View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:36 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 LIMITED AMMO 

Post LIMITED AMMO
Ok so the idea is fairly simple yet it may be challenging to make, seriously.

Yes limited ammo may seem ridiculous at first glance but when you start to think about it you realize not only the strategic aspect it may bring into the game but also the game play enhancement.

Let me explain:
When playing multi player having you or your friend run out of ammo can be both exciting and game play enhancing in a tactical way. I'm sure you can figure out by your self why.

Even in single player and especially in campaign using your weapons wisely will not only give players a sense of value toward the weapons they carry but also a sense of strategic planning which will be required in order to complete the tasks ahead of them.

Oh and it will give meaning to the numerous random weapons lying among the ruins of the fallen, because suddenly one of those weapons may just save your life... once you've run out of ammo.

This should be able to be turned on or off, there are uses for limitless ammo (game play orientated).

Specifications:
-should have a magazine counter (remaining magazines in your possession) somewhere above your dudes head.

-A way to buy or retain ammunition (in form of magazines).

-Weapons will all have a standard amount of mags included with the gun when bought.

To conclude, this should be tricky to make but if you do manage to carry this through you would be giving allot of members on this forum a new reason to play cc again, because this time it won't just be another mod this time it will be an enhancement in the game play of cc (something most of us are longing for at the moment).

all the best for the one who is prepared to take up the challenge

Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:11 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Post Re: LIMITED AMMO
Your gun breaking is essentially you running out of ammo.
Though, it would be pretty neat to have some guns with limited ammo, then ammo crates one can resupply with.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:18 pm

i think geti was doing this for zombies 10'

EDIT: yep

Quote:
and I'm liking going to introduce an ammo system for the guns. It doesn't have much back story, but the focus will be on producing a solid scripted mission with waves of zombies and maybe reinforcement air drops ("oh noes, running out of ammo" is a problem in a game that doesn't support melee combat)

original page, round the bottom viewtopic.php?f=61&t=15684&hilit=zombies+09%3B%27&start=510

Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:19 pm

Lizard wrote:
Your gun breaking is essentially you running out of ammo.

Yup but that still doesn't support all the other points I made for example having value for every shot you fire... ect.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:48 pm

Every shot you fire brings you closer to a period of time when you are completely vulnerable or otherwise forced to dispose of a weapon which may benefit your enemy directly.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:57 pm
Profile WWW

Exactly, remember your enemy will be under the same limitations and you'll most probably switch this off when your doing normal skirmish because the AI keep getting fresh supply so it would be unfair unless you'd like the challenge.
On top of that is the fact that this mod would be put to best use during a multilayer p vs p gunfight.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:19 am

Except my sentence refers to what happens in the game already.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:15 am
Profile WWW

I understand.
Will cave cricket be able to make this mod?

Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:15 pm

He hasn't made any indication that he will at all and this thread's discussion hasn't presented a really good reason to make it. So indications point to no.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:51 pm
Profile WWW

Why don't you cannibalize that Vtol limiter ammo script?
I remember it was well-polished and frustrating...

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:26 pm

@unwoundpath: jesus looks like that was late at night from all the typos :P
I'd love to make this but currently it's not entirely feasible considering how limited my access is to CC. Cricket would probably be able to pull a global script out of his ass in a matter of days though, if you asked nicely.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:57 am
Profile WWW

This is not a new idea, and has been discussed before.

A main problem I can see is that most people would only toss away empty weapons, so the notion that weapons lying around could save your life isn't exactly true. And any unused weapons would probably be crushed by the dead, flailing body of your enemy.

So unless there are random ammo packs lying around (probably not, since they have to be exactly the right magazine for your gun, etc.) then this basically limits your soldier's effectiveness, since they just plain can't do anything after their guns run out.

Making lua for this kind of mod would be difficult. You'd need to do some hackish thing to make every gun come with four magazines or something like that (I don't know how that would even be done). But assuming that goes through, then we can consider buying new magazines. How would this work? Would you order a crate that dropped down magazines, and have to grab them, or would they teleport to you? Or would there be some other entirely different way?

As far as buying magazines from crates, that's possible but extremely inconvenient. Maybe this is the point, but you'd need to make a magazine for every gun. A way to bypass this might be to just have a MAGAZINE thing that you buy, and when you grab it it just automatically recharges your gun, and charges you money, maybe the cost of the weapon divided by some number. Still, then, what weapon gets a magazine? The one being held? That could end up being a pain.

As far as ordering the magazine and having it teleport to you, I'm not sure you would want this as I guess it takes away the whole limiting factor of having to run back for ammo (Which I don't get but it's your game) but I'm not sure how the game would know who to give the magazines to.

As far as pressing a button or something to give your currently held weapon some ammo, that might be possible but isn't very limiting, it basically just makes guns more expensive.

*insert other ideas here that I didn't think of*

Also, just to explain, the current reason (excuse) for infinite ammo is that Tradestar provides FREE AMMO with any gun you buy, which is teleported down to you ASAP.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:55 pm
Profile WWW

And all this has to be done under the currently incredibly tedious dealings with guns counting as attachables while being held as well as similarly difficult dealings with inventory.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:02 pm
Profile WWW

*Thinks for about this for about 5 minutes

Yeah I got it all figured out. Not that hard.

You might see something like this in the near future.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:00 pm

:grin: hahaha i knew he could do it ill be watching out for it then. Thanks now this topic can be thrown away.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:18 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next