View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 5:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Let's make a campaign! 

Post Let's make a campaign!
It looks like Data is a bit asleep with development, so I decided, that we, community should make a campaign ourselves.
Sure, there are missions, but not a whole campaign. Also - If authors of mods would permit we could include every faction mod, that supplies things both fitting into CC and not too strong/weak, so our campaign would be even better.
But first things first: We need to gather a team.
If enough people are gonna participate in this we'll start asking people about them permitting us to use their faction mods(or other things coming in mods if they are good enough).
After some people will gather we will start thinking of some story, that would permit wide range of missions and would not be extremly dull and/or stupid.
Next step will be to create larger amount of ideas for missions, and decide which are best by voting. Best ideas will be refined and sketched(map sketch, bunkers sketches, list of available units and enemies, etc.) and they will be assigned to someone to make them, then every one of us will test it, and post his/hers opinion, and then we will eventually refine it further to make sure that it is as polished as possible.
The goal is to create quite big(lets say that at least 15 missions), interesting campaign with an interesting story (best if it would have few different paths and endings), and fun, dynamic, original missions.

So - who would be interested in this?

Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:06 pm

Post Re: Let's make a campaign!
Asmageddon wrote:
asleep with development

Lies! Have you noticed that CC is still 'in development'? That means that the campaign will come when it does, but in the meantime, there isn't a concrete mission flow as far as we know. Maybe a sub-campaign with somewhat linear gameplay, but not an attempt at a campaign to replace the final product. The current layout for missions is that they tend to be just 'scenarios', and not actual missions with different branches that can be revealed later on. For example, the missions that come with Vanilla CC are not linked at all, and just provide different scenarios, objectives and hazards.

Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:37 pm

That is right, but we CAN make a campaign. Of course it wont replace the complete campaign by Data, but as for now it would be really nice to have a single pack with many new missions and eventually a compilation of other mods. I'm sure this would be very playable, and would bring us fame and glory... Joking, seriously - lets make something like that, it will be really fun to make something bigger co-operatively, and will be nice replacement for campaign from Data until they relase it.

Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:44 pm

Well, any storyline in mind? I can pitch in the Banana Republic, it's pretty much the only really finished faction I have right now.
EDIT: Or, should I say, make us a very good storyline that encompasses all the current factions (ask their owner's permission first) and maybe... just maybe... we'll feel a glimmer of inspiration.

Last edited by carriontrooper on Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:01 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Banned

Of course it won't replace Data's campaigns. Even though he is a terrible game designer, I find it unlikely you will surpass him.

Good luck with that, though.

Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:04 pm
Profile YIM

Well, the main point is to create something organized, as for now most of mods are independent from each other, and scenes/missions are rather single scenarios. In my opinion it would be much better to create some scenarios in cooperation, as it would allow to refine ideas and help each other, and that is sure to make results way better. If you do not like this idea at least support the idea of refining and voting for specific ideas, so when somebody wants to create a mission he knows what will people like most.
I'm not a good storywriter, but I have few ideas for specific missions.
Maybe then few smaller mini-campaigns? Some example ideas: (I doubt if you will like them, as I said - I'm really bad storywriter)
Campaign 1
Something zombie-flavored.
Mission 1: Four soldiers are sent to investigate what happened in research outpost located in mountains, they find out that sciencists did leave a torn piece of paper reading "Help us, they are z...", after that they report to command center, but something hits their rocket used for transport, and their only choice is to enter cave located nearby. Inside they find a strange, covered in rust dropship, however entrance collapses, and they have to go deeper...
Mission 2: They will need the dropship, so they take it, and fly down into the caves, first thing meet is a crab... undead crab... they continue their course, sometimes killing some undead crabs. In a larger cave with a possible way out - long tunnel leading upwards they encounter mother zombie crab, and a... clone soldier armed with rocket launcher riding it. once they kill mother they encounter first humanoid zombies - they fall onto them from tunnel. One man is squashed, and one more is separated from his friends along with dropship.
[NOTE] - if someone else from the one soldier dies, then they find hostage who joins them, and he takes jetpack from body of 'rider'
Mission 3-A: Player controls two of soldiers left in cave, they are injured and only weapons are rocket launcher found within body of their enemy and pistol found near body of one of the zombies. They cannot follow their friend, as cave entrance have collapsed. Their only choice is to go upwards using their jetpacks, but there is a problem - turrets placed on walls, zombies sometimes falling from high above and aggresive crabs in small caves placed on sides of tunnel. Important in this mission is coordination, as player must learn pattern in which zombies fall, and quickly destroy/kill turrets/crabs once they jump to higher place, also zombies do not fall straight down - player have to watch out for both of his bodies, as zombies may harm him. Some zombies are randomly armed with shovels and stones. Once player gets to top (cave open to the left side, two zombie generators at right) some clones armed with heavy weaponry start to attack him, if he manages to get outside and escape - one still left down there gets killed, if player gets killed then clones start to go out of cave, sometimes only pattroling, and second soldier have got fair chance to escape. Anyway - only one gets out.
Mission 3-B: You manage to fly out of the cave, but after that he encounters clones armed with rocket launchers, he dodges and escapes, but cave entrance is collapsed, he goes other way, trough heavy metal door, that couldnt be opened earlier by any means, he barely manages to get trough. This map is a long, big cave, and there is no other choice than to go forward. This is a bit problematic, as some crazy zombie-crabs tend to jump from high above, and player can't travel too fast as he can get detected, something like in half of cave alert arises, and clones down there start attacking player, so he must fly fast and dodge rockets and bullets or jump down and fight (floor is full of stalagmites, stones, etc. so there is a chance). Then he continues to go right, cave floor gets lower and lower, until a cliff. At top of cliff there is a bunker with working dropship and swarm of enemies inside. Then player can load few bombs (there are some in bunker armoury) and fly back, the most important task is to get a digger. After he returns to the big door he meets a convoy transporting some hostage.
Mission 4-B: While rescued hostage digs trough collapsed entrance the soldier have got to protect him, the dropship, and himslef from zombies armed with blunderbuss'es and stones. Then they escape up trough long tunnel up after contacting trough radio with soldier who escaped earlier.
Mission 4-A: Player controls soldier who managed to get outside in 3-A, and he must get a radio from wandering guards, and eventully some weapons. After that he speaks with other soldier and hostage from 3-B, and needs to clear entrance for their dropship.
Mission 5:
They all meet and escape using dropship, but it runs out of fuel. Player controls as much soldiers as he manages to escape from destroyed dropship and land with them safely. They wander a bit to base and find it demolished by zombies, they fight with them a bit to get inside, meet commander, and get killed after that.
It is only a very basic 'sketch', so it is not too detailed, nor made to sound good, but it still is something. Guess you wont like it :P

Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:11 pm

ProjektTHOR wrote:
Of course it won't replace Data's campaigns. Even though he is a terrible game designer, I find it unlikely you will surpass him.

We have WeeGee, and he is very well capable of surpassing Data in designing a campaign.

Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:14 pm

Using file storage, it is even possible to make levels not work unless you played the previous.

Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:23 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

That's just awesome! Nopw all we need is the levels themselves. I can draw levels pretty good, so just pm me with idea/sketch and i'll make them/it.

Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:29 pm

Go! Go! Teamwork! Ill (try to) make guns, since im trying something secretly secret that might make it easier/faster. like for enemies etc etc..

Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:06 pm

I think, that for now if you want to do something then lets gather some people, and - for now - focus on ideas.
We should divide ideas into few types:
-Mini campaigns (3-7 missions and a story)
-Coop campaigns (best with one actor per player, so they cant switch :P)
-Single missions
-Coop missions

As for single missions I think it would be best to focus on survival/some competition ones(in case of coop ones)

@Lizard: Hope that awesome was about general idea, not ideas for this zombie campaign, as I myself find it terrible :P
And as for levels I can draw really good ones myself, even with smooth between-material transition, realistic looking caves, etc. but if you could draw a static objects like stones for use in maps it would be nice.

@MaximDude: WeeGee you say... gonna check out his creations.

Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:26 pm

Its not worth doing yet. You need to wait until Data gets the system to run the campaign and missions in the next build. Any designing you might do now, has a high risk of turning out to be useless.

Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:31 pm
Loose Canon

Designing: A good idea.
Any real work: Hold off on it.

Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:48 pm
Profile WWW

I'm serious, even designing will be useless now. Trust me on this one.
The changes in the next build are very dramatic and can result in lots of work gone in vain.

Story is the only thing you can do, but dont go as far as functional design of missions. Not yet.

Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:09 pm

numgun wrote:
I'm serious, even designing will be useless now. Trust me on this one.
The changes in the next build are very dramatic and can result in lots of work gone in vain.

So you're saying Data didn't get drunk and accidentally the whole CC? I don't believe you.

Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next