View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Large Assualt Mother-Ship 

Post Large Assualt Mother-Ship
New Craft:

Large Assault Mother-ship (think of Independence day)

Mobility:

Should have multiple thrusters on the ship that can be shot down. Losing one thruster should not cause the entire craft to come crashing down. Implement some sort of backup thruster. Mainly the thrusters should move the ship horizontally at a very slow pace. (vertical thrusters should only be used to hover)

Defense:

Destroyable machine gun attachments below the craft that fire at infantry below. (should really be erratic machine gun fire, nothing to precise or over-powered) Two moderate anti-aircraft weapons on the left and right side. I would also suggest some sort of shield but I have yet to see something that could work out the way I imagined. The shield should not be impenetrable and should allow some bullets to go through and after a certain amount of damage dissipate and then regenerate later on.

Here is a link of shields created during a contest mod you might be able to salvage something of use: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15138&hilit=shield+mod+contest

Weapons:

Main Weapon:

Armageddon - hanger doors open and a large blast underneath the mother-ship is projected downwards. The blast should be similar to a mini nuke and be able to penetrate a concrete bunker substantially. Also the gun should take maybe 10 secs to fire and at this point the ship will be very vulnerable. Either make it so that when the hanger door is open that a few hits there with a rocket or some gunfire can destroy the entire ship. (overload) Or when preparing to fire main weapon, all the shields and weapons deactivate. (sitting duck basically) The reload time for this weapon should be LONG!

Secondary Weapon:

Rocket Barrage - small rocket burst that is similar to the Jericho scatter effect without the main rocket. (Moderate reload time)
Drone dispatch - a portion of the ship jettisons off into mid-air and detonates to release 2 or 3 small attack flying drones. (should be very easy to kill, the drones should have a moderate gun though)
Clone dispatch - a portion of the ship jettisons off onto the ground and detonates to release 2 or 3 dummies/soliders/units.

I do realize that this is a very big mod. I would enjoy the task of trying to code it, but I have almost no background in LUA. This is far too advanced for my rudimentary skills at coding. If someone tries to undertake the project I will be happy to test it out or provide more ideas. I understand that some of the listed things above might not be possibly but I was simply listing them as ideas.

Give me some feedback,
Tilus

Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:34 pm

Post Re: Large Assualt Mother-Ship
Here is something similar to what you are asking for. Fixed download at the bottom of the page. link

Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:04 pm

Might I also suggest the Bethesda? Run a search for it. The topic is something along the lines of "Heavy coalition dropship"

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:05 am
Profile WWW

maybe he wants a giant ship so draw a pic to us.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:12 pm

Yes that is kind of what I was looking for except... it needs to be larger.

Furthermore I don't like the design of that ship. I was thinking something a bit more geometrically complex. That ship was essentially an oval.

On another note, it contained the turrets that I was asking for and the main gun at the bottom that was exposed. Now if it could contain the other features as well it would be marvelous. :grin:

Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:32 am

WWM Battle Ship?

Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:43 am
Profile WWW
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

No, op want's a huge-ass ufo.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:20 am

The ships function should be to provide aerial domination over a ground area. I do not want this ship to be so overpowered it destroys everything.

I tried out those mods only moments ago and here is what I think.

Flying Saucer Mod - Not the design I had imagined but the concept for the main gun applies. It shoots below it and is very vulnerable. What I wanted though was a main weapon that did more damage (almost like a mini nuke) and had a LONG reload time (1 min?) I didn't like the turrets attached to the saucer, they were too overpowered.

Bethesda - Loved the Bethesda design. That was along the description I had imagined. The guns on the side were too weak though. They had a very slow rate of fire. Also the assault ship should not have a hanger to deploy units. It's an assault vehicle not a drop-ship.

Battle Ship - No. I did not like it. Way to overpowered for the cost. All it had was a bunch of turrets attached to mow down any enemy in any direction.

My comments - I want this assault ship to have a weakness and not be overpowered. The assault ships' weakness should be air. Maybe 1 or 2 weak anti air guns and 2 or 4 ground turrets (medium rate of fire). I also want to stress that there needs to be some kind of jettison pod that launches some type of combat drones. (ground or air) I really liked the WWM Drop Pod design and maneuverability. I think if you put two of those at 45 degree downward angles of the assault ship it would work nicely to deploy two ground units. There could also be another version of the assault ship that has two pods 45 degree at upward angles that deploy hovering flying drones in mid-air. (relatively weak)

Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:16 am

Let me ask,

Would it be easier if I found a certain weapon from other mods and said I want that for a turret? I'm sure I can dig through the different mods to find the explosions/rate of fire/etc. to match descriptions of the weapons. How hard would it be to modify the mod I wanted to be used?

Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:27 am

tilus wrote:
Let me ask,

Would it be easier if I found a certain weapon from other mods and said I want that for a turret? I'm sure I can dig through the different mods to find the explosions/rate of fire/etc. to match descriptions of the weapons. How hard would it be to modify the mod I wanted to be used?

It's somewhat relatively easy to mix and match some of the stuff you like from the above mods (ask their creator's permission first!). Then you could tweak some of the stuff that you don't like, put on new sprites and sounds, and you could make it. Just be ready to do some hard work in the form of fun experimentation. Failing is okay, as long as you learn some stuff from it.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW

The greatest part of modding is having an epic fail, then to have that epic fail result in something awesome.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:56 am
happy carebear mom

Like putting the wrong number in certain places accidentally.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:19 pm

Or defining something twice without realizing it and making it gib into itself on accident, yeah.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:17 pm

o gawd.
btw, some of my errors have been pretty funny in retrospect, though at the time, they were damn annoying.
like when the first iteration of my force blade made you fly around the map because the partials hit the sword and made it move well you were holding on it. hilarity ensued.

Sat May 01, 2010 4:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]