View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Terraria Style Water. 

Post Terraria Style Water.
If any of you have played the Game Called "Terraria" you may known what i'm talking about, because in this game the water behaves in a rather good way i've seen this in other games before it but this has to be the best mock up of it.

And i'm requesting someone makes water that behaves in the same fashion.

Fri May 27, 2011 10:23 am
happy carebear mom

Post Re: Terraria Style Water.
Just a word to temper your optimism: Terraria works on a tile system, as does their water, so it wouldn't work too well for Cortex which has a per-pixel system.

Fri May 27, 2011 11:12 am

First my Optimism is can never be stopped.
Seconded. Per Pixel you say? can't someone make water act in somewhat to the block base system just more realist then? say like if the ground where the lake is broken the water runs down the hill at a 3x1 pixel alway the way down untill it hits an area where it builds up into a new lake?

Fri May 27, 2011 11:29 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

For your optimism to work, you'll also need someone to make it.
Which very rarely happens btw.

Fri May 27, 2011 12:58 pm
happy carebear mom

Sims_Doc wrote:
Per Pixel you say? can't someone make water act in somewhat to the block base system just more realist then?

Is it possible? Yes. Will it work in any appreciable amount? No.
It works on the block system without too much lag because the amount of water updates are capped by the engine to not cause slowdown, and the granularity of the system is very coarse. This is why I become rather annoyed with Terraria at times because my water refuses to move down and drown the lava under me, causing me to die while it's working it's way through things. CC has no such limiting system, and a much finer granularity of particles, meaning many more calculations per screen size on top of the already hefty calculations needed for base Cortex.

Fri May 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Just to clarify, by "granulation" Duh means that there are way more tiles (or in cortex command's case, pixels) in Cortex Command than Terraria, meaning a system that works with "tiles" like Terraria would have to be very large and slow.

Basically, Cortex Command has a higher tile resolution ("tiles" are one pixel large as opposed to eight), so Terraria-esque water would be slower in Cortex Command.

That is, slower to the point where Cortex Command would likely slow to a crawl.

Fri May 27, 2011 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
happy carebear mom

Or more likely, crash and burn.

Fri May 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Well then since from what you say it will crash. i suggest this someone creates a sample code for water which the strong coders of the forum can edit and general get water working.

Sat May 28, 2011 3:08 am

i suggest you contribute to the community in some way yourself

Sat May 28, 2011 3:20 am
DRLGrump

Contrary wrote:
i suggest you contribute to the community in some way yourself

QFT.
You're not going to get much accomplished if all you do is ask others to work on your supposed good ideas. Maybe try writing the code yourself, and see if anyone else wants to help you, or troubleshoot with you, or something. Just about anything is better than "Hey guise, I've got this good idea, someone make it work in reality."
Also, you're stupid.

Sat May 28, 2011 3:26 am

For me to created the code i've explane that would require me to learn "Lua" and i just don't have the time for that maby next year. but not now. and second isn't this supposed to be a friendly forum community?

Sun May 29, 2011 5:44 am

Sims_Doc wrote:
For me to created the code i've explane that would require me to learn "Lua" and i just don't have the time for that maby next year. but not now. and second isn't this supposed to be a friendly forum community?

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

But people generally dislike those people who ask for things and dont contribute anything in it's production besides the 'idea'.

Think of it like you were an inventor, but people asks you to make a time machine or some other obscure machine and they didn't provide anything to it's production - in this case, likely money.

Sun May 29, 2011 5:47 am
DRLGrump

Sims_Doc wrote:
friendly forum community?

It is. If you'd asked that question a year or two ago, you'd be sitting in a room crying. We're relatively friendly, but we don't put up with too much bull♥♥♥♥. If you don't have time to learn Lua and help, then maybe you should come up with some other way of contributing before making inane requests.

Sun May 29, 2011 7:09 am

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=18024

Chunking it might make dynamic water possible but it'll very likely never work "well". Other possibilities include basing it on mass and increasing the mass of one particle while removing another whenever two water particles come within 2 pixels of each other, which should theoretically cut down on double ups without screwing with the fidelity that much.

It'd also be nice if miles' post in the last page of that thread was edited to indicate that it's false, as he claims the particles don't repel each other - which is the whole point of the script.

Anyway yeah no I'd love water as much as the next guy but unless data implements MOFluidPixel as an extension of MOPixel and writes some fluid sim code on the C++ side of things it'll never work quickly enough to be much fun.

Oh yeah also - Sims_Doc there's very few characters that developers dislike more than the "Ideas man". Contributing "COOL IDEAS" and "RADICAL FEATURE CONCEPTS" to a community often just adds more (potentially unaccomplishable) tasks to the requests list.
Without a knowledge of what can be done and what cant (in this case the implementation of water is limited by a pretty core algorithmic constraint - intractability) you can't even make reasonable requests. Even if you don't want to learn Lua (a damn simple language intended to be as easy to pick up and use as a scripting language can be) you need to do some reading and teach yourself what a reasonable request is comprised of, and what an unreasonable request is comprised of.

As even the reasonable requests (like "can someone turn this fully animated in palette sprite sheet into an actor for me?") don't often get completed, you're just setting yourself up for a lot of disappointment - as well as tempting any grumpy knowledgeable person to kick you in the head.

Sun May 29, 2011 7:50 am
Profile WWW

Ah, Thank you Geti. for giving me the infomation need to kill any intressed in this topic. Dynamic Water in Cortex Command Not Possible.

Sun May 29, 2011 8:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next