View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 8:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 "The Aftermath" Faction, a WIP. Test release kinda! 

Post "The Aftermath" Faction, a WIP. Test release kinda!
Good afternoon, Data Realms. My, you're looking good today. You do something with your hair?

A little bit back, before I had even registered this account, I got an idea for a unique faction like so many others before me. After that idea failed, I sat in a corner for a while before coming up with something fresh and new, and thus I give you the Horrors faction!

Alright, they're more of a Post-Apocalyptic faction than anything. "After the Plague" is the theme I'm going for. Expect cobbled-together weapons and armors, and a general famine/diseased look.

Originally was going to have some Eldritch Horror angle going on with super expensive units that would totally wreck ♥♥♥♥, but I'm going to hold that off for another thing down the line since I'm getting very involved with the other unit theme at this time.

Anyway, picture time.

Attachment:
The attachment AllPreview.png is no longer available

On the Left column, downward, we have:

Plague Templar - The "Heavy" unit. More medium than anything. Has a chest plat that also covers the back a little bit.

STG/MP 44 - Widely considered to be the first modern assault rifle. Small magazine, but packs a bit of a punch.

RPD SW - A light Squad Automatic Weapon. Very fast firing rate and a large magazine, but generally low accuracy.

Dragunov SVD - A semi-automatic sniper rifle. Decent firing rate and good accuracy, but low damage and force.

Saber - A melee weapon designed to sheer and slice off limbs.

And on the Right:

Plague Insurgent - Light, fast, easily gibbed.

Crossbow - Single shot, slow reload, but it packs one hell of a punch.

RPG 7 - A single shot rocket launcher with a slow reload designed specifically to take out infantry.

12 Guage Shotgun - Another single shot weapon with a decent particle spread. Average damage, but really good at removing limbs.

Skorpion - A small SMG with a high firing rate. Good stopping power, bad accuracy at mid-to-long range.

I am Releasing what I have so far. I'm not abandoning this by any means, but my attentions are elsewhere at the moment and I'm having a hard time finishing this at a respectable pace. So, to prove I'm not just being a tease, here is The Aftermath. Or whatever I've made, so far.

Attachment:
AllPreview.png
AllPreview.png [ 49.3 KiB | Viewed 5778 times ]

Last edited by UnsubRedun on Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:52 am, edited 17 times in total.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:33 am

Post Re: Horrors Faction, a WIP. Help also needed!
Waaaaay too much black in those sprites.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:40 am

Yeah, I'll eventually get around to fixing that. I know it looks like it's ONLY black, but I really didn't want it to turn out "gray". Kind of hard to fear the Forces of Off-White.

It really does look better in motion, but then again, so do a lot of things.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:42 am

UnsubRedun wrote:
Uni-Societal Spacemans most are fond of.

oh, you mean like the combine in half life 2, which those look quite strikingly like?

Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:02 am
Profile YIM WWW

It sounds like you took offense to that. I happen to be one of those who are fond of Spacemans.

In fact they were my first idea that I mentioned, but it got difficult making them look different from, say, the Mercenaries, or the DarkStorm guys.

And actually only one guy looks like a combine, and I only just realized it.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:27 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Miles_T3hR4t wrote:
oh, you mean like the combine in half life 2, which those look quite strikingly like?

miles we just got through a thread pretty calmly, but really man

you find half life two references in everything

d9 is not nova prospekt the movie
these sprites are not combine ripoffs

Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:34 am

To be fair, the Wrath Guard does look like he wouldn't get along with Gordon too well.

Maybe it's the white helmet and gas-mask? Truly a mystery.

He'll look different when I get around to changing up the sprites. I actually want him to be more... pointy. I just want to get my basic ideas down for now, since I have a terrible short-term memory and I'm only now remembering sweet weapon ideas I've been thinking about for a week.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:41 am

Grif wrote:
Miles_T3hR4t wrote:

miles we just got through a thread pretty calmly, but really man

you find half life two references in everything

d9 is not nova prospekt the movie
these sprites are not combine ripoffs

I didn't say that they where a ripoff, I only just said that they looked the same, and that one snippet seem the same. I wasn't getting angry or anything, I was just pointing it out. considering the bit to the right of the guy, looks like a skull with a gas-mask, and the weapons are different, it clearly is not actually combine. it just looks the same. the reference to uni-cultural space-men in the same topic was also funny.

Now, if these are based on anything in any way could you please point it out directly? otherwise, yeah it kinda does look like combine, but there are several semi-obvious differences. in a mod-critical point of view, yeah way to black.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:59 am
Profile YIM WWW

Aiight.

Plague dude is based on a rather awesome piece of artwork I really cannot remember the name of or even the original artist. I thought it was Beksinksi, but combing through his site brought up nothing. The general idea was, I believe that was conveyed in the art, is that there were remnants of a an apocalypse of some kind. Given the Plague Doctor masks, I'd imagine it was biological. They looked like famished Rebels, using cold-war era weapons like RPGs and AKs. I just really liked the image.

Fat guy is just something I thought up as a heavy counter-part.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:37 am

UnsubRedun wrote:
Aiight.

Plague dude is based on a rather awesome piece of artwork I really cannot remember the name of or even the original artist. I thought it was Beksinksi, but combing through his site brought up nothing. The general idea was, I believe that was conveyed in the art, is that there were remnants of a an apocalypse of some kind. Given the Plague Doctor masks, I'd imagine it was biological. They looked like famished Rebels, using cold-war era weapons like RPGs and AKs. I just really liked the image.

Fat guy is just something I thought up as a heavy counter-part.

I think you should take the guys with the plague mask, and add some spikes to their helmet, or make it more like a hood. A regular helmet just isn't quite as menacing.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:16 am

Maybe. I know I'm going to be adding things, but it just didn't look the part of an emaciated soldier without a helmet and I'm mostly just throwing ideas down at this point, so I just slapped on the unused Ronin helmet.

I'll probably end up slapping spikes on the big guys (definitely) and make the Plague guys look more.. plague-ey. Pustules, translucent sores and the like.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:05 am

[quote="UnsubRedun"]Aiight.

Plague dude is based on a rather awesome piece of artwork I really cannot remember the name of or even the original artist.quote]

It's Keith Thompson. Here's his site: http://www.keiththompsonart.com/
And here's his picture of the plague corps: http://www.keiththompsonart.com/pages/viraemia.html

And they were actually the ones combating the 'plague' instead of spreading it.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:25 am
Profile YIM WWW

Thank you!

And I know, hence the Doctor masks. They just looked like they belonged in a twisted, pro-pestilence faction so until we get some serious plagues going on in CC I'm just going to imagine them as such.

But seriously, thanks for those links.

Last edited by UnsubRedun on Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:40 am

well, at least you were honest about the resprites. i'll see how this plays later. glad someone else loves keith thomson's art.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:57 am
Profile WWW

It wouldn't feel right if I just said I edited some pixels here and there, y'know?

I don't plan on using any pre-existing artwork if I can help it, these are just... placeholders, I guess.

And I love his art, and I felt bad I couldn't remember anything about his name other than "Ksomething".

The art, as far as I can tell, doesn't have any problems other than the big guy's feet sinking into the ground, which I'm going to try to get help with soon Most likely something with the offsets or walkpaths, which I am not good with at all.. I'm not uploading anything just yet since it's all messy and there's a lot of stuff in the mod right now I'm not showing because it's either not finished or just buggy.

Updating art right now, things should look different, better in general and more... unique.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next