sprite made using the same technique it got messed up ingame.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:08 pm

Hey, try using WineBottler, darwine's getting long in the tooth. It's kept up to date on WINE, and allows for greater configuration and even compilation of stand-alone packages for windows programs.
(I'm still pissed codeweavers took over WINE and tried to make the mac version vanish)

I'm using an acient copy of PS4, running in rosetta, and barely rendering correctly, and yet I've just set 256 colors mode, and ignored the palette. Worked fine in CC. Same in gimp. Seashore's never been my fiend for this sort of thing, and Pixen... would be nice if the features actually worked.

Sounds like the real question of the thread was answered, and it's facepalmingly simple, how'd I not remember that?
I asked the same question once already.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:09 pm

Duh you are talking about momentum, impulse is (force * time). From what I understand the impulse limit is pretty much how much force it can take in for a duration without breaking like a rocket hitting something really fast will break it instantly, pushing it pretty fast over about a second will eventually break it too.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:11 pm
happy carebear mom

Manticore wrote:
Duh you are talking about momentum, impulse is (force * time).

Ah, my apologies. I never did do very well in physics.
But anyway, yeah, the solution to make it unbreakable is to remove the limit entirely.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:56 pm

and uh, reduce the mass and velocity.
on top of that, in photoshop to set the palette first you need to rip one from a legit CC sprite, and save it as a .act or .pal (preferably the first for ease).
then, when you've got your sprite all nice and done, change it to RGB colour if it isnt in it already, then back to indexed and manually pick your palette from the "LOAD" menu of the custom palette window. you can also set nice options like if you want it to auto-dither your painted masterpiece.
doing it in GIMP is trickier, but freer as well. someone else can explain that.

also spoilers prom paints his sprites he doesnt pixel them.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:41 pm
Profile WWW

Well thanks all! I've got the emitter working perfectly now, and I shouldn't be applying this to actors, but I am. Hehe, invulnerable actors, but just as a joke.
And I've just made my first working tiny sprite, so thanks for that also. All my problems are solved and I might be able to release a mediocre mod pack relatively soon. Thanks again so much!

The only thing that's missing is a reply from THOR.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]