View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 6:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Grif Mod Review Service 
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Post Grif Mod Review Service
Give me a mod, I'll give you a review.

You have three sets of options:
Brutally honest or Honest
Short review or long review
Public or private

Ultimate goal: impressing me.

Premade mods or new mods graciously accepted. I don't care if it's your first or your fifteenth.

EDIT: Posting links to your mods is just great, thanks.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:16 am

Post Re: Grif Mod Review Service
You don't post in my mod topics very often, so I would like you to review my Gravity Guns, just for your opinion.
Brutally honest, and long review.
Public, I guess.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:41 am

WWM.
Brutally honest.
Long.
Public.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:56 am

Bubbles
Honest
Short review (For a small mod)
Public

Stamper
Brutally Honest (I'm actually *coughmakinganewversioncough* so I would like some feedback)
Long review
Public

Oil Faction
Honest
Short review (Just curious on your opinion)
Public

That oughta keep you busy.

Last edited by CrazyMLC on Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:08 am
Profile WWW
REAL AMERICAN HERO

CaveCricket:

You're too prolific for me to post in all your topics. I do almost universally download those mods of yours that I do download.

I have not used your Gravity Guns before; I very seldom download mods, and it's nothing personal. But, again, I do typically enjoy your mods, and they're well coded and made.

That said:
So, I can see what's "fun" about the gravity guns. You get to launch stuff, and lots of it, and just about anything. It's like the particle accelerator, but with instant gratification (not to denigrate the work that went into either mod).

The Gravity Guns work, in a simple execution of a complicated concept that ends up remarkably true to the original. Point and suck, release and OH GOD PHYSICS all over someone's face. Launching people's heads at them is positively delightful.

Yet, it lacks something. I can't fully define it, but there's an element of weightiness that's lacking. Any object I suck up feels the same to me, despite the fact that you're likely running a whole host of maths behind the scenes to make everything scale to (most likely) mass. That's a shame, but that's just the impression you get. The guns are still fun, but there's nothing dramatic to seperate them.

The Mod Chip deserves special mention, because it's one of the cooler uses of screen text that anyone's yet come up with. I do wish you could hold L/R and have it continuously raise/lower a value. But, no matter. It's eminently functional, and does EXACTLY what it says on the tin. Kudos for that little piece of brilliance.

The Phys Gun is a bit of an oddity. I enjoy, rather a lot, the ability to pick up anything from anywhere and move it somewhere else. I do miss having any inertia behind my physgun tosses; 'twas one of my favorite activities with the garry'smod physgun. Through no fault of your own, actors often teleport through each other without the drastic gibbing that I'd hoped for. I'd almost prefer a super-tight proximity trigger. But alas, it is what it is.

Overall verdict: Your coding (ini and lua), your spriting, the sounds, the effects, basically everything about the mod (really, all your mods) is completely up to par. Yet, somehow, it feels like the compromises you had to make because of the limitations of control schemes, etc, got in the way of making the mod as fun as it could be.

I'd give you between a 7 and an 8 for the mod. It's fantastically polished, yet feels like it's missing some of the soul. Keep up the good work, though.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:09 am

This is looking good. I wonder why nobody ever made a mod review service before...

You know Grif, you're the man for the job. You're good at analyzing and you're very blunt, which are the two qualities any critic needs!

Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:43 am
Profile WWW

For some reason, I find it amusing that you said that the mod "feels like it's missing some of the soul" when some people kind of think of me as a mod "factory". Thanks for the review, and like CrazyMLC said
CrazyMLC wrote:
You know Grif, you're the man for the job. You're good at analyzing and you're very blunt, which are the two qualities any critic needs!

Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:47 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

CrazyMLC:
Bubbles:
What can I really say here? It's a mod, with exploding bubbles, and a heavy dose of air resistance. The novelty wears off rather rapidly, but, y'know, it is what it is, and it doesn't try to be much more than it is. Reminds me a bit of LordTim's squirt guns; not for the aquatic basis, but for the style and tone. I like that it doesn't try to be anything more than it is, and it's pretty honest with itself.

Stamper:
This mod is everything I didn't like about the Gravity Guns turned on its head and distilled into the physics-abusing body-exploding goodness that is CC's main selling point.

I can remember when this mod first came out, and it fits a role that CC will always need, and it still fits that role to this day.

I like the Stamper more than the Bubbles, primarily because of the more direct user-to-carnage relationship.

Both are perfectly good mods; not quite great, but definitely not terrible, and better than decent.

Say a 5 on Bubbles and 6-7 range on Stamper.

Oil Faction and WWM reviews coming...sometime. Factions are a bit more complicated to really get a feel for, and I don't think y'all are interested in bug reports as much as my honest opinion of something. So I'm trying to focus on that, more than specific aspects of anything.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:12 am

Grif wrote:
Oil Faction and WWM reviews coming...sometime. Factions are a bit more complicated to really get a feel for, and I don't think y'all are interested in bug reports as much as my honest opinion of something. So I'm trying to focus on that, more than specific aspects of anything.

I'm well aware that quite a few things in WWM are quite buggy... ♥♥♥♥, I don't even think I've finalized half the stuff in there. Most of it could use a good amount of work.
Be as harsh as you want, point out anything and everything, and don't hold back.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:21 am

Crystals

Brutally honest
Long

Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:34 pm

I'd like a review on MDC.
Make it brutally honest, long and private (Edit: What the? I don't recall asking it to be a private one... Maybe i'm just tired. Make it public.)

I need some hardcore feedback so I can improve the thing.

Last edited by MaximDude on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:25 pm

Gonna PM ye a little WIP of mine, mr. Grif.

Now, I don't want you to be just "brutally honest". I want you to be viciosly, mutilatingly and brainsplatteringly honest. If you find the tinyest of mistakes, feel free to insult it, kill it and spit on the corpse. It is the first mod I'm seriously putting my time and effort into, and I want it to be perfect, even if it costs my life. (Ok, maybe not my life, but still.)

Also, long. As long as possible, if you will. I hunger for detailed information on each and every aspect of it, if it's not too much work. (Well, it is a ton of work, but... :roll: ) I'd also ask you to keep it private, I don't want to spoil the surprise for the other forumites. :P

(Also, big props for starting this service. Seems mighty useful, if you ask me.)

Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:21 pm
Profile WWW
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Mighty useful it may be, but a more serious investment of my time than I was originally planning.

But! I shall simply have to rise to the challenge.

Just kinda wish people would stop posting so many damn factions.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:34 pm

Feel free to ignore the Oil Faction.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:39 pm
Profile WWW

I think you are going to get swamped very quickly.
Dirt Modules
Brutally honest, short (unless you have a lot to say), and public.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:37 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next