View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 2:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Alternate punishment methods. 
Banned

Post Re: Alternate punishment methods.
I'm getting there because I am being a devil's advocate--a contrarian--and you don't like it. Woe betide anyone criticizes our internet overlord or tries to suggest alternatives for their own community.

And I guess you don't play WoW or something. It's not very easy to get banned from World of Warcraft. There are very explicit, specific infractions that result in a ban. Sure, repetitive intention infractions eventually result in bans, but most accounts are only banned for being gold farmers, for implementing botting, or for repeatedly disrupting the community.

I am sure that "disrupting the community" is something that you are focusing on using your WoW motif, obviously. But even that is not enforced. I can go into Trade Chat and spam NIGGERS ♥♥♥♥♥♥ MY ♥♥♥♥♥♥ NIGGERS over and over and are quite unlikely to receive a ban.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:46 am
Profile YIM
happy carebear mom

ProjektTHOR wrote:
Duh102 wrote:
Perhaps a better "member-only" thing would be early access to builds and news..
Now you're suggesting we pay more money for more things that we should get by virtue of having already paid for a beta opt-in copy?
My suggestion was an amendment to the proposed ruling by weasel. Rather than making the entire forum buyer-only, give key owners new builds a week ahead of time, blah blah.

That is if weasel/Data/whoever goes ahead with this at all. It would be preferable to not have member vs non-member splits at all.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:46 am

Duh102 wrote:
Rather than making the entire forum buyer-only, give key owners new builds a week ahead of time, blah blah.

Possible leaks, etc.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:24 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

RUN CORTEXCOMMAND.EXE

ENTER YOUR KEY
SUBMIT / I DON'T HAVE A KEY

NO KEY? ENJOY WAITING A WEEK

Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:39 am

Herp a derp, demo time.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:47 am
Loose Canon

Giving a build a week early does seem a bit unfair, but if its only a week, then my guilty consious decided that "Screw the crablings, they can wait a week, unless they have extremely severe ADHD. For them we have Ritalin."

Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:57 am
Profile WWW
happy carebear mom

Duh102 wrote:
It would be preferable to not have member vs non-member splits at all.

But, if we (weasel makes us) have to, I think a week of waiting to use the newest build would be preferable to not having mods/scenes/missions.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:06 am

I dont think we'll get too much of a split in the community. Especially if moving to the privelaged half of the community only costs twenty bucks.
I like the wait-a-week for your build idea, but not the alternative "payment option" banning, as that option becomes redundant when you get a bastard member who can afford to pay for as many get out of jail free cards as he wants.
warn -> tempban -> longertempban -> permaban escalation works fine.
also, how come we now have new moderators?

Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:08 am
Profile WWW

ProjektTHOR wrote:
I'm getting there because I am being a devil's advocate--a contrarian--and you don't like it. Woe betide anyone criticizes our internet overlord or tries to suggest alternatives for their own community.
Really? I thought it was more because it made you sound whiny and annoying whilst you bitched about everything possible.

Anyway, you have to realise that like half the people here are just teenagers - $20 is quite a lot.
Duh102 wrote:
Duh102 wrote:
It would be preferable to not have member vs non-member splits at all.

But, if we (weasel makes us) have to, I think a week of waiting to use the newest build would be preferable to not having mods/scenes/missions.
As long as the difference isn't constantly and conspicuously reminding everyone of their current status. At the moment, we have tags which don't really do anything. Nobody has ever chewed out anyone for their registration status except possibly someone still thinking that the free version doesn't work with mods. Releasing builds a week early could work alright, even if the members were free to show/tell the non-members about the new build: the single week when the difference is evident will generally have the non-members asking about the new build rather than complaining about the members. A members-only forum, in my opinion, would work only if nothing important is in there, which, in my opinion again, makes such a forum sort of pointless.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:11 am
Profile WWW
DRLGrump

411570N3 wrote:
Anyway, you have to realise that like half the people here are just teenagers - $20 is quite a lot.

I'm a teenager. I don't get allowance from my parents, nor am I spoiled. $20 is still not much.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:21 am

Tomaster wrote:
411570N3 wrote:

I'm a teenager. I don't get allowance from my parents, nor am I spoiled. $20 is still not much.

Shut up dammit! He just try to protect you! D:<

Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:13 am

Geti wrote:
how come we now have new moderators?

Explain this.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:19 am
Banned

Tomaster wrote:
411570N3 wrote:

That's probably because your parents will pay for something if you ask.

Us adults, on the other hand, have bills to pay (and better games to spend money on).

Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:20 am
Profile YIM
DRLGrump

ProjektTHOR wrote:
Tomaster wrote:
411570N3 wrote:

That's probably because your parents will pay for something if you ask.

Us adults, on the other hand, have bills to pay (and better games to spend money on).

You could not be further from the truth. The last time my parents bought me something luxury wise was when I was twelve. I considered spoiled as if they ask they get it. I'm the opposite of that.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:30 am
happy carebear mom

Tomaster wrote:
411570N3 wrote:

And because you can pay for it, it is a valid punishment for other people who have said they cannot?

Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next