View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Snapshot 

Post Snapshot
How do I take an in game picture?

Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:19 pm

Post Re: Snapshot
If on a pc, use "prt scrn". If on a mac, I have no idea.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:29 pm
happy carebear mom

If you are using windows, simply press the prnt scrn button on your keyboard for a second or two. Cortex will output a bitmap into the Cortex Command directory named ScreenDump***.bmp, with the *** being a number starting at 000 and going to 999. Holding down prntscrn captures successive frames, so animations can be made by making a gif or movie out of the snapshots in succession (000 through 102 for example).

I don't know how you would capture the action on a mac, but I think there is a shortcut for that too.

EDIT: Ninja'd, but I have more detail *is superior?*

Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:34 pm

Is superior >.>

I think for mac you have to hold down 2 keys.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:46 pm

Not that you asked for it, but in case people end up here from the search(hahaha):
You use Command-Shift-3 for a fullscreen, Command-Shift-4 for activating a selection tool, and Command-Shift-4-Space to get the "select window" tool.
These can be reconfigured in system preferences under Keyboard, in the shortcuts area.
If you want to use them a lot, I advise changing them to something easier to hit fast.

You cannot hold anything down (so far as I know) inside CC and get frames for making into a Gif.
(I would love to be corrected on this point)

Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:43 pm
happy carebear mom

PhantomAGN wrote:
You use Command-Shift-3 for a fullscreen, Command-Shift-4 for activating a selection tool, and Command-Shift-4-Space to get the "select window" tool.
These can be reconfigured in system preferences under Keyboard, in the shortcuts area.
If you want to use them a lot, I advise changing them to something easier to hit fast.

Putting this in the FAQ, thanks.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:20 pm

Perhaps you should only leave the Command-Shift-3 shortcut in the FAQ. The other ones cannot be used at all while in-game (they aren't supported in full-screen games).
Also, you can add for comprehensiveness sake that the files are dumped to the desktop (in the png format).

About video recording with QuickTime: the OS version you need is Snow Leopard, numbered 10.6. Trying to record a video of CC at a different resolution that the one used when starting the recording will result in letterboxing (the actual video being in the bottom-left corner) and sometimes the desktop will flash visible. So it's better to change the screen resolution to the one used in CC before starting the recording.

Aside: Cortex Command's continuous dump feature is coded, well, in CC itself. So making it work under Mac OS shouldn't be hard for the dev (from what I understand/know) and I guess, will probably come in a future version. In fact, the choice of PrntScrn what totally arbitrary, and was meant to be familiar. So Mac CC will be able to use something less complicated that Command-Shift-3 when the feature is coded in.
Of course, I may be totally wrong.

(PhantomAGN, what is your resolution/computer? I'm curious there)

Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:26 pm
Profile WWW
happy carebear mom

Adding~
We need a dedicated Mac brigade or something to compile their own set of FAQs.

Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:18 pm

Well, if there is need for some Mac info at some point, you can PM me.

Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:40 pm
Profile WWW

AND MY AX.
As the in-progress FAQ is being set up, shall we just PM the mac variant of the answer so that it can be edited in?
It ought to be a pretty standard looking method, whatever we do.
Also, a "you can PM me for help on X" would have made a good function of the signatures.

Chamky, those are great points, I just assumed "most recent" Qucktime was sufficient. Your post reminded me I have mac friends stuck on 10.4.

When you are not in fullscreen Cmd-Shift-4 does work, but CC also steals your mouse (trapping it to the center) and thus you would need to switch to another program (that does not obscure the game) in order to use it on CC. The variant, Cmd-Shift-4-Space does work fine.

My screen rez is the macbook default of 1280x800, and I never ever go to fullscreen. I hate being unable to multitask that way.
On occasion I play CC on an iMac with an ungodly screen, but I like using my laptop more.
It's impossible to lose when you see so far that any predictable weapon becomes akin to a sniper.

Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:28 pm
happy carebear mom

PhantomAGN wrote:
As the in-progress FAQ is being set up, shall we just PM the mac variant of the answer so that it can be edited in?

That would be cool. You can always chime in when there is a thread with a "I'm not sure how you do this on a mac..." in it.

Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]