View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 MODDING FEATURE SUGGESTION THREAD 
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Post MODDING FEATURE SUGGESTION THREAD
But uh let's start a compendium (ACTIVE MODDER'S SUGGESTIONS ONLY [ideally]) of things that would make our job, as modders, easier.

To clarify somewhat: not "make modding easier," but "stop obscuring us from doing things that we should be able to do."

1. EmissionOffsets on each emission of an emitter.
2. Gibbing at the end of lifetime, as an optional variable. As a property of ALL mosprites, not just TDEs.

Lua suggestions would also fit with this, I guess.

Again (to reiterate for the morons who will not read this post):
THIS IS NOT A LIST OF THINGS THAT WOULD BE COOL, OR THINGS THAT SHOULD BE MADE EASIER.
This is a compendium of all the things that are either A: actively preventing modders from doing things right/easily, or B: fairly simple functions that would add functionality to .ini modding.

Last edited by Grif on Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:52 pm

Post Re: Suggestions for Weasel to suggest to Data
As has been said before, a variable for terrain damage. A percentage would be useful.

EDIT: IE,
Code:
   TerrainDamage = 100

So that would be one hundred percent of total damage.

Code:
   TerrainDamage = 50

Would be fifty percent, etc, etc.

Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:55 pm

I think that changing the reticle sprite would open up a whole new range of customization by making each weapon more unique. Still, I heard this was at the bottom of Data's list to improve. :???:

Also, though this is certainly way over the top, and maybe will never be in the game, an offset editor, like the gib editor, would really make things easier for those of us who hate calculating walkpaths. I know this has been suggested already.

I don't know if I should post here, because I have not made any mods (though I'm still making one). I believe in free posting rights for any thread, so I'm not gonna pay attention to any "OMG UR NOT OSSOM U SUCKER GTFO THIS THREAD!" comments. :wink:

Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:58 pm
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Perhaps I should clarify my clarification: this is not a thread for people to say "OMG MODDING R 2 HARD 4 ME MAKE IT EASIUR ADD A GUI TO NOTEPAD" etc

suggestions that make sense are greatly appreciated, and opening the reticle sprite falls into that.

an easier to use offset editor, however, is not the desired subject of this thread.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:08 am

How about non-seemingly arbitrary offset values? Sure, it's possible to mod while memorizing which offsets have reversed x/y axises, and yeah, you could say this request is based off a desire to make modding a little easier, but really now, I'm just asking for something to not be broken.

Last edited by Rawtoast on Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:41 am
Profile YIM

Emitters really need optional velocity inheritance for their emissions, and they themselves need flip inheritance from their parent objects.
The lack of these is made clear by even vanilla content, particularly in the case of wounds.
These two relatively simple options would greatly improve possible AEmitter function and appearance, in my opinion.

Edit: Disregard this weasel, I hadn't noticed your reply to me saying this in another thread, but it is a good example of something that would best be suggested in this thread.

Last edited by Azukki on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:37 am, edited 4 times in total.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:42 am
Loose Canon

Lua access to materials and attachments.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:33 am
Profile WWW

Hyperkultra wrote:
Lua access to materials and attachments.

What?

EDIT: Oh wait, I didn't see the 'Lua'

Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:54 am

Q: Will you ever give Mia and Sandra girly voices? I'm starting to think they're cross-dressers. - CrazyMLC

Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:13 am
Profile WWW
Banned

Why do we need this thread when we already have the DEVELOPERS WANT YOUR INPUT thread?

Edit: Okay so the other one is content. Why not make this thread title more descriptive? Initially it seems you were just asking for generic input. Both of those threads need new titles.

The content one should say "Devs want your input on content" and this one should say something akin to "Devs want your input on modding functionality."

The topics at first glance are mutually inclusive, and are not titled so that someone will find them through browsing or searching.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:50 am
Profile YIM

Give control over actors taking cover or not!

Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:24 am

Correction; Actor on Sentry AI mode shouldn't fall over.
And they should notice things more often.
I can be above some coalition soldiers and they'll totally ignore a magazine dropping down.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:46 am
Profile WWW

ProjektTHOR wrote:
Why do we need this thread when we already have the DEVELOPERS WANT YOUR INPUT thread?

Edit: Okay so the other one is content. Why not make this thread title more descriptive? Initially it seems you were just asking for generic input. Both of those threads need new titles.

The content one should say "Devs want your input on content" and this one should say something akin to "Devs want your input on modding functionality."

The topics at first glance are mutually inclusive, and are not titled so that someone will find them through browsing or searching.

Either way, weasel combs the other thread thoroughly enough that there shouldn't be a need to categorize suggestions. I already see one post here asking for something which weasel had already told said user would be addressed in the other thread.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:44 am
Profile YIM

I think this is an excellent place to discuss ideas for me to suggest to Data

buuuut

if you actually want me to take things to data I suggest you send them in Monday Mailbag format to andy@datarealms.com

which might very well kill this thread, but I've already got about 60 questions there and I prioritize by the number of times each issue has been asked.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:53 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

be nice if you would make those numbers public.

other than that, making children of children of objects that are set to not hit something not hit the original object would be good. see: emitters that emit emitters as weapons still killing you -> destroyer cannon.
ie bool inheritparent variable.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:36 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next