View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 8:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Tired of Failed Attempts at Burst Fire. Help Me? 

Post Tired of Failed Attempts at Burst Fire. Help Me?
I've been trying for a while now, and have even checked out and downloaded any examples I could find to help me out, but all I have found so far is that you have to "trick" the gun into emitting 2nd and 3rd particles by making bullets come out of gibbing and hit emitters... There must be a better way! Is there some command that is little-known or something that could work? I was hopeful for a while with some of the Burst commands, but that "burst" is really a blast, imo. Are the options really limited to just full auto or semi? :roll:

Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:23 am

Post Re: Tired of Failed Attempts at Burst Fire. Help Me?
Do you want to use pure CC INI, or Lua scripting?
I can think of a few ways it could be done using scripting, so I am fairly certain someone can help you use that sort of thing.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:14 am

I really don't have a preference, as long as it solves the problem. I draw a blank when it comes to Lua as of yet, but I'm willing to learn. I'd be interested to hear all of what you know. Links to the ini files would be sufficient, since I can backwards-engineer effectively, but Lua might require some explanation :oops:

Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:48 am

This can't be done with .ini as far as I've tried, but I think cricket did a script for it at some point, try searching for it.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:21 am
Profile WWW

Azukki managed to make a fairly convincing .ini only one with some fiddling with an attachable and wounds.
What it did was have an attachable in front of the barrel of the gun. The gun fired a particle which made a wound which emitted three bullets on a short delay. Problems were that anyone shooting the gun would cause the burst, it displayed an ammocount of ten whilst firing three bullets a shot and that the recoil wasn't any different to firing a single bullet at a time.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:03 am
Profile WWW

With ini you can add a low rate of fire and make one round fires many particles , or you can do this with lua , but this code already exists.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:19 am

But that makes all the bullets fly out at once, which isn't really burst fire.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:24 am
Profile WWW
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Can't one force the actor to fire two more times through Lua or is that just sparklemagic bull♥♥♥♥?

Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:15 pm

There are various ways to do it. Cavecricket did at least one here.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:21 pm
Profile WWW

Geti wrote:
This can't be done with .ini as far as I've tried, but I think cricket did a script for it at some point, try searching for it.

Well that was kind of passive aggressive of you wasn't it?...linking me to the search function, even though I said I've already looked everywhere but couldn't find anything. :sad:

411570N3 wrote:
There are various ways to do it. Cavecricket did at least one here.

Now that's how it's done. Constructive effort rather than "You should have searched, n00b" Thanks 411570N3 I'll see if I missed something in the code.

411570N3 wrote:
Azukki managed to make a fairly convincing .ini only one with some fiddling with an attachable and wounds.
What it did was have an attachable in front of the barrel of the gun. The gun fired a particle which made a wound which emitted three bullets on a short delay. Problems were that anyone shooting the gun would cause the burst, it displayed an ammocount of ten whilst firing three bullets a shot and that the recoil wasn't any different to firing a single bullet at a time.

Yea that's the one I mentioned. The M16 mod was actually the last one I toyed with before giving up and posting. It had too many quirks and failures, like the fact that it fired on its own, and sometimes would fire in random directions. I actually thought it was pretty good though, but in the end I wasn't able to successfully make the firing sound sync with the 3 bullets... That and the fact that eventually I want to try to program some realistic recoil (That or recoil that at least decreases accuracy the more bullets are fired) led me to make this post.

On a side note, the code was very short, easy to understand, and effective, so props to Azukki if that was his.

411570N3 wrote:
But that makes all the bullets fly out at once, which isn't really burst fire.

Exactly the problem I've been having.

Hey thanks for all the advice 411570N3. Judging by the number of posts from you, it sounds like you might be looking for effective ways to burst fire too? If I figure anything out you'll be the first I'll let know. I'm always down for collaborative efforts! :wink:

Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:29 pm

I am a big fan of using Lua to find the actor that fired the first bullet (with Lua running on said bullet) and then spawning a particle and passing it the actor. This particle will hopefully not be broken (as if run from the bullet it could), and can remotely call the actor's gun firing a few more times. Or something like that anyway.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:58 pm

Apollon wrote:
Well that was kind of passive aggressive of you wasn't it?...linking me to the search function, even though I said I've already looked everywhere but couldn't find anything. :sad:
Now that's how it's done. Constructive effort rather than "You should have searched, n00b"
Uh, not it wasn't.

I was suggesting you searched because there have been many topics about this, and many people post topics asking for help without searching. As I found this (which has this post, the one Allstone linked for you) on the only page of the search, I figured you might have missed the search page, like many new users have. So how about rather than not searching properly, claiming you searched everywhere, and hoping we'll dredge something up for you, you actually do search everywhere before you make a topic like this.
Worst comes to worst and nothing exists on it we can help you write a script, we're good at that sort of thing, but it's quite annoying when someone drops in requesting help when help already exists in a lovely downloadable package as the second topic returned by an intelligent search. Surely you can understand where I'm coming from at this point?

Also I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't tell me "How it's done", actually. I've been here plenty long enough to know that, sir.

By the way, that said, welcome. It's nice to see someone new and interested in modding, just don't act superior in a request thread.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:35 pm
Profile WWW

Or there's the Lazy cheater way. Make gun have 3 bullet clip. Make gun have small reload time. Done.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:53 am
Profile WWW

I have attempted aswell.. As far as i got was i did manage ot to fire 3 rounds and then stop but there was still unsatisfactory results like the flash wouldn't follow the weapon and just float away. So far it seems that unless you are the absolute GOD of ini coding then Lua is it. Im sure if we all pooled our brains together im sure we could come up with something quite decent though..

Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:27 am

Geti wrote:
I was suggesting you searched because there have been many topics about this, and many people post topics asking for help without searching. As I found this (which has this post, the one Allstone linked for you) on the only page of the search, I figured you might have missed the search page, like many new users have. So how about rather than not searching properly, claiming you searched everywhere, and hoping we'll dredge something up for you, you actually do search everywhere before you make a topic like this.
Worst comes to worst and nothing exists on it we can help you write a script, we're good at that sort of thing, but it's quite annoying when someone drops in requesting help when help already exists in a lovely downloadable package as the second topic returned by an intelligent search. Surely you can understand where I'm coming from at this point?

Also I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't tell me "How it's done", actually. I've been here plenty long enough to know that, sir.

By the way, that said, welcome. It's nice to see someone new and interested in modding, just don't act superior in a request thread.

You're right in everything you've said. I'm sorry. I've been really stressed with finals and this morning when I wrote that I had had only 3 hours of sleep and was impossibly behind schedule. I didn't mean to take it out on you personally, when you were just trying to help.

I look forward to working with-and hopefully learning alot from-you now that I've decided to jump in the modding boat. My hope is to be able to create something fun that no one has seen before... I'm sorry I had to meet you as a cliche arrogant newcomer, won't happen again.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next