View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 6:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Mod tutorial needed 

Post Mod tutorial needed
Instead of a contest, I'd suggest making tutorials or some sort of ultimate guide to modding CC. The problem is that the people lack the skill and knowledge to create anything beyond the most simple lame remakes and resprites.

And forget about Lua for now, I'm talking about the basic .ini code that can achieve plenty by its own. And no, the wiki sucks, face it. I'd imagine some sort of html file or a document with pictures going through all the parts of basics of INI and all its parts in what all they do.

As for contests, make em short if anything. As you've seen, long modding times dont make a difference between the quality of work. Its either the ones that are up to it, will accept the tight challenge and do it, while others that wont, will pass up the contest merrily.

Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:09 am
happy carebear mom

Post Re: Interest in Mod Contest 6?
numgun wrote:
basic .ini code

*barf*
Attachment:
Tutorials.rar [16.63 KiB]
Downloaded 225 times

*wipe mouth*
Sorry about that, had that in me for a while.

EDIT: Should mention, that's in BBcode. If anybody wants to make it into HTML, go ahead.

Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:12 am
Loose Canon

*cough*

Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:17 am
Profile WWW
happy carebear mom

Sadly that entirely ignores the tabs and right now I'm too lazy right now to shove it all into code tags.
Also, speaking of the wiki, it got attacked by spambots.

EDIT: I got off my fat ass and did it (I'm such a hypocrite), but they're not pretty. Somebody put some css on this (borders around code blocks and not-plain colors especially), I'm tired now.
Attachment:
Tutorials_html.rar [16.96 KiB]
Downloaded 215 times

Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:22 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Yeah so I hate to be a negative nancy but

asking for a mod tutorial inside a mod contest thread is really about the least helpful thing you can do

proposing it as a community project doesn't even belong in this thread

I don't even mean to discredit the idea itself, it's just that this isn't where it belongs

also, if there's actually a good theme for this one I might enter, but no promises.

Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:18 am

@ Duh: That was a bit insulting to reply like that and uncalled for. I took a look at the tutorials, and I could not help notice that they went over a tiny portion about a simple SMG clone. And the first file with the variables index is not in alphabetic order that would help a user reference it effectively when he would need to. Sure there is Ctrl + F, but its half arsed, just like most of the mods in the mod contest.

Now think about it. Look at all those contests you guys have had and the mods that have been submitted. Over and over again many people are disappointed at the end results of the contest entries, even when people tried to do their best with little knowledge they had or any tutorial offered them.

The problem is they dont know how to. New people keep coming in constantly and us ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ rarely have the time to do much and in the end the participants end up being incompetent as their entries. My point is fully valid and it does belong here. I hope its at least considered by someone who has tons of free time and good knowledge about CC .ini modding.

Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:53 pm
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Hey numgun if you love the idea so much how about you write it

oh wait right you're too 'busy'

sorry bro but the rest of us might just possibly be as busy as you are! more, even!

if a member doesn't know how to mod and attempts to submit something to a mod contest, that does not mean that the contest system is inherently broken. as a matter of fact, it's a good thing; if more users are encouraged to make mods, then they will obviously learn modding as they do so

'Us ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥' don't rarely have the time to do stuff; we just rarely do stuff. Again: it's not a failure in the mod contest, it's a part of the general failure of these forums to do anything more than provide a vessel for cortex command related bitching.

Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:12 pm
happy carebear mom

numgun wrote:
@ Duh: That was a bit insulting to reply like that and uncalled for. I took a look at the tutorials, and I could not help notice that they went over a tiny portion about a simple SMG clone.
I don't see how making a minor inane (and possibly slightly comical to someone reading) comment about how I produced the tutorials is insulting. To you that is.
Also, if you looked more closely, you would notice that indeed the tutorials only guide you through an SMG edit. However, they also go over (in decent detail) what MOPixels, MOSParticles, MOSRotatings, AEmitters, and Attachables are, and what all the variables in their definitions do. I dunno about you, but to me that seems like a solid foundation in modding.
I can expand further into HeldDevices, TDExplosives, ACraft and simple AHumans, but that's about the limit of my knowledge.
numgun wrote:
And the first file with the variables index is not in alphabetic order that would help a user reference it effectively when he would need to. Sure there is Ctrl + F, but its half arsed, just like most of the mods in the mod contest.
See: I'm lazy. That was the order I was given them by a user, so that's the order I answered them in and other users helped fill in. Feel free to alphabetize it. I honestly wouldn't bother myself, making it readable (IE, css decorations) would be my next move.

Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:08 pm

Oh you guys are so trolling right now.

