View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 3:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Gun mod needed 

Post Gun mod needed
I have been working on making a gun mod, and i could use some help. First of all I'm using the Dummy sniper rifle as a template.
Here's my questions-
How do I adjust the distance of the yellow sight dots? ...

How do I add gibbing to the sniper bullets (for a explosive round effect)?

Can I change the size of the projectile, and if so how?

Can the projectiles explode on impact, and have directional gibbing (small forward spray)?

I would rather not post any code sample if I can help it. I have been playing with the variables, and reading the wiki & forums trying to learn, so any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:41 pm
Forum Moderator

Post Re: Gun mod needed
1. Sharplength controls zooming
2. You have to make the fired projectile a MOSRotating, Actor or AEmitter and then add gibs to one of those. I'd recommend the AEmitter as you can add smoke trails and such that that one
3. You have to make the fired projectile a MOSRotating, MOSParticle, Actor or AEmitter and then change the sprite
4. Yes, you can do that but you will have to fiddle with gib settings and velocities

Best of luck in your endeavor

Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:49 pm

Thank you vary much p3lbox, I look forward to trying all that out when I get home. I'm sure its been done, but the mod I'm working on is a 50 caliber, semi-auto, sniper rifle, that fires explosive rounds.
As you can imagine this is a heavy gun with a lot of kick, and if your not careful you can harm yourself firing it.

Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:42 pm

If you set the spread of the gibbing to 0, would that cause the gibs to explode in the direction the projectile was travelling in? I wish I were confident enough to be sure this was the case, but I can't back it up with anything.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:04 am
happy carebear mom

Ameefmu wrote:
explode in the direction the projectile was travelling in?

This unfortunately does not always work, there's some situations, like when hitting doors, that it actually rebounds. I can't be certain exactly what situations, but it is better than nothing.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:35 am

Thank you p3lb0x, Ameefmu, and Duh102 for your help. I almost have my project done, there's just a few more things I need to work on.

Two of the things I still need to fix are-
My projectile doesn't fire straight, it fires a bit randomly.
The magazine doesn't drop all the way to the ground when its empty.

Also I would like to post my work at some point soon, how do you guys do that?

Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:41 pm
happy carebear mom

To answer your questions in order:

1. Do you have the ParticleSpreadRange in your gun definition set to 0? Are you using some sort of recoil control method that uses Gibbing? Gibbing decreases accuracy.

2. As in it disappears? What exactly happens?

3. The most common and only forum-acceptable method of distribution is to pack up your work into a .rte folder, inside a .zip or .rar file. If you do not know how to make a .rte mod folder, you can see the explanation of the structure of one here on the wiki.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:48 pm

@ Duh102
As for the first thing I don't know, I will have to check after work.

No the magazine lands in mid air somewhere around knee height and stays there.

Lastly once my file is in zip or rar how do I post it here? do I need a host site or can I directly load it like a e-mail.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:41 pm
happy carebear mom

The size of the attachment determines what route you take. If it's under 15MB(?) you can upload it directly here if you want (using the attachment field below the message body in the make new post form). You also have the option to host it elsewhere if you like, no matter the size.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:45 pm

Okay here's a still rough version of the gun i was working on, and a preview of my next project.

Attachments:
File comment: This sprite still needs work
c1-tankA.bmp [2.78 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
File comment: But I think they look alike
c1 concept.jpg [4.6 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:25 pm

I hope this turns out better than the past 3 tries for it.

Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:20 am

In regards to the magazine landing in mid air, did you properly check it's offset? If the game think's the middle of the magazine is located 15 pixels underneath it, once it reaches that point it may stop in mid-air. That's the only possibility I can think of about that.

And about the shots not being fully accurate, when you created the round, did it have a low separation? AFAIK, ParticleSpread and all related variables, control the angle at which the round is fired, whereas Separation controls the number of pixels the round can originate from, if that makes sense. If it has a ParticleSpread of 1 or 90, it'll still fire from the same location, but if it has a Separation of 90 as opposed to 1, it could fire from within 90 pixels to the predefined 'fire point' of the weapon.

Someone tell me if I'm terribly wrong about these things, it's just from trial and error.

Also, if you want your bullet to have a reduced or increased gravity effect, try modifying the GlobalAccScalar variable, placing it underneath the Lifetime variable for the round, it's pretty much a gravity modification. 0 causes the round to float indefinitely in the same direction, at the same speed. 2.0 causes it to drop like a stone and 0.1 helps the projectile fire in a straight line, though it has some issues with impacting against actors sometimes.

Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:39 am
happy carebear mom

Ameefmu wrote:
Separation of 90 as opposed to 1, it could fire from within 90 pixels to the predefined 'fire point' of the weapon.

Separation controls how far laterally it can be spawned from, where SpreadRange is the angle it can be spawned at. If you aim the weapon directly right, separation of 90 would make it spawn the round anywhere from 45 pixels to the left (behind) of the MuzzleOffset to 45 to the right (forward) of it (though it maybe between 0 and 90 in front of it, I'm not certain).

GlobalAccScalar only controls how much gravity affects the projectile, not how well it can hit things.
0.5 GAC is half of scene gravity, 2.0 is twice, 0 is zero, etc.

Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:11 am

Sorry I have been busy at work.

I fixed how accurate the gun fires, and how the clip falls.
my question now is what determines if a gun has kick? and is it possible to get the bullet to penetrate a little before it explodes? and lastly how to minimize the damage to terrain from shells.

I have a new version to share and I will post it soon, thanks again for all your help guys.

Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:17 pm

Wait, you want it to penetrate before exploding but you want the shell to damage the terrain less? I'm not sure what you mean by that... but I have done something similar.

Essentially what I did was make a tracer round which fired near simultaneously with the regular rounds (RateOfFire= something ridiculous). The tracer round was essentially the same as the regular rounds but it didn't explode, instead it was just a big slug round which had just enough sharpness to penetrate most barriers about halfway. The regular rounds were the explosive ones with low Seperation. It worked like a multiple tandem-charge weapon. When fired it was like one big bullet (really multiple bullets with no Spread).

Not sure if this is what you want. There was a problem however, sometimes the tracer round would bounce and the explosive rounds would just slam into the wall or bounce as well. This could be easily fixed I think.

Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next