View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 3:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Actor hit crash 

Post Actor hit crash
Hello.

I have a minor, but still annoying, problem with a actor.

First a bit of background: When the actor is killed by a head gibb it explodes with some 40ish MOPixels (with a ScreenEffect on them), but before I lowered the amont of MOPixels I had some 80ish of them - this made the game crash about 5% of the kills...

Well to the point, Now that there only is 40 MOPixels the game still crashes when the head area is hitted (not gibbing the head) but it happens very rarely about 1 in 2400 hits.

The head on this actor have two pices of armor on it a lower "mask" and a "hood" both attatched to the head with a JointStiffness of 0.1... I don't know if the armor is what takes the hit or the head, when the crash happens.

Well any Ideas of why this is happening?

Thanks in advance!

grammar-nazis make no attempt I am not a native enlish speaker...

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:12 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Post Re: Actor hit crash
A BreakWound on an attachable sometimes cause crashes. Never figured out under what circumstances though.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:12 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
A BreakWound on an attachable sometimes cause crashes. Never figured out under what circumstances though.

Is this true for attachments on the torso (actor) too like a head - or only on attachments on said head?

I had no BreakWounds on the armor as it were... But the head dose have it (and all the other limbs for that matter).

Thanks for the tip though!

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:31 pm

Hmm. What exactly is the error message the game shows when crashing?

Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:19 pm
Profile WWW

Nothing, just the ordinary "the program you were working with crazeaahed lolz - Send?"

No CC error box...

Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:44 pm

That's kinda uncommon. What about the pixels the head gibs into? If they are set to GetHitsByMOs = 1, the game may crash when they are spawned.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:56 pm
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
That's kinda uncommon. What about the pixels the head gibs into? If they are set to GetHitsByMOs = 1, the game may crash when they are spawned.

Yes, they must be, else there would not be much of a "after-the-head-get-gibbed-they-explode-violently,-and-hopefully-kills-whatever-killed-them"...

But After a bit of testing - removing the BreakWound in the head it might have stopped the crashing, but the crash is so uncommon it will take hours of testing :(

EDIT: Also what dose BreakWound really do, I didn't find anyting on the wiki and I did not see any diffrence in preformence on the actor.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:06 pm

BreakWounds are the emitters that appear on an object when an attachable is removed from it. They are also what causes damage from dismemberment. Since heads, however, are hardcoded to kill their parent objects when removed, breakwounds have no practical use on them. (Unless you want it to have fancy bleeding effects, but that's not essential.)

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:48 pm
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
BreakWounds are the emitters that appear on an object when an attachable is removed from it. They are also what causes damage from dismemberment. Since heads, however, are hardcoded to kill their parent objects when removed, breakwounds have no practical use on them. (Unless you want it to have fancy bleeding effects, but that's not essential.)

Oh... So, if this indeed was whas caused the crash (the head breakwound)... It's all good!

The character is a undead, so I guess damage from dismemberment is not that importent anyway - if not to say a good thing.

I'll just keep testing, but I gotta admit it looks good!

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:57 pm

Reporting in on A-members thread.

Anywho, you can avoid the hard coded head-gibbing death by making the head an invisible 'null' object and then attaching the functional head onto that.

Leaving off the breakwound entirely might work for you, but imagine an undead temporarily 'surviving' decapitation with a gory head stump spraying blood everywhere, in a few distinct jets. Might be something you want to consider.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:06 am

Hehe, I notised - It seams that A-named users are the most helpful!

Well That is a very good tip! It'll work fine for my skeleton also, I might just do that.

Thanks!

Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]