View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 5:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Let's make a campaign! 

Post Re: Let's make a campaign!
If you say so... maybe we could ask Data on when they are going to relase next build, and how big exactly will it be.

Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:15 pm

all i have to say about the previous statement is: good luck!

Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:30 pm

Maybe there could be some third-party mods in there. :-o
Perhaps a DS ferratus as a boss in one of the later missions?

Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:13 pm

I think a AAL MPAM would do well as a boss..

Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:30 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

It wouldn't really, becasue of wonky walkpaths and near undestructible-ness, you would have to either disable some control panel or find some huge-ass turret while being chased.

Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:32 pm
Loose Canon

Or we could, you know, make something. Like a giant monsterous thing. Middle of the page btw.

Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:36 pm
Profile WWW

Ok, I sent email to Data asking how much time is left before relase of next build. For now - you're right - let's just wait, as our effort will be pointless if next build would be very big, and much better than what we will make. Now let's only try to gather people, eventually make some bosses and other things usefull for it (as in case of cancelling this project they could be relased as separate mod(s)). Eventually create, share and polish ideas.
Here are some mine:
Single-single(single, and single player) missions:
Best if these missions (as opposed to mini-campaigns) would be endless, and something kind of go-for-hiscore or survival thingie.
Idea 1:Gold transport
Player have got single dropship, that is only destructible by reducing its health to 0(not by destroying parts of it, like engines)
The dropship flies between point A and point B transferring gold chunks. Each chunk gives(depending on its size) from 10 to 50 oz, player can drop anything he/she wants from orbit including troops and weapons. In each of bases, and in begining actor there are two lua-based indestructible tools, one for 'mounting' actor to ship to protect it, and one for repairing it. Between points A and B there are few caves, in each cave there is a spawn-point for clones, that get armed (randomly) with rocket launchers, heavy sniper rifles, machine guns or sometimes - something else. Also from sky there are enemies flying on jetpacks (or something else since we have LUA) that attack the ship. Goal is to collect as much money as possible

Idea 2:Strategy
Some nice map with quite much terrain objects. There are few strategic points, that can get captured by standing near them for long enough, and many mini-points visible only to some engineer-class actors. Engineers can build turrets, door, walls and other similiar things. Each point gives some amount of money once every 10 seconds(depending on kind of this point), goal is to accumulate some certain amount of money. Strategy is especially important, as buying more troops gives greater chance of winning battle, but reduces your cash amount. Some points could be: Ruins in caves, ruins on surface, power generator, one of bases(red team one, green team one, and one neutral somewhere), and important points like top of hill/mountain. This would require much lua coding and even more work.

Idea 3:Arena
Map with many areas, each area is an arena(sometimes cave, sometimes bunker...).
There are no orbital drops, can be played with more players than one. Player gets a simple robot, that must fight on arenas, there are randomly generated 'offers' with randomly chosen arena and opponents(matched to level of player), for victories player gains money and for losses - loses it. With money player can buy weapons(expensive), if possible to implement - ammo as well, better armor(changes type of actor) and special upgrades(like one that disables homing missiles, or one that sends EMP impulse, or automatic shoulder-mounted gun, etc.)

Idea 4:Stealth
Player is given a weak, small robot with infinite ammo sniper rifle and explosives. There are few(5-8) bunkers on map, each with few important points and some other places like caves, etc. every time player destroys(by planting a bomb) enemy brain there is next brain spawned at random point, each time security gets tighter, and there are more and better armed enemies along with turrets. Weapons can be stolen from enemies, but have ammo liited by lua. For every destroy of brain player gets 20 points, and 1 point for every kill of enemy.

Multiplayer missions:
Idea 1:Arena
LUA script first asks players for:
a) What weapon to use
b) What actor to use
c) Limit of points
Then players get spawned in special points and fight, when one player dies he respawns (as far as possible from enemy) and enemy gains one kill. This would work bet if implemented as skirmish activity(if possible)

Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Asmageddon wrote:
LUA

* cough * Lua * cough *
Okay. Plausibility of stuff. Everything checks out, but limited ammo might be a tad tricky in lua.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:44 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Asmageddon wrote:
That is right, but we CAN make a campaign.

You should really visit the Scenes Releases forum and check out how many missions we made for more than a year :) Not too many, I must say. If you have enough will to make a dozen of missions, go grab mission making tutorial and start making :)

Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:13 pm

Data needs to hire more people to work on Cortex Command. It would speed up progress a lot, and perhaps I'd be able to see the Metagame in my lifetime.
But hey, I can't complain. I feel like I got my 20$ worth for Cortex Command.

Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:01 pm

I worked with deathbringer a few months ago on making some destructible buildings in addition to his obelisk. (If you don't know about this under-rated creation, it's basically a building that acts in a physically predictable way when damaged. (for example, if you knock out it's base, the whole thing falls down)) . While this code is kind of slow on some computers, it doesnt use lua and is very reliable and simple.

These attachable-based buildings have a minor issue of actors phasing through them, but I figured out a way to fix that.

I would be happy to submit the destructible building codes and sprites I have made and maybe make some more, though the sprites are only untextured outlines, which basically need to be filled in with color in shading.

Realistic destructible buildings would play an awesome role if they were implemented in this campaign. Imagine a mission where you have to destroy an enemy generator, which slowly breaks apart as you destroy it, or shooting an rpg into an enemy bunker and watching it crumble and crush your enemies with it's peices ( I have made such a bunker, and this actually works pretty well).

If you are still wondering about destructible buildings, here are the basic characteristics:

Based off of attachables

Peices that fall off can effect the motion of other parts of the building

Peices gib when they are torn from the building upon reaching the ground

I hope you might be interested in this, because I have had alot of fun with it. Reading this post was really refreshing due to the low feeling thats been pervading DR lately; i think making a nice joint campaign could really be something to get the community up and running again.

Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:29 am

@Cadwaller

Yeah, that would be really cool, but first we need more people. When some more people will get into this I'll make a summary of our 'team' members :P
For now it would be: (I try to rather include only people who confirmed to want to participate.)

Ideas:
Asmageddon

Mapping:
Lizard
Asmageddon
Advanced mapping(drawing map objects):

Actor development:
Asmageddon (Excluding custom walkapths of course... also I'm rather used to making simple human actors only :P)
dragonxp
Weapon development:
Asmageddon
wiffles
dragonxp
Other stuff development:
Cadwaller (destructible buildings)
LUA scripting:
Asmageddon (Hardly, I didn't script too much in lua, but I have talent for scripting and I lear quite fast)

If you think it could turn out useless - Hey, and why would that disturb us. Wouldn't the process of development be fun enough? And satisfaction of doing good work? Also when people get bored with vanilla CC content of next build, as it wont be final yet they will seek something. And having some bigger project could really get this project running, as more people knowing about this = more people helping us(probably). Also we could not stop developing it, and it could eventually get bigger and/or even better than Data's campaign and missions.

Last edited by Asmageddon on Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:34 pm

Ill go for weapon + Actor development.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:19 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Hmm, get wiffles on for support, or bug fixes.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:51 am

Updated the list. Now just few more people...

Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next