View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 [QA] Absailing/Suspension 

Post [QA] Absailing/Suspension
This is just a question, not really a request (I'd be delighted if someone DID take it up though).

I seem to have this thing for attention to detail in games. This is reflected in my appreciation of the little mods that help colour in those tiny areas that you wouldn't expect to get any attention. Anyway, without further ado...

How difficult would it be to create a mod (this may include or exclude Lua scripting as necessary) of a deployable rope that an actor could ascend or descend at will. The deploying part could be done using a grenade that sticks to the surface and fires out a rope attached to some form of weight in the X direction that the rope was thrown.

Perhaps if it's not reasonable to determine the direction the rope was thrown, the current direction of the actor may be used (again only if reasonable).

Perhaps the rope could work in a similar way to the lifts bunker modules except activated with key presses and escaped from with another key press? For example - Down is descend, Up is ascend, Double tap Left or Right to disembark rope.

I don't know if this is a reasonable request or absolutely absurd as I cannot gauge it, but it would be nice as there have been instances where I've been stealth invading but fallen down a pit and can't escape because I'm weighed down with equipment that I've had to take with me (grenades, C4, medipaks, weapon and backup weapon and a digger for those awkward terrain issues).

Maybe one day, when I have the time, I will learn how to mod and create all these little things myself.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:32 am

Post Re: [QA] Absailing/Suspension
This may be what you are looking for.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:48 am

Um. It's close, I wanted something that had more life to it though, some physics. I suppose it'll fulfil my needs for now.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:03 am

Yeah, CC isn't quite that advanced yet. I remember when the notion of a collapsible structure was a big deal when deathbringer made it. It still horrendously lagged the game in large numbers, and it only had 6 or so segments. A fluid rope is probably years away.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:49 am

Like this?

In this concept after the weight "detonates" it will attach a rope to the nearest guy around it. The rope will remain climbable after a user has dropped off it. Picking up the yellow "weight" thingy again will reset the rope and you can throw it again.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:54 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

That would be awesome to have in CC.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:48 pm

That's closer, I was thinking that it wouldn't be attached to the actor, but I think your method would be better.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:01 pm

That concept can be used in both helping yourself to move around or alternatively trap an enemy by making the rope hold him until he/it figures out how to break loose.

The rope has a maximum lenght and the yellow thing is a... roll/thread that has the whole rope packed up like so:

When an actor touches the rope while its free, the end of the rope will attach to the actor. The actor can extend or withdraw the rope up the maximum rope length and get off any moment, all with certain key combos.
When a user abandons the rope, it will remain in what length it was and stay that way unless:

a) the roll/thread is destroyed or picked up
b) an actor touches the rope again

And when picked up, the whole device will instantly reset.

I bet this concept is doable and will work great, but it will need some Lua to simulate the rope and its physics. The rope itself could consist of small MOSR rectangles that will form a rope when in line.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:18 pm

Okay, but can the uh roll thing double as a grapple. So it can be attached to ceilings and vertical surfaces. Perhaps have it sort of like a sun shape, where the spikes are what hold it to the surface, of course it's just an atheistic thing but it would be more realistic to have it that way. (Of course it's not actually realistic because it would fall out of the holes.

As for the technical details, I have no idea on the differences between them, but as far as I can figure out, MOSRotating is basically an image that can rotate/has physics.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:50 pm

My last post was sort of a design plan which went over the technical parts of this item and how they could be achieved. If anyone here has free time and knowledge/motivation to pull this off, he can go for it.

As a bonus, I can make some sprites on demand if anyone takes this project.

And yeah, MOSR are exactly what you said.
Btw I like the sun/spiked thread idea, would work great. An alternative can be a sticky/magnetic thing, but the spiked device might look the coolest.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:58 pm

Agreed. It's times like these I wish I had the time and patience to learn Lua. I can sprite and design feasible ideas just not make them.

A secret is I have an over-all idea which fits in all or most of the ideas I have asked about.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]