View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Incapacitation (Lua) 

Post Incapacitation (Lua)
I'd love to see an Lua script which causes an AHuman actor (Preferably only if organic but there's no way to determine this AFAIK), when injured to a certain extent to be incapacitated. Criteria for incapacitation would be like "Actor is below X hp", or "Actor has sustained Y number of wounds", rather than L4D style 100hp and then incapacitation. When incapcitated, actors should be 'ragdolled', be unable to fire and maybe unselectable. The enemies shouldn't fire at incapacitated soldiers, or if preferable to the modder, prioritize non-incapacitated actors.

This, of course, would require the implementation of some sort of medical functionality into the game. I'm thinking have combat medics who can revive an incapacitated actor, but they still bleed afterwards and have something like X+5 hp upon revival, and can use this time to find medical supplies or be given them.

Then there could be 'Critical incapacitation', where the unit has lost a limb or has sustained Y number of wounds or lost X amount of health (after bleeding). They are unable to be revived and must be extracted by dropship to a 'medical bay'. I'm thinking this could be a long tunnel with walled ends (And one with open or doored ends), and a hole in the ceiling for a dropship to drop a troop in it. Once a unit is placed in that area, they are slowly healed back to full health and their incapacitation is revoked.

There could also be a MEDEVAC dropship, with no armaments (If dropships are to be given weapons in the future, that is). It could instantly stop bleeding and heal a unit to the maximum of X, IE if the unit is critically incapacitated they will be healed but not to the point of revival, but if not critically incapacitated they won't. Also, this would be the only craft able to pick up incapacitated actors, to give it more purpose (Ideally there'd be an attachable Lua script so you can make other MEDEVAC craft).

Also, as for the Combat medics, they should have attached Lua so only they can heal/revive people. They'd have re-purchasable equipment that only they can use. They wouldn't project a heal zone like the medibot. Their equipment would consist of something like the Cauterizer (But with shorter range and be non-reloadable, possibly self-destructing), bandages (To stop bleeding) and an Epinephrine auto-injector (For revival, also single-use). Perhaps these actors could also be immune to incapacitation, or have a line in their script so a user could toggle immunity.

Another idea I just thought of is a pain system. When an actor is injured P number of times or has sustained Q number of wounds, they are in pain. When in pain, the actor moves more slowly, or has their aiming affected when hit in the leg(s)/arm(s) respectively (Or both, if that's too complicated/impossible, and both if hit in the torso). To 'cure' pain, the actor requires morphine, all soldiers could carry and use this (Also the bandages) but the combat medic would start by default with a much more ample supply. The whole pain system, though, isn't much concern to the rest of what I described.

Basically this script would be very useful for powerful actors such as AAL Marines and pilots. It'd make saving them easier and a priority, and break up the gameplay a bit.

Of course the option remains of just ferrying the injured back to the Tradestar to get some cash back but in the long run, this would save more money and be more fun.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:33 pm
Loose Canon

Post Re: Incapacitation (Lua)
This sounds extremely complicated, lagarific, and possibly not feasible. But I like it.
Also, don't just post a wall of text next time. Noone likes to read through a monster like that.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:38 pm
Profile WWW

Well, I can't really articulate my idea in any other way. I could draw pictures but I think the words convey the necessary information.

As for lag, I'm not sure if it would. Wouldn't the Lua only really have any effect on performance when an actor becomes incapacitated? The pain system is entirely optional because I can forsee problems with that becoming more farsical than fun.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:44 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Incapacitation can be done (sort of), but healing wounds simply can't. For those of you more knowledgeable in the field of Sparkle Magic - I've done some testing, and it looks like AEmitter spawned as wounds have no MOID and thus no way of being accessed.
The only real way to ragdoll and actor is to kill them at this point. It's possible the actor could be made to crouch and have its left/right movement disabled, though.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:46 pm
Profile WWW

You can't stop bleeding, stop 'ragdolls' from settling, have buyable weapons restricted to one actor and, clones don't feel pain.

Edit: ninja'd by TLB

Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:47 pm
Profile WWW

I was gonna mention just having them crouch but I figured ne of you would come up with it eventually. As for clones not feeling pain, I guess that's convenient in terms of modding, would shave a bit of time from development. What about wounds? If I remember correctly they can't be removed either, but it'd still be satisfactory even without these functionalities.

The combat medic could have non-buyable equipment added to his inventory on spawn then, and have them be infinite-use if what Roon said is true.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:52 pm

Roon3 wrote:
You can't stop bleeding, stop 'ragdolls' from settling, have buyable weapons restricted to one actor and, clones don't feel pain.

Edit: ninja'd by TLB

Srly?
Yank the inventory from it, recreate, set health.
Limbs can be bypassed simply by changing it to a one time break wound, and detaching the limbs, while lua boosting the parent.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:39 am

Roon3 wrote:
stop 'ragdolls' from settling, have buyable weapons restricted to one actor

My dead, headless Behemoth, blasted up into a rock. Never "settled" so he still animated and his wounds still leak. Not sure it's reproducible though.

And Darlos uses a Lua script to set the Shogun weapons to hitMOs until a Shogun is the closest actor to it, making them pretty much actor exclusive.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:39 am

Mail and LFoW, I thought he meant having the weapons buyable only for the medics.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:54 am
Profile WWW
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Well that's just a case of applying a script to the medics such that only they can "properly use" the healing equipment; anyone can carry it but only they can actually do anything with it.

As for the mod, I'd say the ultimate verdict is: vaguely possible, but I'm not gonna do it for constraints on time, other projects, and an overall lack of interest in the idea.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:58 am

Roon3 wrote:
Mail and LFoW, I thought he meant having the weapons buyable only for the medics.

Parent scan.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:19 am

Um um, this is probably a dumb idea, but I don't think actors "settle" until they hit the ground, so maybe you can make them hover upon death? I'm doubtful you can still recover them though.
Or you could make them drop a "place marker" when incapacitated, and simply spawn another actor when a Medic approaches the place marker.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:43 am

Thing is, wouldn't suspending them above ground mean they have to be pinned? In that case a dropship wouldn't be able to extract them. I'd prefer TLB's suggestion of just disabling their own movement in one way or another and having them stuck crouching, it'd probably mean less work for the modder too.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]