View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Link the Mining Gun with the Concrete Gun 

Post Link the Mining Gun with the Concrete Gun
I always wondered why their weren't any effective gold miners in this game, since I've started playing.

Then I realized, it's probably because since the digging tools destroy matter rather then process and relocate it, what you have is essentially the same as a broken hour glass, theirs never as much matter by the end of the game as their is when you start out.

Essentially what I want to do is link the digger tools with an appropriate spraying weapon that I might be able to give to two separate characters. In that way, I hope to simulate realistic mining operations, with one group in the ground expanding the tunnels while anther group stands above ground dispensing the excess matter over the top soil.

I want to see what kind of emergent game play elements come from this and how it effects the late game terrain.

I'd like these to be new weapons as appose to modifying the originals for obvious reasons.

I can think the code out, I just have no idea how to implement it.

Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:52 pm

Post Re: Link the Mining Gun with the Concrete Gun
For you to get gold, the digger has to "destroy" it so it can be added to your funds.
If you just have it sprayed behind you, all you're doing is moving the mess.

Also, it would be more annoying than it is currently to dig tunnels. If you actually spend time digging, there's already soil that gets loosened and piles up in a new area.

Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:00 pm

digging tools are very clean and effective in Cortex Command. 90% of processed materials get used to power the device via fusion or vapourized.

but i can see where he's getting at, if a war lasted for some time (especially with 2 humans & mods) the terrain gets raped to the point of either you truce and concrete the hell out of everything or you restart. but if the dirt you mined got relocated instead of destroyed (with gold hitting you and getting aquired still) then in effect, the whole map would in theory end up as a really soft-slightly-lower version without gold of its original form.

Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:55 pm

LowestFormOfWit wrote:
For you to get gold, the digger has to "destroy" it so it can be added to your funds.
If you just have it sprayed behind you, all you're doing is moving the mess.

Also, it would be more annoying than it is currently to dig tunnels. If you actually spend time digging, there's already soil that gets loosened and piles up in a new area.

I had a hard time understanding what he said too. I think he meant that a device that is linked to diggers in the map. Whenever you dug onto materials, that devices will spit out that same material on the surface of the ground. Where those stuff can be pick up by dropships to gain funds.

I actually like this idea. It's like bringing back the old digging mechanism, but more convenient. This really will making mining gold a bigger part of gameplay.

And for the terrain rape and gold depletion problems.
Even if this solve terrain rape done by mining(and I don't see how), these will still be terrain rape. Walking, gun fire, bombs, fallen dropships , actor on a shield are the other causes of terrain rape.
Gold depletion...Well, face it. Gold is non-renewable. Though I suggest adding a gold machine to vanilla content, one that generate gold slowly, with limited numbers on the field. Or, other less valuable, renewable resources, which is currently being discussed in the general forums.

Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:09 am

I actually really enjoyed the mining aspect of the game, more so then the abundance of projectile weaponry at my disposal. I didn't really care much about gunning my enemy to death, so the first game I played I ended up selecting the mining tool and using that to burrow underneath players and kill them in that manner.

So for me, Mining was one of the biggest strategic aspects of the game. Mostly because I could see any tactical strategy behind arming people and sending them in battle with albeit clunky AI.

But I could understand waring over resources and posting guards on the surface to protect the miners. That, for some reason, was fun to me.

Ideally, i'd like to have a special Vault building that I could choose when I started the game, one that would look like a missile silo and would be linked with the mining tools. In that way, when I mined gold, the dirt would be filtered and only the gold material would pour in from a device jutting out from the ceiling. That way I had something to protect, and also something to plunder from my enemies.

But that seemed too complicated to request for right off the bat. Which is why I first wanted to know how hard it would be to link two weapons in that manner to begin with.

I kind of want to make a visual aid to show what it is I'm describing, how the whole scenario would look with the miners mining and the sprayers on ground level fortifying the roof of my base with the debris picked up by the miners and the appropriate amount of gold materializing within these Vaults, but I don't know how to make gifs.

Though I gonna check to see if google has any thoughts.

Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:31 am

I think I understand what you're trying to say. Just tell me if I got it completely wrong. If a miner mines regular dirt, then it can be used as ammo for a terrain sprayer, but if it mines gold, then it is automatically sent to a physical storehouse instead of the number in the top left representing the gold you have. That way, enemies can get to your storehouse and steal your gold, giving you another objective than to stay alive.

Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:22 am

What. You can collect gold by making any actor's deepgroup displace it.

Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:35 pm
Profile WWW
Banned

Sixteen wrote:
I think I understand what you're trying to say. Just tell me if I got it completely wrong. If a miner mines regular dirt, then it can be used as ammo for a terrain sprayer, but if it mines gold, then it is automatically sent to a physical storehouse instead of the number in the top left representing the gold you have. That way, enemies can get to your storehouse and steal your gold, giving you another objective than to stay alive.

I don't think that's what he meant, but that's still a novel idea. The only issue I have is that if you are going to go through all that work to steal some niggaz gold, you'd might as well just kill the brain and then loot his base.

So while the idea is theoretically interesting, its still simpler to just infiltrate the base and destroy the brain.

Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:33 pm
Profile YIM

Yeah, I think that it's adding more micromanagement to the process of getting gold, when CC is a little too fast paced for that large of a process.

I'd be more strategically sound to just raid your foe's base for -their- gold, since that's probably all they've had time to do, and the base shouldn't be that well defended.

This does, however, bring up an interesting mission type. I'd totally play a mission where you have to steal an enemy's cache of gold, or disrupt an heavy ingrained mining operation.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:30 am

Sixteen wrote:

This was exactly what I was trying to get at, I only wanted to make a gif of the scenario because I really like the idea of making gifs...

If the storehouse was coded in a manner so that it produced a number of objects, say bars of gold, in accordance with house much you've mined that would be an excellent way of keeping the economy intact, without having to spew gold particles in a room.

I just don't see how the game could keep track of gold particles, but if they were converted to objects it would seem a bit more feasible to me. Especially if they turned back into their base elements when they were destroyed.

LowestFormOfWit wrote:
I'd be more strategically sound to just raid your foe's base for -their- gold, since that's probably all they've had time to do, and the base shouldn't be that well defended.

Generally speaking, that exactly what I want to happen.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:08 am

what would be more interesting was a preset map with two pre built bunkers for two players and a few "neutral" bunkers with generators in them which could be captured and give you gold overtime. i think this would add alot of interesting tactics to the game. there could also be a seperate resource that allows you to buy more powerful weapons and actors.

ok im getting too offtopic.

another idea would be that if a tunnel was left for a very long time it would slowly fill itself in with dirt. this couldnt be that hard to do.

Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]