View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 5:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Mod Contest 5 | Voting open 

Post Re: Mod Contest 5 | Times changed
I'm very, very in.

Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:21 pm
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
I'm in. Been working on this for over 2 weeks, not gonna drop out now.

entry submitted.

Also, to Miles_T3hR4t:

It's basically a bomb with heat-seeking glows right?
There's one guy who posted pics of a heat seeking gatling gun in the epic moments thread. He might be able to help.
I also think that the glows are awesome enough to follow actors, even if there's no damage done.

Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:28 am

DoomTurkey wrote:

Also, to Miles_T3hR4t:

It's basically a bomb with heat-seeking glows right?
There's one guy who posted pics of a heat seeking gatling gun in the epic moments thread. He might be able to help.
I also think that the glows are awesome enough to follow actors, even if there's no damage done.

it wasn't glows, the point was that it would distract all AI controlled actors for both teams and they'd shoot at the ghosts all willie-nilly as if they where a cat chasing a laser-dot into a blender except the laser dot where an exploding ghost and it wasn't heat-seeking, it was heat gravitating in that it wasn't a rocket that had a thruster that turns on or off when its facing the right way and rotates itself to do so but rather that it was some static block that always stayed upright and drifted lazily around until something gets to close, you know sort of like a magnet bomb or a sea mine only this sea mine is a cartoon ghost that amounts to only a few pixels and sends everyones actors rocketing across the map with a resounding 'BOO!'.

Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:39 am
Profile YIM WWW

So glowing a distractor device.

Why not make it heat seeking as long as it isn't 30 pixels or so away from the actor? Then it'll probably work perfectly in that respect.

Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:00 am
Profile WWW

CrazyMLC wrote:
So glowing a distractor device.

Why not make it heat seeking as long as it isn't 30 pixels or so away from the actor? Then it'll probably work perfectly in that respect.

a distractor device was a distraction because it was a TDE, actors always look at an exploded/ing TDE. the glows are just the point of origin for the ghosts, not the distraction itself. the closest we've had is in the Tau conversion that 411570N3, and others have made, and that was the photon grenade. it spawned a pile of lazily drifting about orbs, that the AI would shoot at. not just look, but shoot at and try to kill. Of course they couldn't. As for distance I was gonna go with about 300, a nice hefty distance. since there drifting out from their origin AND too the target, which is the closest actor, and they could easily get stuck in orbit of a dropship or something. as for how it would work, it wasn't really aiming at doing much. it was made to just be annoying to the AI or players that have like 12 actors in play because they can only control 1 at a time. pretty limited use actually.

To me it feels rather un-inventive, which is ironic because we only have one thing that is even that close and it wasn't all that popular either. it feels un-imaginative because it was me wanting to re-do that, and slap a undead theme on it for the contest since I got the idea while reading this. "dude... ghosts... ghosts that fly at you and you shoot, and they don't die... and then they could like... explode... or something..." thats not very creative. I feel dumb for trying to even make it, which is also ironic because you've already taken more interest in my un-used scrapped idea, than anything i've ever taken seriously. this also makes me feel dumb. not like I feel like I am dumb, but rather I have a feeling because of this, and the feeling is dumb, like irony's kid brother or something.

Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:13 am
Profile YIM WWW

More creative than my idea.
*coughbloodsuckingbraineatingzombiecrabscough*

Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:34 am
Profile WWW

CrazyMLC wrote:

didn't valve do that in that one game, what was it called... you run around beating things with a crowbar, namely crabs that turn things to zombies...

My head's just ♥♥♥♥, everything is halflife. even 40K is halflife now... what was I talking about again? zombie goasts? well your idea is automatically better because you'll probably at least finish it.

Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:54 am
Profile YIM WWW
Banned

Miles_T3hR4t wrote:
CrazyMLC wrote:

Headcrabs.

WAT. Headcrabs don't drink blood. Though they *would* be great in this mod contest, MLC can't really make them since he posted that. Also, how the hell can WH40k be Half-Life?

Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:11 am
Profile YIM

Probably wasn't going to make it anyhow, I have another... furtive project I'm really interested/caught up in.

Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:34 am
Profile WWW

Metal Meltdown wrote:
Miles_T3hR4t wrote:
CrazyMLC wrote:

Headcrabs.

WAT. Headcrabs don't drink blood. Though they *would* be great in this mod contest, MLC can't really make them since he posted that. Also, how the hell can WH40k be Half-Life?

I wouldn't call the HL Zombies undead exactly.
All it is a parasite controlling the nervous system of the host, undead insinuates a dead organism being animated again.

Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:57 am
Banned

I never said they are, I just said that the headcrabs don't suck blood. Besides, MLC's post implied zombie crabs, i.e. crabs that are themselves zombies.

Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:01 am
Profile YIM

Metal Meltdown wrote:
I never said they are, I just said that the headcrabs don't suck blood. Besides, MLC's post implied zombie crabs, i.e. crabs that are themselves zombies.

I was just nitpicking :P
I like being technical, it makes me feel smart.

Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:08 am

I like the idea of these little contest things, and I think they are good to spur on community creativity, and competition.

I'm nearly done with my entry, and I'm looking forward to the ghoulish things other minds have cooked up. :)

Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:44 pm
Profile WWW

Metal Meltdown wrote:
Miles_T3hR4t wrote:
CrazyMLC wrote:

Headcrabs.

first the headcrab bit.

They kill you then animate you like a puppet, See: Poison headcrab, and fast zombies. they have like no skin, the muscle is all horrible, and its a wonder that they can even move. the only reason headshots work is because the headcrab is there. if it didn't kill you to re-animate you, then melee the crab off, notice that the person is also dead. because they where already a corpse. Also, who says headcrabs don't suck blood, they have to live off of there host's bodily fluids, and therefor NEED to be blood-suckers, i mean, you cut a zombie in half, yeah, there's alot of blood, but i'd bet that if you did that to a still living person, there'd be a hell of a lot more... also there pretty damn thin... sort of wasting away... and headcrab zombies are still just that... zombies, they say as much in game. also given that they are headcrabs, don't you think there also brain eating, since all they seem to say is "YABBA MY ICING! BWAAAAAA"

To specify, No zombie in any game or zombie movie in the past 20 years or so, has been anything but a parasite, or a virus, or not really undead. everything from 28 days later, and resident evil, to halflife, technically even zombies ate my neighbors. Dawn of the dead is clearly an infection. I mean, the exception is purely fantasy-based zombies. so you can take your "oh its not a zombie it's just a parasite or an infection" and choke on it.

Second 40K, that was a joke aimed at the combine because hmm... AR2 Pulse rifle... pulse rifle, where have I heard that, O YEA WH40K TAU LOL... and that one guard army does kinda look like combine... and the different combine symbols remind me of adeptas mechanicus stuffs. It wasn't meant to be serious, its just a joke.

But seriously, everything I've read here has been ZOMBIE... the theme isn't ZOMBIE, its UNDEAD....

Vampire, Ghost, lich, mummy, and more, these are all valid... MAKE COUNT CHOCULA! Hell, make bela lugosi, or Frankenstein's monster. the point of this, I guess is, creativity. to be honest, if we get 9 zombies, and 1 vampire, my vote is going to the vampire on principal, unless there's something REALLY special about one of the zombies. we have enough F-ing zombies.

Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:04 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Just make the crab jump onto someone's head, suck the blood, and eat the brain slowly while the actor flails around.
Easy.

My original idea was Dracula, you know, the works.
Difficult.

Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next