View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Some New sprites 
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Post Some New sprites
Im working on a mod, but I happen to be the worse spriter to have ever walked the earth. Im trying to create a New team, who are a Race of trans-dimensional Aliens, whos home Dimension has no real resource value, and so invaded the CC universe, for gold, which can be transmuted to various other elements using there Tech ( Note to self, use less apostrophes ) . Ive attached the Racial logo incase anyone wants to resprite the logo , Aswell as the dropship and the Brain jar, incase anyone wants to try there hand at them ( Please keep it the same Style ).

All my current sprites are edits of the Default ones, so dont be surprised when you see half a dropship in there, The name of the team, if anyone wants to know, Is The Gluonian Empire. On the Dropship, I only did the hull before realizing Id need help spriting.

Attachments:
File comment: Racial Logo of the Gluonian Empire
ModuleIcon.bmp [1.5 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
File comment: Brain Jar, Of the Gluonian Empire
BrainCaseA000.bmp [1.29 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
File comment: Gib of the Current Brainjar.
BrainGibA.bmp [1.09 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
File comment: The Dropship
HullA.bmp [7.83 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:36 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Some New sprites
How do you think half the people here got good at spriting?

Practice makes perfect.
How else could Lafe get good(ish) at spriting? Just kidding. =P
Don't ask other people to do your work for you, even if you are bad at it.
You'll get better if you try to do things for yourself.

Anyhow, enough 'sage' advice, I'll be blunt, those are horrible.
People usually frown on re-sprites unless you spend a lot of time on them.

Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:57 pm
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Id try and sprite them myself, but the problems are I can forsee people will complain about the Extremely poor sprites, which itself is Demoralising. Another problem is when I look at other peoples sprites to try and learn how to sprite, I dont know where to start and feel...Terrible for not being able to effectively sprite.

Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:06 pm
Profile WWW
Banned

Tweak, tweak, tweak. Then tweak some more, until you're satisfied with the result. That, or the easy way out.

Last edited by Metal Meltdown on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Profile YIM
happy carebear mom

Look for a teacher then, or post in mod making asking for tips and critiques. You will get criticism, but on the other hand giving up on spriting isn't such a great goal either (says the one who can't sprite worth my life either).

Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:12 pm

Now, I'm no expert, but I have a few reccomendations. First off, get GraphicsGale, it's a very good program for spriting. I also reccomend you draw out sketches of what you want things to look like, and refer to them often. Finally, don't do reprites, I just put a normal sprite from, say, a browncoat arm next to my work area, and use it to scale and such, but don't just sprite over vanilla stuff. I think these things are helpful, but once again, I'm no expert.

Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:30 pm

caekdaemon wrote:
Id try and sprite them myself, but the problems are I can forsee people will complain about the Extremely poor sprites, which itself is Demoralising. Another problem is when I look at other peoples sprites to try and learn how to sprite, I dont know where to start and feel...Terrible for not being able to effectively sprite.

How I do it is I look at it at a normal resolution, then looks for parts that I like, then I zoom in, and see how they did it.

EDIT: You see the link to 'Pixelation' in my signature? Click it, there are some good pixel artist there for you to study.

Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:31 pm
Profile WWW
Banned

Benpasko wrote:
don't just sprite over vanilla stuff

Why not? Using a vanilla sprite as a base can result in something great.

Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:33 pm
Profile YIM

Benpasko wrote:
Now, I'm no expert, but I have a few reccomendations. First off, get GraphicsGale, it's a very good program for spriting. I also reccomend you draw out sketches of what you want things to look like, and refer to them often. Finally, don't do reprites, I just put a normal sprite from, say, a browncoat arm next to my work area, and use it to scale and such, but don't just sprite over vanilla stuff. I think these things are helpful, but once again, I'm no expert.

MSPaint is perfectly fine, I use it personally, but GraphicsGale is a pretty good program. It is best to sketch out your sprites before you make them.

Resprites make things easy. As long as you make it so that it doesn't resemble the original, then you're good. (I always use vanilla sprites as bases.)
But don't just put a few pixels here and there, or recolor it.

Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:38 pm
Profile WWW

CrazyMLC wrote:
Benpasko wrote:

MSPaint is perfectly fine, I use it personally, but GraphicsGale is a pretty good program. It is best to sketch out your sprites before you make them.

Resprites make things easy. As long as you make it so that it doesn't resemble the original, then you're good. (I always use vanilla sprites as bases.)
But don't just put a few pixels here and there, or recolor it.

Yeah, I prefer not to work on top of vanilla sprites, because they can lead to me not changing it enough, and ending up with a half-assed resprite.

Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:21 pm

Its ok, I/m bad to but its getting better.
If you want you should start with lafe level spriting
After awhile, you might sprite as good as Whitty, or Darlos09

Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:01 am

CrazyMLC wrote:
EDIT: You see the link to 'Pixelation' in my signature? Click it, there are some good pixel artist there for you to study.

Just a little... well... big, quote from there as an example of some of the little critiques, examples, and tutorials some people give.
(Prom is a member there, too.)

Helm wrote:
Excellent points, supergoat.

Another useful point to be made about bitmap INGAME graphics is that they hardly ever miss an apportunity to pronounce dents and general volumetric shifts on objects, with contrasting highlights. For the longest time when I was starting out with pixel art, since I came from a comic art background where we usually shade from pure white light ( white paper ) to pure dark ( full ink ) I was having trouble convincingly suggesting volumes in pixel art. I did everything right, in theory. The stuff I drew were lightsourced, the colours were ok, the shapes registered well in general. After going back to studying Speedball II and Cadaver and the like, I realized what I was doing wrong, or rather, not doing much of: I was working from a middle shade, towards darkness, and that was it. If there were brighter spots, they were on large areas, where a lot of direct light would hit. I practically had no idea of the power of highlight, especially of the sharp type. A sharp highlight is that which might go two or even more steps up from the body of colour it's highlighting, on colour ramp, and which usually is extra accented by darker pixels than the body of colour around it too.

Let's say I was trying to draw some cracks on a dented metal wall, right? (zoom in on these)

This would be the old helm. Technically, this is not wrong. There's variations of lightness, there's the information that cracks are there, but it looks dull and lifeless. Studying bitmap brothers I understood that anywhere where's an edge, there's highlight! Obivously this has a lot to do with what type of material you're trying to shade, but in pixel art, especially game art, clarity is important, so this effect should be overstressed a bit.

Likeso. For every contour, an edge highlight. But this isn't all I learnt by the bitmap brothers. I also learnt the importance of pushing the contrast far more than you would in other media, to travel the complete range from pure black to pure white. Now, they don't do this as much as I do (my usage has evolved for other reasons to be even more harsh) but the theory's there, and it's more to do with the needs of game art than it's to do with realistic representation of reality. Again, this is about clarity and how fast the eye can proccess information and detail. Where there's EDGE, which in gameplay can possibly mean unreachable area and the like, you need to give the brain the tools to work out what it's looking at fast. So more sharpening and contrast is good.

Another thing that the brothers taught me was the importance of the traditional 75%, 50% and 25% ordered dithers as means to suggest texture and inter-shade buffering. Now my examples use 16 shades of gray which is insanely rich for this sort of stuff, but if I were to use say, 5 shades between black and white, by doing bodies of ordered dither, I would be able to fake and convey both rougher terrain, and more importantly, an extra 5 lightness levels between my original 6, and if I used 25% and 75% patterns, 24 different lightness levels between pure black and pure white, using only 5 colour slots. This is a great strength to have, and the brothers put it to use constantly.

Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:04 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]