View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 2:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Where should i start? 

Post Where should i start?
Okay, so i want to make my own faction. Nothing big maybe a few soldiers and weapons.
The thing is i don't know how to get started, and any help will be appriciated. Thanks. :)

Also, if this sort of help is elswhere, (if so then please direct me to it.) then i'm sorry for creating this topic. :oops:

Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:43 pm

Post Re: Where should i start?
You may want to start with a simple design, brainstorm 2 or more characters and weapons, maby 5+ weapons if you want and a few other things like ships, think of any abilities and characteristics before sketching out their design, maby do a few untill your happy. When making the mod you may want to create a folder structure, subfolders for actors ect. Then you can start on the indexes.

Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:03 pm

Start by downloading mods and messing around with their variables and figure out what does what. Then if you don't understand how doing X gets to Y, ask for help on the forum. Once you know enough stuff, you can try making your own mod. If you get stuck, just ask for help. Remember, if you fail at once, try try again.

Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:15 pm
Banned

As far as starting to code, start with something simple, like a pistol or a grenade. Both of those will help a lot if you know how to make them properly, and besides, they barely have 50 lines of code, bullets, clip and all.

Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:22 pm
Profile YIM

well i've done a few sketches, for the time being, i'm going to work on one actor, a rifle and a pistol.

Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:32 pm

You could look at a few examples, some were uploaded somwhere I think, try using those as a base if you want, it's easyer then going from scratch unless you know exactly what to do.

Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:38 pm
Banned

You mean the mod templates?

Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:47 pm
Profile YIM

Well start by not bothering with a whole faction at all. Begin with something smaller: like one stand alone mod, for instance.

Use the modding templates posted above, but eh, I don't see why it would be useful to start with a gun. There's not much to be learned with guns - pretty boring. Make an actor first, then learn to attach things to that actor, then make a craft. Actually, crafts are a little easier than actors. Donno, but skip guns - you won't learn much from making guns.

Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:51 pm
Profile YIM
happy carebear mom

Except pretty much everything.
Don't listen to anybody that tells you to skip certain parts of the game engine, do everything. Start with smaller things to get used to how picky syntax can be, and how annoying making sprites is, then work up to larger, most complicated things. This is usually in a progression from TDExplosive to HeldDevices to AHumans to Craft to ACrabs.

Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:53 pm
Banned

Also, you might want to check the sticky at the top of this very forum. I'll give you the benefit of a doubt and assume you haven't found your answers there, though.

Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:01 pm
Profile YIM

Duh102 wrote:
Except pretty much everything.
Don't listen to anybody that tells you to skip certain parts of the game engine, do everything. Start with smaller things to get used to how picky syntax can be, and how annoying making sprites is, then work up to larger, most complicated things. This is usually in a progression from TDExplosive to HeldDevices to AHumans to Craft to ACrabs.

I didn't mean skip as in skip forever. I just meant that if he wanted to learn how to mod fast, he might as well skip guns for right now.

Getting right to AHumans is good because it involves attachables, animations, and physical variables in very straight forward ways. These are concepts which one must know in modding everything else. Guns just require a knowledge of physical attributes and then some very gun-specific stuff.

To start with guns would be like starting with making a cutting board in shop class. It's so simple, why bother? Just go straight to birdhouse why don't you?

Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:06 pm
Profile YIM
Banned

Guns and actors are different things, saying one is better than another is like saying that rock is better than classical music.

Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:09 pm
Profile YIM

Rawtoast - Well, what if you make some mistake on your birdhouse and you can't figure out what the heck is wrong? I say you should start small to learn the basic mechanics of wood-working/modding. Like, you can't build a house if you don't know how to properly use a saw, and you can't make an actor if you can't make an .rte/do filepaths/CopyOfs/whatever. A device has all the simple stuff without the walls of confusing stuff.

Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:26 pm

I used to practice by coming up with a theme and making one actor, one gun, and one grenade.
Make sure to mess with every parameter, find out for yourself what everything does. If something you did broke it, change it back.
Once you are comfortable with that I'd recommend adding a dropship to your practice packs, then after that a rocket.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:05 am
Profile WWW

I tried to make a gun, but it's saying theres something wrong. Apparently it's something to do with line 1.
Code:
AddDevice = HDFirearm
        PresetName = AR B 09
        Description = A basic rifle and one of Mason's most popular; widely used for defensive roles, but can be used for pretty much any use. Tough and has a fast rate of fire.
        AddToGroup = Weapons

That is the very start of the whole ini file, have i set it out wrong?
(I typed most of it whilst looking at the wiki to try and help me learn, so maybe i made an error?)

Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next