View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 8:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Mod tutorial needed 

Post Re: Mod tutorial needed
Wow, I'll contribute whatever, but from me it'll likely end up being more modding philosophy, not how-tos.
I can draft some stuff if you want, but as I'm really on cramped time at the moment it'll probably come intermittently if at all, and be kinda myeh in quality.
I think it would be better as a wiki, so we can all edit the balls out of it until we have something grand. the only reason the wiki sucks is that all the people who know how to do stuff are to unmotivated to create 3rd party documentation so we have haphazardly spammed stuff. It wouldn't matter so much if we had ~2k active members, as even 100 or so active wikiers can produce good quality documents.

As a sidenote, anyone still got that old HDFirearm tutorial I made? It was lost in that raid a while back, and I'd be pleased to have a copy.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:03 am
Profile WWW
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Hyperkultra wrote:
I don't see why THORGrif hates you.
I can't wait for all this, it sounds like it will open modding up tremendously to new modders. And probably give new stuff for the ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ as well. DANGIT YOU GOT ME ALL EXCITED NOW I'M SUPPOSED TO BE WRITING ABOUT LASERS AND I CAN'T!

Modding was never something you were prevented from doing. Laziness of an end user is not going to be corrected by a massive tutorial, no matter who writes it.

also I will believe this 'massive overhaul in content' when I see it but this is getting dangerously close to negativity so I'm just gonna bow out of this topic for now.

Oh, and I'd be happy to work on specific aspects of some kind of tutorial (I know more than most about CC), but don't ask me to do it on time.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:08 am

Duh102 wrote:
If you fear continuing, then by all means chuck it at us. I have plenty of time on my hands if I had a concrete project to work on (that didn't involve giant actors).

Thanks for the offer, but if i'd let someone else work on the stuff I made so far, it'd be the part where the raw text and pictures are converted to a handy accesible format like html or rtf.

But as for to continue the text of the tutorial, I just can't do that.
I've been writing the stuff and planning how to tie it all together in my personal way and the whole idea is all in my head. And if I let someone continue the actual text, he will have to continue it, but he wont be able to do it the way I intended it from the start. Instead, he'll be doing it by his own personal way and might find things that he does not like and try doing them differently and here is a high risk of screwing the whole thing up. I hope you understand what I mean, its a bit difficult to explain.

I've been thinking about it a bit yesterday and today and I've decided to continue the project as much as I can. Hopefully to finish it to cover everything that is in B23 so far. I might ask for help or advice on this topic, so keep an eye out.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:27 pm

A very good thread indeed. While I'm just entering the forums and mod scene, I have a big passion for seeing .ini functions and how far they go. Also, this one has already allotted empty notebooks to make a primer for the language for himself. So if there is a need for someone just to collect functions and order the info like a dictionary, I can vouch for the position.

Something that may help deal with the task is having separate, detailed text:
A guide, a dictionary, and an engine reference ( in-game measurements and physics comparisons for accuracy ).

Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2