View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 "The Aftermath" Faction, a WIP. Test release kinda! 
Banned

Post Re: Horrors Faction, a WIP. Help also needed!
I get the feeling (based on the pic supplied by Carriontrooper) these Plague Bringers will be glass cannons. Haven't had too many of those around here...

Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:02 am
Profile YIM

If by that you mean cheap, barely armored, fast troops who would gib if they stubbed their toes on on a stray sand pixel, wielding busted up assault rifles and single-shot, long-reload RPGs, than yes, you are correct.

They're pretty much going to be skeletons with jetpacks and a slightly higher tolerance to death.

I love fodder, I truly do.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:39 am
Banned

Eh, cannon fodder works too, I guess. Mowing down fodder with an infinite ammo Laser Rifle never gets old.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:49 am
Profile YIM

They certainly won't be the only units of course. I've got some lovely things in mind.

I'm not expecting an answer anytime soon, since it's so early in the morning, but what do I need to do to say, put the head image behind the torso, like the Browncoats? To simulate a collar. I can't find whatever the variable is in the Browncoat .inis. Also having a bit of trouble working with Offsets for the head, but I'll figure that one out.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:54 am

drawafterparent. play with that variable.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:59 am
Profile YIM WWW

Why thank you. Saw the .ini didn't have it, got it from the Browncoat file. Worked like a charm. I think I have offsets down, for the most part, so some fooling around with them, then I resprite the legs, feet, and arms, since I've already done the head and the torso, and the graphics side will be good to go!

Sometimes I feel like I'm beginning to learn what I'm doing. This is a strange, tingly feeling.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:10 am
Banned

Here's a thought, why don't you leave the Coalition limbs there? They look perfect.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:11 am
Profile YIM

Now that I have the inspiration material I'm going to be working a little closer to it, but I didn't completely leave out the thought of a sort of maddened/corrupted coalition soldier that's closer to the original sprite I've got. Maybe with a different face and some slight tinting so it's not so blatant, but yeah.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:21 am
Banned

And will the weapons be similar to the ones in the art, or mauled and scrappy Coalition ones, to imply that these guys are the remnants of some Coalition task force?

Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:26 am
Profile YIM

Oh, they'll definitely be different. I've got it in mind that there's two layers to this faction: these refugee, remnants as you put it, numerous and determined, souls gutted by corruption, using low-tech and shoddy weaponry that's been augmented. Plated AKs that don't break so easily, but are heavy and difficult to aim, inaccurate but powerful sniper rifles, a single shot, slow-to-reload rocket launcher, etc.

The other layer, represented by the big guy whom I'm also tweaking a good bit, are like the guys corrupting and mentally perverting these lost soldiers. Abominations from the vast reaches of space, masses of flesh and oozing with ichor, advanced and warped tech, etc.

The general theme is that these guys are just a bunch of sociopaths. They're not out for monetary gain (though, if it means less of the opposition to get rid of, than they'll gobble it up where they can) or for power, or even because it's fun.

At least, that's a rough draft. I may throw in some Crusader stuff, as in, they're ordered by their twisted gods (whom may or may not exist, or if they do, they could be long dead) to go forth and destroy.

Edit:

OP Updated.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:34 am

by the way, those masks are a Venetian style I think, although modified with a steam punk influence.

Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:24 pm

Nah, they're more like, plague doctor masks.

Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:27 pm

Cannon foddesr, how I love them too. But for any cannon fodder faction there should be a way to quickly fill the battlefield with units. That crab growth pod mod is the perfect example, though it doesn't necessarily have to be growth pods.

Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:33 pm

Benpasko wrote:
Nah, they're more like, plague doctor masks.

Just did a bit of research. Turns out that the plague doctor mask was venetian.
This is one of those great arguments where both parties are correct.

http://www.magicofvenezia.com/servlet/t ... ste/Detail
Apologies for the commercial site, but it's got all the info there!

Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:47 pm

Those arguments are the best kinds, really.

But yeah, they're Plague Doctor masks. I kind of warped the original intent, since they're supposed to be fighting the plagues, but I really dig the mask and I can just say something about "Falling to the plague" or something.

As for fielding the units en masse, I'd like to do that but I have no idea how. I may take a look at the crab pod mod, which is something I have in my notes somewhere, but I'm trying to do as much as I can on my own since I'm still learning the ropes in the ini files and I've never touched Lua in my life.

The Plague Doctors, and, well, another "Plague" unit I have in progress, I'm trying to get them to be a bit hazardous to kill. Metal madness suggested having them "pop" when they die, and I'd like to combine that with making the gibs harmful to other factions. Again, I have no idea how to do that...

Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next