View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 8:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Announcing mechwarrior mod! 

Post Re: Announcing mechwarrior mod!
I like the guns you've produced, I cannot wait to try them on a mech. Especially if you get to use multiple at once.

Also, as I had to read that whole steaming pile above, I want to point out that A) Even an extension cord can get quite hot, I've burned myself on a vacuum cleaner's ceble, and B) Lasers, especially Solid State lasers (like the one in my lab's cutter) will get very hot. There is a large amount of waste energy disposed of in the form of heat, and the greater the power of the output, the greater the waste. It is entirely possible that a mech could not get rid of the heat fast enough to maintain operating conditions for the laser. Hell, I don't think it could ever power such a powerful pulse anyway, the kind of levels we're talking about here are the kind that barely fit on 737s. (They don't have nuclear cores, but still.)

Goodness knows the lab laser has enough issues overheating as it is, and that's only a 45W IR laser.
I will probably address this someday, though currently that would void the warranty.
ITT, people who have not gotten to play with real lasers fuel flamewar.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:25 am
Banned

The issue has absolutely nothing to do with lasers. It's about electrical engineering. You're not cool because you're some kind of irl scientist (in all actuality you are probably just an undergraduate assistant, but thats okay, we can be whoever we want to be on the internet).

To address the question a couple posts back regarding simulating heat: I am a total scrub at this whole Lua thing with regards to this game, but would it be that out of the question to have a CoreHeat() function? Here's some pseudo-code

function corestatus() :

temp += temp + weapon heat generating coefficient
if temp > some integer :
for a ~= time in seconds, incremented by 1s, starting at zero :
disable unit
;
;
:

that looks awful, but all i am trying to say is that it cant be that difficult to create a lua function that increments an integer whenever a weapon is fired. when the integer reaches a certain point, activate a timer and disable the unit. once that timer is completed, re-enable the unit, and zero out the integer representing core temperature.

i guess the harder task would be to visualize this data. is there a way to utilize Lua to create some kind of visible HUD item or icon? i do not know htese things, but this is my layman's explanation

Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:45 pm
Profile YIM
happy carebear mom

I imagine (if p3l would let me/us) that we can simply take his ammo counter, butcher it for it's display, and use something like that.

EDIT: Oh, still looking for mech spriter. Yeah, I'm not going be to able to make a mech, even if I can barely make some weapons :lol:
DOUBLE EDIT: Ok, I might have one, maybe two people working on more mechs. Feel free to contribute, but I believe the sprite crisis is over for now.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:02 pm

To the people out there who asked how guns can create heat, multiple things happen when you fire a gun in a mech besides the simple trigger pull.

For autocannons you have the mechanical fire Assembly itself taking up power, the recoil causes the mechs chassis to move and cause the muscle system of the mech to compensate for it, this takes power, and thusly generates heat from the reactor .

you have the gyro, the myomer fiber muscles, the guns mechanical parts for automatic fire, recoil stabilization and aim systems to keep the arm on target after each shot.

It should HOWEVER take less power then beams, as even with all of that causing a power drain, its nowhere near that of a light laser in terms of power, which uses things in the area of 5 to 10 gigawatts of power :-(

but anyway i had to register to tell you guys that, nobody seemed to reply to it so i might as well :P

Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:13 pm

http://filesmelt.com/downloader/Mechwar ... _.03a_.rar

Very VERY rough model, sprites done by me ( I only started spriting yesterday ) Walkpaths and well, everything else done by Duh102, support given by Metal Meltdown.

Preview Gif: (is meant to be blood asp, but is rough).

Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:07 pm
Banned

Ok, so we've settled on a partial list of 'Mechs. We just need your opinion on sprite style.
Here's an (extremely) rough version of a Mad Cat torso.

Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:48 am
Profile YIM

Mmmmmm. Arguments. Especially ones that end up more interesting then the mod itself that needs criticism. And to think it all started over how a mech becomes overheated all-around!*Belly-rub*

I second Alzarii. I must beg for sum delicious BloodAsp. It is one of my favorite, if not THEE favorite, Mech in the whole game. Could we also be given an idea of what other mechs to expect, too? In the mean time, YGMDL, and soon criticism to follow once I do a crash-course. :D

Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:38 pm

Planned are the Blood Asp, The Atlas, the Raven, the Mad Cat, the Catapult and the Longbow, possibly more I believe.

Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:59 pm
Banned

Fafnir, Bushwacker, Mad Cat MK2. Also, the arm-crawling one you mentioned.

Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:01 pm
Profile YIM

Download link its... corrupted or something like that, it stops at 75%
I wish to help in this one...

Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:30 pm
happy carebear mom

Attachment:
Mechwarrior.rte v0.03a.rar [157.57 KiB]
Downloaded 209 times

Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:40 pm

Duh102 wrote:
Attachment:
Mechwarrior.rte v0.03a.rar

thanks duh, I gonna take a look to sprites :wink:

Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:43 pm

I've not reach too much, modified version of Metal MeltaDown.

Anyway, leave me to say, if you feel lucky perhaps you can try to
fit a goblin inside so forget about this 90 tons description :lol:

Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:10 pm

I now feel insignificant, thanks.

Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:37 pm

Deltaflyer wrote:

I now feel insignificant, thanks.

Don't worry, I know this feeling, when I was learning to sprite,
I've seen a lot of work of Ivan and Ork gothic (gods of sprite)
just don't compare, do your best, and then improve&improve...

Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next