Heck, I suppose I could try making this guide then.
I have more knowledge than most of you about ini modding and I could find some time to do it. There are some problems however to it.
CC will be going through a massive overhaul in gameplay and content very soon, and theres a high chance of many new classes and variables being introduced. Thats all I'll say about that for now however.

In any case it would be worth it. When I began modding there was basically nothing but trial and error to play with and took me tons of time to figure out new things along the way while noticing afterwards the million mistakes in my old mods that could have been avoided all together if there were a guide to help me and reference to.

@Duh: Your reply was insulting, not the tutorial.
I disagree with you on that tutorial being a solid foundation in modding.
Its one sided in its purpose since the HDFireArm class has 1001 different uses besides being a SMG, then plenty of information is looked over and plenty of variables are missing aswell.

Also cut it out being rude, sorry if I was a ♥♥♥♥♥♥ before without realizing it, but ffs move on forward. That goes for both of you Duh and Grif.

Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:43 pm
happy carebear mom

numgun wrote:
I disagree with you on that tutorial being a solid foundation in modding.
Its one sided in its purpose since the HDFireArm class has 1001 different uses besides being a SMG, then plenty of information is looked over and plenty of variables are missing aswell.
The missing variables. Gib them to me. Then I can define them. Heck, throw variable definitions at me in general, I'll throw them in. Write additions, references, w/e.

You can't be serious that the tutorials need a total overhaul though (barring the changes that you say are impending). If anything, (and I am serious when I say I think they constitute a solid foundation) we just need to build, clarify, and add onto these, not nukenpave.
Also, we can't make a be-all, end-all tutorial going over what HDFirearms are capable of. That's what the completed mods subforum is for. We would be writing until the crack of doom if we did that.

Also, to finally end this silly insult/no-insult thing. Christ and Hunter I wasn't insulting you! Deity forever... Here. When somebody barfs up something, does that not imply that the something is stinky, smelly, and not at all appetizing? IE, I understand that my tutorial is a bit on the ugly side?

EDIT: going to clean up after myself, new topic ahoy

Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:59 pm
Loose Canon

numgun wrote:
CC will be going through a massive overhaul in gameplay and content very soon, and theres a high chance of many new classes and variables being introduced. Thats all I'll say about that for now however.

Ohshi-
Weeelll. Maybe I will wait a bit longer for trying to mod.

Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:02 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Mod tutorial needed
Quote:
You can't be serious that the tutorials need a total overhaul though (barring the changes that you say are impending). If anything, (and I am serious when I say I think they constitute a solid foundation) we just need to build, clarify, and add onto these, not nukenpave.
Also, we can't make a be-all, end-all tutorial going over what HDFirearms are capable of. That's what the completed mods subforum is for. We would be writing until the crack of doom if we did that.

Actually I am serious about this. To be honest, I have been working myself on an ultimate guide for modding in cortex command about month ago until the thought of the entire overhaul of CC and the possible additions striked me.
I've been in contact with Data and sent him a plan and so far he said that is exactly what he needed. He's been uber busy lately so it will take some time before he gets back to me.

The reason I stopped back then is when I thought of the risk that all the stuff I'd write might end up obsolete after the overhaul and I'd have to overhaul the massive guide which would be lots of work. This guide is very universal and it is infact aiming to show the user all the possibilities he can do. It would cover everything about ini modding going from each individual class and explaining what each variable does and how to combine them, followed by tricks and tips and guidelines about resources like sprites and sounds as well as making scenes. Everything else is left to the users imagination what he decided to do with the classes and variables. So far I've done oil freighters worth of text and it will work very well if finished.

I've been considering about what to do with it for a long time, either to wait for the official overhaul or perhaps do a guide of what he have now and rework it later on...

Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:28 pm
Loose Canon

I don't see why THORGrif hates you.
I can't wait for all this, it sounds like it will open modding up tremendously to new modders. And probably give new stuff for the ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ as well. DANGIT YOU GOT ME ALL EXCITED NOW I'M SUPPOSED TO BE WRITING ABOUT LASERS AND I CAN'T!

Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:43 pm
Profile WWW
happy carebear mom

If you fear continuing, then by all means chuck it at us. I have plenty of time on my hands if I had a concrete project to work on (that didn't involve giant actors).

Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:44 pm

Eh, if we're gonna do this, at least let's do it properly. Good formatting, illustrated examples and so on. If .ini coding changes in the next build, we can just add new sections or correct the ones that are already there. I can offer my knowledge of obscure variables, if it would be of any help.

Aside from that, CC is gonna be updated, Nummy's back, and he's got good manners! *Triple backflip*

(No sarcasm this time, really.)

Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:58 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next