View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 5 Lua-dense mod suggestions 

Post 5 Lua-dense mod suggestions
These aren't exactly mod requests since they're all pretty complicated to do (and I wouldn't expect someone to do them just for me :P) Anyways, these are leftover suggestions I gave to a certain someone who basically said there was too much Lua involved for him* to do it, so I decided to throw these up in the air and see if anyone wants to give them a shot.

*hurrr that rules out Duh102

PartOfASekritPM wrote:
4 - Taser: This might be a bit of a bigger project. I've never seen a properly done Taser before- Darkstorm had one that fired out little tiny prongs which immobilized enemies about 15 seconds, but I'd love to see a one-shot Taser that sticks to enemies and gives them a good paralyzing shock. Here's an extra feature that I'd like to see, though: the prong stays on the enemies, and by holding down fire at any time after the initial shock, you can deliver more shocks to further cause your victim to flop like a fish. And while this might be going over the top, it would be cool to set a key that causes the Taser to overload and set the enemy on fire with all of the electricity, killing them very quickly. (For Lua references: The Grapple Gun made here stuck to enemies the way I mean, and the current Darkstorm EMP grenades immobilize enemies for a short time.)

5 - Psychic Wave Gun: More Lua goodness! This weapon would fire an invisible particle that doesn't affect terrain but causes an AHuman's or ACrab's head to explode when they're hit by it. The basic concept behind it is telepathic mental waves that overload a clone/robot/crab's brain and cause it to go BOOM. The waves should be able to go through terrain, doors, and actors but they should also have a limited range.

7 - Ghost: This is also probably one of the bigger projects. The Ghost would basically be an invisible actor that can pass through walls/terrain/doors/actors like they're not even there and it also can't be harmed by anything. By hovering next to an actor and hitting Fire, you can mentally hijack/possess them- useful if you hijack some kind of giant enemy actor and use it to slaughter all of their teammates without putting yourself in harm's way. When the possessed actor dies, the Ghost exists the body and looks for a new host. The only way the Ghost can die is if it goes offmap or if it is returned into orbit by a craft. Also, the Ghost should be able to voluntarily exist a body before it dies (and kill the body in the process)

8 - Psychic Wave Bomb: As you could probably guess from my earlier suggestion, this is a device that releases a large amount of Psychic Waves in all directions when detonated, slaughtering all who are nearby.

9 - Quantum Disruptor: Probably impossible to do (or it would take a crapton of Lua code) but this would basically be a rifle that fires a special round which, when it hits an actor, kills the actor by splitting it into pixel-size pieces. Basically, it melts actors. I don't know how hacky this would have to be to work, whether it's relatively simple or what, but eh.

Any takers? (And to the moderation team: If this is in the wrong place, my bad. I just felt it didn't really fit into "Requests" and that Discussion would be a better place for the thread.)

NOTE: If you do decide to make one of these suggestions and release it as a public mod, I'm fine with it as long as I'm credited for the concept. No permission needed etc.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:29 pm

Post Re: 5 Lua-dense mod suggestions
So basically the point of this thread is to showcase all your unimaginative cliched ideas without any sort of consideration for feasibility or how it may be executed?

I guess it's so you can set yourself up to grab as much credit as you can if someone decides to put the work in.

You're not even really asking people to do this- it's pretty much the most pointless thread I've ever seen.

The point you should take away from my little post is that your ideas don't warrant a thread. They hardly warrant a post.

User was warned for this post. This is exactly the kind of bullying we don't want here. - Seraph.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:44 pm

Contrary wrote:
You're not even really asking people to do this- it's pretty much the most pointless thread I've ever seen.

Really?
Ever?

Ever?

OP:
4 is, to my knowledge, pretty difficult, specifically the additional shocks after the prongs have attached to the victim. Aside from that, simple-ish.

5 should also be pretty simple, I'm fairly sure you can check if what the rounds hit has 'head' in the presetname.

7 would be, again, simple enough to hack together from the other possession thing with some distance checks and HitMos = 0, along with some more Lua for the flying.

8 Sounds like a regular bomb with 255,0,255 particles. Eh.

9 I think there was a gun which did something like this in the District 9 pack, but it lagged like a ♥♥♥♥♥. You might look there.

Note: Replace all instances of 'simply' in the above post with 'relatively simple, for the right person, I think.'

Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:38 pm
Profile WWW

Petey: Thanks for the suggestion about the District 9 pack, I'll definitely have to check it out. Oh, and for #8, I probably didn't explain myself correctly- this would essentially be a bomb that emits the same particles as the #5 gun (eg they phase through terrain and doors and only affect actors' heads) but it would still probably be pretty simple. Also, thanks for actually contributing to the thread :P

Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:52 pm
REAL AMERICAN HERO

None of these are really impossible but seven would be hacky to the point of "probably-best-to-avoid-it".

Eight isn't possible in any superb way but is sort of possible.

Although...nah, that wouldn't work.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:11 am

7 was already made in the undead themed contest. It was actually pretty good.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:10 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]