View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 What about MP Mod ? 

Post What about MP Mod ?
Hi everybody !

I just found this game and it is SO COOL ! Well I have played the 6min demo for about 10 maybe 20 times...
(Now, I'm not asking datarealms to make a multiplayer option cuz I don't want warning... so listen...)

All of you know the GTA San Andreas, and it's not multiplayer game but there is a MultiPlayer Mod for it.

This game would be really nice when playing over LAN !
so, IS IT possible to make a Multiplayer MOD for this game ?

-> It's not easy to play with keyboard only when there is 2players.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:01 pm
Moderator Hero

Post Re: What about MP Mod ?
http://forums.datarealms.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11599

I highly doubt there will be a multiplayer mod. I hope the above link will help you.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:07 pm

Cool but not cool...
I read the whole thread and tried it but it's very laggy. :shock:

Maybe just have to wait for real Multiplayer LAN mod...
But this problem have been for over 2 years so I don't believe that it's going to be solved soon, just need to wait for the god :-(

Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:24 pm

A game like Cortex Command will not work very well over a network. For any online game, a server is used to keep each client synchronized with each other. Anything that happens on one client's screen should match what happens on another client's screen.

One problem with CC is that you could have thousands of MOPixels on the screen, bouncing around everywhere. And these pixels aren't just visual effects. They could be damaging bullets or derbies. So they HAVE to be replicated on the other clients' computers, otherwise you could have someone die from a bullet on one screen, and not on another. Sending that much information, and quickly, over the network can be VERY laggy.

The GTA multiplayer SA-MP has TONS of replication issues. Believe me, I've coded for a SA-MP server before. For example, when you jump out of a speeding car, the second you leave the car, the server stops replicating the location of the car, to save bandwidth. So for any nearby player, the car could be in completely random places. It doesn't resync-up until someone tries to get inside the vehicle.

tl-dr; Multiplayer on CC is too impractical.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:30 am

Yeah, a thousand demolition derbies going on at once with all the cars crashing everywhere synchronized over a network simply wouldn't work with feasibly available server bandwidth, too much would be going on.

Someone needs to make a craft that gibs into antigravity top-down perspective cars that home in on and smash stuff, including each other.

But anyways, if a third computer actually ran the game and both players were clients, only receiving video/audio and giving control input, it could be fair.

OnLive shows the concept in supposedly functional use, so I think it would be possible, but probably not feasible to DRL's resources. And clearly, they're not interested.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:59 am

Okey, Now I understand the problem.

But isn't it possible over LAN ?
Assuming that it sends information faster...

Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:03 am

The thread method someone posted above actually works pretty well over LAN. I've done it before.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:05 pm
Profile WWW

Well, I just tried it over LAN and it is too laggy...

Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:34 pm

how'd you connect. Through router or a switch board.

Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:54 pm

Wut?

Use any VNC program, like remote desktop (though I recommend a better free one).
One machine runs the game, and serves up VNC.
Another computer connects to the VNC machine, and then controls it.
Direct ethernet or really good wifi are the only ways to make this fast enough, though a very nice internet connection DOES work, I tested that at my college. One way or another you want to make it so both machines can input at the same time, and then somehow not screw up keyboard entry.

Oh, and yes, this does mean you can play CC remotely from a PSP or other soft-modded console running a VNC program, mac/pc/linux machine, etc.

Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:26 am

What about transferring only input from players and let the rest be handled by the game itself? Is that possible?
So instead of all the data of each particle only the input aka buttons the players press and other command are transferred.
As a bonus, the timescale is also transferred between players to make sure neither player is going too fast by setting the timescale to the player with the lowest value.

I would guess possible problems could be desynchronizing if the connection screws up, but if it wont, it could run just fine in theory. :oops:

Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:17 am

Read the thread regarding Zalo's multiplayer and search the other threads about the same. Apparently the random value generators break that idea.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:08 pm
Profile WWW

Oh yeah those. Weapon spread and dispersion of gold and other terrain objects to name a few.

Damn. Ass. : C

Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:07 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

One could have one to be the host and another to receive info from the other's computer, while sending imput to the second, kinda like the method used in the remote pc thingie, except built-in.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:25 pm

That'd still be bloody hard to put in. And Data's already said he doesn't want to. Eh. We'll have to stick to this method.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:38 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next