View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Future technologies 

Post Re: Future technologies
Rawtoast wrote:
The plain was tiiiiiny and it barely counts as long range. We're talking DEEP space here.

Deep space just makes things better actually. When you shoot a laser through a vacuum, you don't have to worry about air particles making the photons spread apart. You could shoot a well-focused laser beam a long, long way. Like, easily the distance between the Earth and the Moon, and beyond. And I wasn't using the plane as an example of distance, just an example that the concept is operable (where you were saying the technology didn't exist at all). Like Metal Meltdown said, you could easily refine the process with a photovoltaic receiver specially constructed to receive the laser. Since all of the photons in a laser are in sync with each other (as opposed to regular light which has light of randomly different frequencies and wavelengths) it also makes the receiving a lot easier and decreases the energy loss. None of this is really that far-out with current technology. It's just that there's not much that really demands the technology yet. A Dyson sphere would.

Rawtoast wrote:
I think fusion is much more likely than Dyson.

Well, the funny thing here is that Dyson IS fusion. It's just using an already existing fusion reactor: the Sun.

All I really know right now is that fusion reactors currently use up more energy then they produce. I figure we'll probably get over that hurdle at some point in the future, but the ratio of effort-to-return will have to surpass other energy sources for it to be a viable replacement. I don't really know enough about fusion reactor research to speculate on when or how we would reach that point.

Duh102 wrote:
Isn't the point of a Dyson sphere with habitats that you don't have an Earth anymore?

The concept I have is that you'd start with solar power stations in orbit, then expand them to include habitats, then slowly use the matter from Earth make more habitats to house the entire population of Earth. Then, begin mining asteroids and such to continue to expand your habitat/power station fleet. Each station would collect enough power for itself, more or less, the remainder deficit or surplus leapfrogged from station to station.

Uh, I guess you could go in that direction. Though you'd have to start taking a substantial amount of material out of the Earth to need to ditch it. Plus I can't see humanity just leaving the Earth behind entirely. Too many memories, yo.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:06 pm
Profile YIM

I'm pretty sure a while a go they were going to make a big fusion reactor that would produce a small amount of energy... gonna go look that up now.
EDIT: Apparently still in construction, but yeah, it will apparently result in net power gain

Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:54 am
Profile WWW

Fusion power IS doing Ok at the moment guys.
ITER reckons to have a prototype that actually produces more power than it uses (but doesn't generate electricity yet herp derp) finished by 2018.
So, if everything goes according to plan, we might have a real fusion power plant by 2050. Maybe.

But a Dyson Sphere seems a much better idea long term, satellites would be cheap. The only problem is we need a way of getting energy from the satellites through several thousand kilometres of space without having big wires (which would just be silly). I'm sure you can do that, but we can't do it yet.

Also, solar panels need work. They are so inefficient at the moment it's comical. And they have fusion power syndrome, but worse. (verge of a breakthrough, 3 years, etc etc. for the last 10).

DAMNIT SCIENCE, HURRY UP.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:08 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

self sustaining fusion reactions are one thing

capturing a self sustaining fusion reaction and using that as energy (specifically in order to power the selfsame fusion reactor + a net gain) is quite another

there are two basic schools of fusion power production: small, intense microbursts of "fusion" which are immediately captured for energy, or longer, sustained periods of fusion; quite literally miniature suns. now, on a much smaller scale, you can obviously do things you can't exactly do with the actual sun, so you wouldn't need a dyson sphere per se, but you will need some kind of technology to capture the radiated energy, and you can't just directly convert it.

Also, Exalion, lasers are the perfect method of transferring energy through space, especially if we can tighten up the focus more (or have "power poles" every few hundred thousand km which recollect and tighten the beam). All that's needed is a direct (or indirect) recombination into electrical power at the other end.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:22 am

Grif wrote:
Also, Exalion, lasers are the perfect method of transferring energy through space, especially if we can tighten up the focus more (or have "power poles" every few hundred thousand km which recollect and tighten the beam). All that's needed is a direct (or indirect) recombination into electrical power at the other end.
what about pure electron beams? i suppose any charged body would seriously skew their course, but it would be a more direct transfer... but then again, looking at long term usability, you'd want something less volatile, like light. <_< *defuses own argument*
we really do need better photovoltaic cells.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:02 am
Profile WWW

Geti wrote:
we really do need better photovoltaic cells.

I know eh.

And Grif, couldn't you just put the fusion generator in a bath of water, and generate steam? IE same process as fission and coal powerplants.
Make water hot. Makes steam. Turns turbines.

Because suns are hot, right?

Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:46 am

Well heating water is still what is done to get power from the fusion reactor, just in a slightly less crude way.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:57 am
Profile WWW

at that point, you're losing any energy released as light anyway, but i suppose it would be somewhat viable..

Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:58 am
Profile WWW

As I said, it seems a little more viable short term than building 100 million satellites to cruise around a star.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:31 pm

Grif wrote:

Actually I was speculating: of course you'd focus it as much as possible. But, even if it spread out, couldn't you just make the receiver have an accordingly wider area to catch it all? I mean, as long as all of the light hits the receiver, you'd think it'd work out. We're not trying to burn a hole in something. So it'd be nice if it ended up to where blooming wasn't really a big deal, as long you adjusted for it.

I think we'd want to have as few transferals as possible, since the inefficiency would cut down the end output. Of course, these "power poles" could just be a bunch of mirrors that refocus the laser and aim it elsewhere, which I guess wouldn't be so bad.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:18 pm
Profile YIM

Mirrors actually reduce light by... 20% I think.
So yeah, cut down the 'power poles' to a minimum, if you can't avoid them entirely.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:47 am
happy carebear mom

I think it would depend on the mirroring material. You would mostly need lenses though, I would imagine, to refocus the beam into a more compact shape.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:57 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

yeah, it's more a question of the highest efficiency lens you can get that still refocuses the beam

mirror albedo is a whole other issue, though I think it factors into laser generation

Last edited by Grif on Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:58 am

It's mainly due to imperfections in the mirror. If you could get better mirrors or do it some other way I suppose that'd work.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:07 am
Profile WWW
REAL AMERICAN HERO

411570N3 wrote:
It's mainly due to imperfections in the mirror. If you could get better mirrors or do it some other way I suppose that'd work.

lenses are not mirrors

refocusing a diffuse beam would be the job of a lens, not a mirror

mirrors reflect, lenses direct, prisms split

Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next