View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Use of attachables 

Post Use of attachables
I was wondering, before I make a start on a possible mod, to what extent can attachables be used as armour? Similar to the coalition clones helmet but all over...

Here's a very very rough sketch to try and illustrate what im thinking, would it be possible?

*edit* whoops, this probably should be in general mod making, not requests, apologies

Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:15 am

Post Re: Use of attachables
Yeah, that's what attachables are. Things that are attachable. Check out the Coalition Heavy and his chest plate, only repicate it for other parts of the body. I don't know about the arms though, it might get tricky to attach them there.

Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:25 am
Profile WWW

Attachables on arms don't attach correctly, they rotate with the head (I think it's because the same code used to line up where your gun is pointing affects all attachables <_<).

Leg ones are hard to line up, but do work (see: asplode corp).

Your best bet is with the head and torso, and just to have some cool wounds on the limbs,

Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:35 am
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Cool drawing. I'm sure I've seen that dude before... where is it from? Or you invented him?

Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:54 am

I was more asking about to what extent attachables can be used, such as on legs and arms. May I ask what you meant by "cool wounds"?

And I just made it up to demonstrate my idea, thanks though :)

Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:56 pm

Attachables:
  • Can't be used effectively on arms. They will attach, they just rotate to the same angle as the head at all times
  • Can be used on legs, but it's fairly difficult to get them to align correctly. Look at the code for the more recent asplode corp's oyster.
  • Can be used on anything else with relative ease.

Cool wounds refers to wounds that:
  • Provide interesting effects, to convey visual damage to the player in a fun way (animated, dramatic MOSPs work nicely, as well as particles that remain behind physically like the vanilla "micro" particles work well. A nice wound flash does wonders)
  • Don't overuse particles, keeping framerates up on slower machines.
  • Have a fairly small but descriptive wound sprite to show where the unit was hit after the carnage has subsided. 5x5 pixels works well for medium sized wounds, 8x8 for massive trauma and 3x3 for smaller injuries, depending on what you want to describe.
Essentially, if you can't afford or can't use attachables (for arms or whatever) adding some physical particles (Gib Metal Grey Micro and Rust, some smoke and some sparks on a robot's arm exit wounds, for example) makes the unit a lot more interesting to shoot; just don't go overboard or shooting your robot will start making the game lag on older boxes.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:28 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]